Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: April 09, 2015 07:12AM

Packer has always seemed miserable and it makes people miserable to have to listen to him. Mormons are supposed to be happy and the GA's are supposed to die happy men and look forward to the day that they pass on and dwell in the great beyond. you can't convince me that he's looking forward to it all that much. Maybe it's because the presidency is just out of his reach and he is pissed off about it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: April 09, 2015 07:54AM

Or maybe he knows it is all a crock and the only power he has left is making people listen to him berate them.

Posted by: poin0 ( )
Date: April 09, 2015 08:19AM

At this stage, it looks like there is a chance he could out-live Monson, so if being prophet is what he really wants, he should have some hope (it is interesting that he never got called as a counsellor though).

I personally think maybe he'd probably be happier outside the church. However, there's no way of really knowing. He probably has had quite a good like travelling around the world and being automatically adored and respected by people, never having to worry about financial problems, having power, having people obey you without question (he surrounds himself by TBMs probably 99% of the time, he can basically control whatever anybody he meets does).

And he's had his calling and election made sure. So we might think maybe if he was a non-mormon he could've experienced other great things like alcohol, sex, etc, but how do we know he hasn't? If he's had his calling and election made sure, he's allowed to do whatever he wants (apart from murder and denying the holy ghost iirc).

However, as a non-mormon he would've had more freedom, more genuine friendships, less of a guilty conscience (he's human, he surely must feel guilty sometimes about the horrible things he said in the past?).

It's hard to say. For an average TBM I think most of them would be happier outside the church, but the GAs and Apostles live a pretty great life in many ways.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 09, 2015 09:17AM

As a non-Mormon, he could have been enjoying a long and happy retirement. He could have done his paintings and woodcarvings and traveled and puttered to his heart's content. From Steve's post about him, it sounds like he is happier when interacting with his family and not the wider world. So he could have had a quarter century of peace and contentment, just enjoying time with his family. That might have done wonders for his temperament and his character.

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: April 09, 2015 07:41PM

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 10, 2015 03:25PM

He has ALWAYS looked wretched.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: April 10, 2015 03:37PM

I checked my "what if" machine and

If Packer were not Mormon he would have died much younger having opened and overexterted Boyd's Little Factory beyond capacity. He did die much younger, but with a smile on his face.

The "what if" machine does not show him dying with a smile on his face as a Mormon, but he did live to an old age. No heaven for Boyd either way though.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 10, 2015 03:49PM

Too bad for Boyd.

Ain't no beer in heaven, ya gotta drink it on earth.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 11, 2015 12:38AM

Never met the guy.
I did politely sit through one of his rants at education week.

IMO he's one miserable person. If there really is a God and Jesus he should be terrified of dying. He's done so much damage to so many, and all in the name of God. No wonder he needs oxygen.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: April 11, 2015 12:48AM

If ever there was a cautionary tale about being Mormon... If that is the result of "the joy of the gospel", pass the liquor, quickly.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: April 11, 2015 12:59AM

He is just an ass

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: April 11, 2015 01:41AM

If anything, he reminds me of an aunt I had who just loved being miserable and making everyone else as miserable as her. She loved living her life as a soap opera and every physical, emotional and mental ill brought onto her was because of Stan and his minions. She was positive that Stan's minions were all in her ward. The real issue is that her husband became bishop of that ward twice; she loved hearing and guessing the gossip. So misery loves company.

She was only happy if everyone was a miserable and guilt filled as she. There's a phrase for this in German "Schadenfreude"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

In English it's Sadism.

So yes, his Mormonism has made him a much happier man. Unfortunately it is found in the pain and suicide of members who believed him a prophet, seer and revelator of God.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: April 11, 2015 02:32AM

Happier than if he were not mormon? Who knows? It's probably safe to say mormonism made him a much richer man than otherwise. His obvious take directly from, and in relation to, the church is nothing short of obscene.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 11, 2015 03:53AM

Below is a compiled rundown from various sources behind the Zion Curtain with whom I have spoken over time regarding realities reportedly increasingly facing and embracing Boyd K. Packer in terms of his current physical and mental health; his relative position of power and influence in the Mormon Church at this point; and what is expected in terms of the Church's future once he dies.

Also included are assessments by some who are familiar with Packer's situaton as far as explaining his contradictory psychological makeup--one that evidences both a savage and intolerant side, combined with an artistic, softer side.
_____

--Possible Explanation of Boyd K.Packer’s Reputation for Meanness and Vengefulness

It has been suggested that because Packer suffered from polio as a child, as a consequence he was ridiculed and otherwise made fun of by his boyhood peers due to his disability. It has been suggested that, psychologically speaking, Packer never recovered from the personal humiliation of this mistreatment--nor forgot the slights hurled his way. The premise is that as Packer rose to positions of eventual power and influence in the Mormon Church, he projected on to others the same levels of disrespect and revenge that he was subjected to as a polio-stricken child, in an effort to get back at those whom he felt mistreated him. This interpretation of Packer's psyche is said to perhaps account for how and why Packer grew up with a reputation for being quite nasty, vengeful and vindictive, consumed with a deeply hostile urge to get back at people whom he feels do him wrong.

(By the way, discussion of the above ideas was prompted by an article appearing on "Slate's" website detailing the Mormon Church's--(and, in particular, Packer's) hell-bent determination to destroy D. Michael Quinn's personal and professional life: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/faithbased/2012/11/d_michael_quinn_and_mormon_excommunication_the_complicated_life_of_a_mormon.2.html)
_____

--A Kinder, Gentler View of Packer, from a Member of His Family.

Packer’s nephew, Lynn Packer (who broke the Paul Dunn war-story scandal and other Mormon Church fraudulent ventures at significant personal cost to his professional career), told me that he loves his Uncle Boyd. He mentioned how he admires Packer's artistic side that in, private life, manifests itself in nature paintings and woodcarvings of birds. Lynn said that Boyd has a gentler, personal side to his personality that many people do not often see.

Below are some examples of Packer at work on his paintings, along with formal displays, complete with descriptions, of his artistic productions:

-“BYU Exhibit Celebrates the Artwork of President Boyd K. Packer,” https://www.lds.org/church/news/byu-exhibit-celebrates-the-artwork-of-president-boyd-k-packer?lang=eng
“President Boyd K. Packer: Apostle and Artist, https://www.lds.org/ensign/2004/02/president-boyd-k-packer-apostle-and-artist?lang=eng

-“President Packer's Beautiful Artwork Published,” http://religion.byu.edu/news/president-packers-beautiful-artwork-published

-“Photo Gallery: The Artwork of President Packer,” http://ldsliving.com/story/68455-photo-gallery-the-artwork-of-president-packer
“Art of the Apostles (Photos),” http://ldsliving.com/story/76943-art-of-the-apostles-photos

-“Apostles as Artists,” http://lds.net/blog/buzz/entertainment/arts-culture/apostles-artists/

-Boyd K. Paradox--Atist, Apostle, Prophet, Enigma,” http://www.salamandersociety.com/foyer/prophets/boydkpacker/artwork/
_____

--Boyd K. Packer’s Current State of Health

Sources who have had direct contact with Packer have said tell me that, physcialy speaking, he is not doing well at all; that he is essentially physically immobilized and wheelchair-bound: that the effects of his childhood polio are becoming increasingly and recurrently evident; that his power and influence in matters of Mormon Church governance are receding; that he is essentially being marginalized as the Church attempts behind the scenes to move past his problematic legacy; and that, for all intents and purposes, he knows (because his mental powers are still sharp) that his day has come and gone. In other words, the sun is rapidly setting on Packer's pernicious era of callous and clueless savagery.

I've also been told that it is unlikely that a decent, honest, credible in-house Mormon Church history will be written until after Packer finally dies.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: April 11, 2015 04:10AM

Reminds me of old man Potter from Wonderful life.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: April 11, 2015 05:09AM

Based on what Steve has said, I suspect it is very deliberate that Packer has never been called as a member of the first presidency. His seniority would have made him an obvious choice to Monson 7 years ago when his health was probably better, and maybe even to Hinckley when he was made prophet in '95, since he was the more senior apostle to Faust by several years. His abrasiveness and stubborn attitudes about church positions have probably held him back from ever being a member of a first presidency. Unfortunately, this may not hold him becoming Prophet, because if you ask me, Monson looks frail, too, if not quite as frail as Packer. Monson looked gaunt and like he'd lost weight at Conference. Before the decade's over, half the quorum and Monson will all be dead, and Oaks will be Prophet. That's my prediction, anyway.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2015 05:11AM by midwestanon.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: April 11, 2015 05:11AM

Can't you just see that the man is practically bursting with happiness. It's practically a Little Factory sensory overload

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2015 05:12AM by scmd.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.