Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 12, 2015 02:57PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: April 12, 2015 03:01PM

By a "machine" do you mean:

Some sort of sensing/measuring device?
A device for logical calculation?
Something else entirely?

Date: April 13, 2015 12:16PM

Historischer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some sort of sensing/measuring device?
> A device for logical calculation?
> Something else entirely?

I was thinking of "Deep Thoughts" from Hitchhiker's Guide but because I am no scientist or thinker to the level of asking these questions I didn't think of them.

I like the measuring for God and logical/mathematical calculation. At least to disprove God.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 12, 2015 03:08PM

I would have a lot to work through emotionally. I've come to realize that if a god did exist, then he/she/it would have to be as awful as the monster in the Bible is portrayed to be - jealous, murderous, demanding and egotistical.

It either doesn't care or is incapable of taking proper care of its creations. It's absolule no father. Unless he's abusive, no father neglects his children to the extent that this god does.

I would be very angry and would have a lot of questions for this being.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 12, 2015 03:13PM

If a machine could do that, I'd have a lot of respect for the man/men who designed it, and for the machine itself.

As for the ghawd who allowed himself/herself/itself to be discovered, not so much. And certainly no respect for the record he/she/it has compiled.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 12, 2015 03:15PM

Another repair bill.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 12:13AM

I concur

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: April 12, 2015 03:20PM

It depends on who created the machine.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: April 13, 2015 10:39AM

Are you referring to the super dooper, double powered Large Hadron Collider? I know the physicists are desperate to find something that tells them all we think we know is false - that's all they were saying on the news when it was switched back on. Not that they'll find anything straight away (unless they create a black hole like the doomsayers claim is possible) since they have to study all the data collected during the experiments.

They discovered the Higgs Boson, now they have no idea what they are looking for, exactly, but are very excited about the possibilities, apparently.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: April 13, 2015 10:56AM

I think you just dismissed a whole branch of fundamental physics with that comment.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: April 13, 2015 01:07PM

didn't mean to, only quoted the Edinburgh University physicist from the national news. Not Professor Cox who seems to be the UK's favourite physicist at the moment.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 13, 2015 10:44AM

You mean the E-meter?

L. Ron Hubbard is a genius! Where do I send my check?

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: April 13, 2015 10:48AM

It would mean that god still isn't capable of revealing him/ her self.

Man, machine made by man....what's the difference?

Where the heck is god?

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: April 13, 2015 11:05AM

I don't understand the question
I mean, the words all makes sense individually (even the txt spk)
But I cannot envisage a situation where this could happen. what would be the metric? what information could this give us?

It's a very woolly question and I suspect you are expecting people to put more thought into their answers than you have put into the question

Date: April 13, 2015 12:12PM

EssexExMo Wrote:
> It's a very woolly question and I suspect you are
> expecting people to put more thought into their
> answers than you have put into the question

Not at all. I put a lot of thought into it and then I posed it here with no information because I wanted to know what other people thought.

I am reading Carl Sagan's Demon Haunted World. In it he mentions how unfortunate some scientists are in their sound bites. He specifically mentions the Higgs Boson becoming the "God Particle" and quips that they all are God particles.

He also quotes a scientist who thinks machines will prove God one day.

Interesting question I think. One that made me think and I appreciated the responses it got.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 12:13PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: April 13, 2015 11:13AM

Ranging from Adam's garments, Cain's blade and Mark, Noah's Ark, Elijah's cloak, Ark of the Covenant, Urim & Thummin, Liahona, Seer Stones, Jaredites Stones, Ten Commandments, Cross of Jesus, Holy Grail, Shroud of Turin, Saints blood/bones in sacred artifacts...Now we need a machine? Why can't we use all of the other artifacts, pieces, machinery already given to us?

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: April 13, 2015 12:23PM

I think that if there really was a real live God that God could communicate with us much better that choosing lying sob's to tell us what to do. A machine is not the answer. They can be rigged.

Date: April 13, 2015 12:39PM

themaster Wrote:
> They can be rigged.

Yeah, but at least there would be entertainment value in the rigged machine.

With LDS Inc. the mechanism they use to prove God for people is their own feelings. Talk about not seeking eternal validation.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: April 13, 2015 12:36PM

Wouldn't be meaningful to me. I would continue to live my life the way I want, and it would simply be one more observation about reality that really doesn't impact my day-to-day.

I wouldn't stop going to work is what I'm trying to say :)

Date: April 13, 2015 12:38PM

kolobian Wrote:
> I wouldn't stop going to work is what I'm trying
> to say :)

Like Joseph Smith did to start his family con Forever?

Posted by: the investigator ( )
Date: April 13, 2015 12:43PM

What would the carachteristics of god be that it will test.

Date: April 13, 2015 01:21PM

I have no idea. I couldn't even come up with much. I thought that there might be some theoretical condition upon which a form of super intelligence would be the logical reason???

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 13, 2015 07:07PM

That he is completely detached from the outcomes of his creation on this planet at this point for what ever reason. OR that he is more EVIL than any Satan character ever could be.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 13, 2015 07:19PM

Since I have no clue as to who or What that would be, I wouldn't be able to tell if IT had been proven or not. I guess I would have to know how God would be defined by???

Posted by: charles, not logged in ( )
Date: April 13, 2015 10:55PM

If a machine could prove God existed...

The inference is that the SOB does NOT want to be discovered and understandably so. He/she/it/they are such an effin' bane in our lives! Anyway, if such a machine/procedure/experiment/trial exists, I would be troubled. God is nasty.

...what would that mean (if anything)?
That gawd is an intellectual dwarf who likes to play hide and seek, that gawd has no compassion or empathy, that gawd is content with the way things are going. And "discovering" this malicious being could spell trouble for the entire universe.

George Carlin said it best: "War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption...Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed. Results like these do not belong on the résumé of a Supreme Being. This is the kind of shit you'd expect from an office temp with a bad attitude. And just between you and me, in any decently-run universe, this guy would've been out on his all-powerful ass a long time ago."

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 12:03AM

The square root of SFA. Not interested.

RB

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 01:21AM

I cannot imagine how a machine could do that. I'm not sure a machine could prove MY existence to YOU.

Date: April 14, 2015 11:19AM

Excellent point.

I think therefore you must acknowledge my existence.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 02:49PM

Not that I think a machine proving any of the tens of thousands of claimed 'god' things is possible, but...

If it did, nothing would change. If a 'god' of some kind exists (which is not at all plausible), it's not one that actually ever *does* anything. So even if one exists, it's irrelevant. So it one were "proven" to exist, I'd say, "Oh, ok," then get on with life just as I do now.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.