Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: purpleorchid92 ( )
Date: April 11, 2015 11:19PM

I'm a 41 year old mother and I grew up Mormon. As soon as I was old enough, I ran from the church just as fast as I could. I knew from a very young age that the church was not true, and had many questions about the church, and could never get straight answers from anyone. I've been following this board for a while now. I've been lurking in the background just soaking in everyone's comments. I think that you all are a great bunch of people who share a lot in common with me, so I'm asking for your help.

Anyhow, I've decided to go back to school, and have to write a 4,000 word research paper on Religion in the American culture. Well, with my given background, and knowledge that the Mormon church was founded here in the good old USA, I've decided to write about just what a sham it is. The problem is, that the professor has strictly stated that she must not know of our faith, or lack there of, after reading this paper. So, with that being said, I need to have some good concrete, reputable sources to prove just how false it is.I will need to be able to state where I got my information from.

I happen to have lived in Palmarya NY for a few years, and had heard there that JS tried to start several other churches before the lds church. I'd like to find out more about that, but can't find anything other than the church saying that they had changed their name early on.
I also would welcome any other ideas or information anyone has to offer.
Could anyone be of some help to me?

Thank you,
Proud EX Mormon

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: April 11, 2015 11:37PM

This is an excellent starting point, because it gives the historical and religious revivalism of the Burned Over district in upstate NY during that time period and a good overview of Smith's impoverished and superstitious upbringing.

http://www.crookedlakereview.com/books/saints_sinners/martin9.html

I would also provide modern DNA evidence to show how Lamanites can in no way be considered Hebrews.

Date: April 13, 2015 08:18PM

Great advice. Thanks for the ideas. I was thinking of going with proving that the church is a cult like many others. There's so much information to sift through!

Posted by: cupcakełicker (sober) ( )
Date: April 11, 2015 11:42PM

This sounds rather challenging. You want to write a research paper demonstrating that the LDS cult is a farce, but you can't show whether or not you believe in the farce?

What are the guidelines for this paper? Could you focus on a single issue that the cult would prefer to keep quiet? Hatfield & McCoy -ish timeline of mormon-nonmormon violence? The intersection of religion and $$$ in the Kirtland Bank scandal? MMM is a great subject. There are some great primary sources for a lot of events in mormon history.

Date: April 13, 2015 08:21PM

Those are also some great ideas. I really felt that choosing this topic would be challenging to me. Having to be impartial I think will be very difficult since I have so many feelings toward the church. The professor didn't offer any guidelines other than we have to be convincing without disclosing what we believe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 08:23PM by purpleorchid92.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: April 11, 2015 11:42PM

As far starting "other churches" never heard of it, don't think so. In fact the BoM was written to be a novel and sold for profit, not to help establish a religion. It was almost 20 yrs later that "The First Vision" was recorded. The angel showing the "records" of the Ancient Jews in America, i.e. "View of the Hebrews" legend by Ethan Smith.

The name changes of "The Church" were multiple so that is probably what you may have been thinking.

The way to prove the BoM a fraud is to use the CES letter research and Mormonthink websites; also use the essays. The BoA fraud can be found on these sites also.

Names that the church has used: http://www.mormonthink.com/nameweb.htm

Date: April 13, 2015 08:27PM

While I was living in Palmarya, I was told by some of the locals that he had tried to start several other churches. It must be that they were confused as I had not heard of that either.I didn't know if there was any truth to it, and couldn't find any information other than from what you gave that the church changed their name early on several times. I didn't know that the BOM was written as a novel to be sold for profit. The old saying is true that you learn something new every day.
Thanks for your help!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 08:28PM by purpleorchid92.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 11, 2015 11:49PM

I'm not much help with your paper, but congrats on leaving mormonism. I think your paper may difficult to hone down because there is mountains of evidence to sift through. The CES letter is probably a good starting point though. It gives a lot of resource info.

Date: April 13, 2015 08:37PM

Thanks for your thoughts. I had left the church when I moved out of my mother's home when I turned 18. I knew from the time I performed baptisms for the dead that the church was not true. I had so many horrible feelings and questions about it, and the answers I got were not ok with me. I felt so guilty right after I had done it. My first issue was that we were baptizing people to join the church without their consent. I had some major problems with that. My mother told me but of course they want to be baptized. They want to be able to be with their families for all time and eternity don't they?
I told my mother that I had a hard time believing that god would prevent them from being with their families in the after life if there was not opportunity for them to be baptized into the church if the church did not exist during their lifetime. Anyway, that is only one of my issues with the so called church.

Posted by: Religion in America ( )
Date: April 12, 2015 12:00AM

I'm actually a Professor of Religion specializing in Religion in America. My PhD dissertation was on Mormon history as well, so this is kind of my thing. If you want to email me I will be happy to respond, though at a snail's pace as life is quite busy at the moment.

Armand Mauss, eminent LDS sociologist (and relatively objective researcher), created this 16 page file a few years ago and I have copied and pasted below. Sorry for the length, but you can see the literature base in Mormonism is quite rich.

One thing to mention to you is you might find Quinn's work on the The Mormon Hierarchy: Origins of Power
http://www.amazon.com/The-Mormon-Hierarchy-Origins-Power/dp/1560850566

and

The Mormon Hierarchy: Extensions of Power
http://www.amazon.com/The-Mormon-Hierarchy-Extensions-Power/dp/1560850604/ref=pd_sim_b_1/180-1268119-0901330?ie=UTF8&refRID=0VDR232Z8S45PA3CVT8X

Three additional "must reads" on Mormon foundations include:

An Insider's View of Mormon Origins
http://www.amazon.com/An-Insiders-View-Mormon-Origins/dp/1560851570/ref=pd_sim_b_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0BR8N8A0VBZE20T13FGP

and

No Man Knows My History
http://www.amazon.com/No-Man-Knows-My-History/dp/0679730540/ref=pd_sim_b_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0BR8N8A0VBZE20T13FGP

and

The Refiner's Fire
http://www.amazon.com/Refiners-Fire-Making-Cosmology-1644-1844/dp/0521565642/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1428811165&sr=1-1&keywords=the+refiners+fire

I hope this helps!

Here's the file from Mauss:

THE LITERATURE BASE FOR MORMON STUDIES
AS A DISTINCT ACADEMIC SUBDISCIPLINE

Armand L. Mauss

INTRODUCTION

The study of Mormons as a separate academic subdiscipline developed gradually from the middle to the end of the twentieth century. In its chronology and trajectory, this development was not unlike that of Religious Studies more generally: At midcentury, Mormon Studies had a very small literature base and was generally not recognized by scholars in history, religion, or the social sciences as an important subdiscipline. In history and in the social sciences, at least, the dominant academic paradigm for the study of religion, including Mormonism, assumed that the secularization process, so inevitable in modern societies, would eventually transform all “sects” into “churches” and thence into societal assimilation and irrelevance. The emergence of Religious Studies, and of the Sociology of Religion, as viable and indispensible subdisciplines was stimulated by the unexpected rise of new religious movements (NRMs) and by various expressions of religious fundamentalism starting in the late 1960s. These developments, in turn, required, a serious reassessment, before the end of the century, of the time-honored “secularization” assumption, and a new agenda, guided by a new paradigm, for the academic study of religion.
The study of Mormons by social scientists and historians grew in scope and depth as part of this same general resurgence, but other important factors contributed as well. One contributing factor was a rapid rise after mid-century in the general socio-economic status of Mormons, particular in average education level, as Mormon veterans of World War II took advantage of the educational benefits of the “G. I. Bill” to seek college degrees, including advanced degrees, often outside of Utah. Some of these young scholars opted for academic careers in the social sciences, history, and the humanities, where they began to devote some of their career efforts to studies of their own religious heritage. Another contributing factor was the decision by the LDS leadership itself, at least temporarily during the 1970s, to sponsor the research and publication of academic histories of its church and people ( Walker et al. 2001, Chapter 3; Arrington 1998). At about the same time, the church created its own Research Information Division, an internal social research enterprise that thrives to the present day (Walker et al. 2001: 160-63). Still another contributing factor was the decision by a key editor at the University of Illinois Press, starting in the mid-1960s, to build a special “Mormon list” of academic studies of Mormons and Mormonism, a list that grew rapidly during the ensuing decades. In any case, for more than one reason, a genuine, non-polemical, scholarly literature on the Mormons has greatly proliferated since the 1950s (Walker et al. 2001: Chapters 3 and 5). We shall begin with a review of the major publishers responsible for this literature.

MAJOR PUBLISHERS OF SCHOLARLY LITERATURE ON THE MORMONS

Book Publishers
As indicated above, the University of Illinois Press became the single most prolific publisher of Mormon-related scholarly works between 1965 and 2005, producing nearly seventy titles, most of which are still in print (www.press.uillinois.edu). The impetus for this rather surprising development might have come from the unexpected success of two of the earliest products of this initiative at Illinois (Flanders 1965 and Oaks & Hill 1975), both of which focused on the brief but dramatic Mormon chapter in Illinois state history. The full development of the Mormon list at this university press would not have occurred, however, without the enterprise of one of the senior editors, Elizabeth Dulany, who took a special interest in building that list for her own reasons. Not a Mormon herself, Dulany might have simply considered the historic Mormon connection with Illinois (1839-1846) to be a fruitful source of new and unexploited scholarly material. She might also have been influenced by her friendship with Jan Shipps, nationally the best known non-Mormon scholar in Mormon studies. Whatever the reasons, it would be fair to say that the University of Illinois Press is disproportionately responsible for the creation of the solid literature base on which the new subdiscipline of Mormon Studies has been built to date. Most of these works are historical in nature, but many of them have also come out of various other disciplines in the social sciences and the humanities.
University presses in Utah have also been important publishers of books on Mormon subjects, but not to the extent that one might perhaps expect in a state that is so predominantly Mormon in population. The University of Utah Press (www.uofupress.com) had periodically published a few important works on Mormons all along (e. g. Ericksen 1975; Embry 1987; Fife and Fife 1980; Nelson 1952; Shepherd and Shepherd 1984); but in the 1980s an editorial decision was apparently made to relinquish such publishing to others, perhaps because of the constant political strains between Mormons and non-Mormons on the editorial board and on the university faculty more generally. The recent publication of a biography of an important mid-twentieth century president of the church (Prince and Wright 2005) might signal an end to that press’s boycott of Mormon studies.
The Utah State University Press in Logan (www.usu.edu/usupress) has not been reluctant to publish important historical and other works on Mormons in recent decades (e. g. Bush 2004; Card et al. 1990; Gerlach 1982; Tullis 1987), but its resources have not made possible a great breadth and variety. Brigham Young University attempted to maintain a press during the 1960s and 1970s, but lately this press is little more than a logo used occasionally on publications under the auspices of certain specific university units, such as the Religious Studies Center or the periodical BYU Studies. Such books as have appeared in history or the social sciences have usually been published under these special auspices or else in collaboration with other presses. Outside of Utah and Illinois, a few other university presses have also taken on Mormon-related books, as will be apparent from a glance down the bibliography provided at the end of this essay. Most prominent among these is the Oxford University Press, which has recently published several such books, but the University of Oklahoma Press has recently decided to expand its Mormon list.
Of the strictly commercial presses, by far the most important one in Mormon Studies is Signature Books, based in Salt Lake City, which has produced a number of distinguished scholarly works about Mormons, both in history and in current issues, since its inception in 1980 (www.signaturebooks.com). Some of its books have been quite critical, at least implicitly, of traditional Mormon truth-claims, policies, or practices, which have made it less appealing to both authors and readers of a more orthodox bent. Nevertheless, it is the single most prolific commercial publisher of scholarly works on the Mormons. Greg Kofford Books of Salt Lake City (www.koffordbooks.com) also specializes in Mormon Studies, but it is a much newer and smaller operation and rather a specialized publisher in limited editions of important works that might not otherwise be published. So far it has published works in history and theology, with little or nothing in other disciplines. Not surprisingly, the biggest commercial publisher of Mormon-related works in the world is the Deseret Book Company, based in Salt Lake City, and controlled by the LDS Church (www.deseretbook.com). Until the 1990s, it was a major publisher of scholarly (if somewhat apologetic) works, but in recent years it has largely abandoned this field and now specializes instead in popular and devotional books, videos, CDs, accessories, and the like. There are some important exceptions to this generalization, such as its 2005 publication of an important biography of a church president (Kimball 2005), which, as the Preface to this book makes clear, was an unusual and controversial decision. With very few exceptions, then, Deseret Book today is no longer producing many books of sound and independent scholarship.

Periodical Literature in Social Science and Religion
In the social scientific study of religion, the three major journals have all carried articles on Mormons (Latter-day Saints) on a fairly regular basis since the mid-1960s, and with increasing frequency in more recent years : (1) The Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion (www.sssrweb.org >JSSR); (2) The Review of Religious Research (http://rra.hartsem.edu >RRR) – based at the Hartford Seminary; and (3) the Sociology of Religion, formerly Sociological Analysis (www.sociologyofreligion.com), all of which are published by parent scholarly societies. Any bibliographic search not including these journals would be woefully inadequate for anyone studying Mormons. The mainstream journals of sociology, whether national (American Sociological Review, American Journal of Sociology, and Social Forces) or regional (e. g. Social Inquiry and Sociological Perspectives, formerly the Pacific Sociological Review), have carried articles on Mormons much less frequently. The journals of such sister disciplines as anthropology and psychology have carried articles on Mormons even more rarely (but browse www.ingentaconnect.com and www.psywww.com/psyrelig > Resources for Further Study > Index of Primary Journals). An interesting development of the past two decades or so is the growing interest in religion by scholars in the discipline of economics, who have contributed significantly to the creation of the “new paradigm” mentioned earlier. (www.religionomics.com). A few articles about Mormons have begun to appear in the pages of journals in economics (e. g. Journal of Political Economy), and Mormons are often featured as exemplifying many of the propositions in the new paradigm more generally (Stark and Finke 2000).

Scholarly Societies and Periodicals from the Mormon Subculture Itself
The generation of Mormon scholars which newly emerged at midcentury began founding its own scholarly societies and journals soon after finishing their graduate degrees. Most of these new institutions are interdisciplinary, but theology, history and the social sciences have been the main preoccupations. Nearly all have been founded and maintained entirely independent of church control, sometimes to the dismay of the more conservative church leaders. While these publications include personal essays, devotional articles, fiction, and poetry, they are also the most important periodicals of serious and competent historical and social science scholarship on the Mormons. Most are carefully refereed by expert peers, including many scholars who happen to be non-Mormons or lapsed Mormons. Premier among these journals is Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought, but the others are all produced with equal competence. Following is a brief description of each in the chronological order of its founding.
Brigham Young University Studies or BYU Studies (1959 - ). Edited and published quarterly in Provo, Utah, at BYU. Articles in theology, history, and the social sciences are peer reviewed and generally of strong scholarly calibre, but given the official Church auspices, the editorial policy is cautious and faith-affirming. Articles vary among research-based pieces, personal essays, fiction, and poetry (http://byustudies.byu.edu >Products>Articles).
Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought (1966 - ). Published quarterly in Salt Lake City but edited in various locations depending on the residence of the editor. Independently owned and published by the Dialogue Foundation of Salt Lake City. Articles are peer reviewed and generally of strong scholarly calibre. Like BYU Studies, each issue contains different kinds of articles, many of which deal with current Mormon history or social issues, including some rather controversial ones. Dialogue produces a DVD containing all back issues, fully indexed, searchable, and updated biennially (www.dialoguejournal.com).
Journal of Mormon History, or JMH (1974 - ). Published annually, 1974-91, then semi-annually from 1992-2004, and thereafter thrice annually. Independently owned and published by the 1200-member Mormon History Association (est.1965) in Salt Lake City. This Association holds annual conferences at various sites of special historical significance for Mormons in the U. S. and elsewhere. Articles are peer reviewed, generally of strong scholarly calibre, and exclusively historical in nature, though sometimes recent or current history. This journal too produces a DVD containing all back issues, fully indexed, searchable, and updated periodically (www.mhahome.org).
Sunstone (1975 - ). Edited and published in Salt Lake City in glossy magazine format, usually four or five times annually. It is independently owned by the Sunstone Foundation of Salt Lake City, which also sponsors the annual Sunstone Symposium in Utah each summer, as well as smaller regional symposia at other times of the year. Not a scholarly journal in the usual sense, Sunstone is nevertheless a “high-brow” magazine for intellectuals, featuring shorter articles than those found in the other periodicals. Many of the articles are substantial scholarly treatments of theological, historical, or current social issues. Of all the publications mentioned here, Sunstone is the one most likely to publish controversial and even irreverent articles, stories, letters, news items, and cartoons (www.sunstoneonline.com).
Mormon Social Science Assocation (MSSA): Founded in the late 1970s as the “Society for the Sociological Study of Mormon Life” (SSSML), this society changed its cumbersome name in the mid-1990s. It originally met with the annual conferences of the Pacific Sociological Association, but since the mid-1980s it has met with the Society for the Scientific Study of Religion and has sponsored two or three special sessions in each of that society’s annual conferences. It sponsors the Glenn M. Vernon Memorial Lecture in alternate years. It has a membership of fewer than a hundred, perhaps a third of whom are occasional attendees or participants in the SSSR/MSSA conferences, and it publishes a semi-annual Newsletter (www.mormonsocialscience.org). MSSA sponsored and paid for the production of the September, 1984, issue of the Review of Religious Research containing a special collection of Mormon-related articles. A collection of essays marking the 50th anniversary of Thomas F. O’Dea’s The Mormons, currently in press, was sponsored by the MSSA.
John Whitmer Historical Association Journal (1981 - ) is published annually by the John Whitmer Historical Association of Independence, Missouri, a scholarly society founded by members of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (RLDS), recently renamed The Community of Christ. The editorial office moves depending on the residence of the editor, but it is usually located in the Midwest. The JWHA Journal publishes peer-reviewed articles of strong scholarly calibre with special focus on the history and experience of members of the RLDS Church (or Community of Christ), although many of its articles are also relevant to the Utah Mormon experience, and some of its authors are members of the Utah-based church (www.jwha.info).

COMPREHENSIVE LIST OF SCHOLARLY BOOKS ON THE MORMONS

NOTE : This list of books is not exhaustive, but it represents the great majority of scholarly books published on the Mormons since the middle of the twentieth century, with a special focus on history and the social sciences. Many other books have been published in theology, literature, and the fine arts within the Mormon faith community, but they are not cited here. Descriptions of the most important publishers in Mormon Studies have been provided above. Notice particularly, though, how many of these books have been published by respectable university or commercial presses outside of Utah.

Alexander, Thomas G. 1986. Mormonism in Transition: A History of the Latter-day Saints, 1890-1930. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
______, ed. 1991. Great Basin Kingdom Revisited: Contemporary Perspectives. Logan, UT: Utah State University Press.
Allen, James B. and Glen M. Leonard. 1992. The Story of the Latter-day Saints. 2nd Ed. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co.
______, Ronald K. Esplin, and David J. Whittaker. 1992. Men with a Mission: The Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in the British Isles, 1837-1841. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co.
______, Ronald W. Walker, and David J. Whittaker. 2000. Studies in Mormon History, 1830-1997: An Indexed Bibliography. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press (with a Topical Guide to Social Science Literature on the Mormons).
Altman, I and J. Ginat. 1996. Polygamous Families in Contemporary Society. New York: Cambridge University Press.
Anderson, C. LeRoy. 1981. For Christ Will Come Tomorrow: The Saga of the Morrisites. Logan, UT: Utah State University Press.
Anderson, Nels. 1968 [1942]. Desert Saints: The Mormon Frontier in Utah. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Arrington, Leonard J. 2004 [1958]. Great Basin Kingdom: An Economic History of the Latter- day Saints. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. 2nd Edition: University of Illinois Press.
______. 1985. Brigham Young: American Moses. New York: A. A. Knopf.
______. 1998. Adventures of a Church Historian. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
______ and Davis Bitton. 1992. The Mormon Experience. 2nd Ed. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press (originally A. A. Knopf, 1979)
______, Feramorz Fox, and Dean L. May. 1976. Building the City of God: Community and Cooperation among the Mormons. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book.
Backman, Milton V. 1983. The Heavens Resound: A History of the Latter-day Saints in Ohio, 1830-1838. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book.
Bagley, Will. 2002. Blood of the Prophets: Brigham Young and the Massacre at Mountain Meadows. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press.
Baer, Hans A. 1988. Recreating Utopia in the Desert: A Sectarian Challenge to Mormonism. Albany: SUNY Press.
Bahr, Howard M., Spencer J. Condie, and Kristen L. Goodman. 1982. Life in Large Families: Views of Mormon Women (Washington, DC: University Press of America.
Barlow, Philip L. 1991. Mormons and the Bible: The Place of the Latter-day Saints in American Religion. New York: Oxford University Press.
Beecher, Maureen U. and Lavina F. Anderson, eds. 1987. Sisters in Spirit: Mormon Women in Historical and Cultural Perspective. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
Bennett, Richard E. 2004. Mormons at the Missouri, 1846-1852. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press. 2nd edition
______. 1997. We’ll Find the Place: The Mormon Exodus, 1846-1848. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co.
Bennion, Janet. 1998. Women of Principle: Female Networking in Contemporary Mormon Polygyny. New York: Oxford University Press.
______. 2004. Desert Patriarchy: Mormon and Mennonite Communities in the Chihuahua Valley. Tucson: University of Arizona Press.
Bergera, Gary J. and Ronald Priddis. 1985. Brigham Young University: A House of Faith. Salt Lake City: Signature Books
Bitton, Davis. 1994. The Ritualization of Mormon History and Other Essays. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
______, and Leonard J. Arrington. 1988. Mormons and Their Historians. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press.
Bloxham, V. B., J. R. Moss, and L. C. Ported, eds. 1987. Truth Will Prevail: The Rise of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the British Isles, 1837-1987. Solihull, England: Church of J. C. of L. D. S.
Bloom, Harold.1992. The American Religion: The Emergence of a Post-Christian Nation. New York: Simon and Schuster (Part II, 77-128, deals with the Mormons).
Brady, Frederick R. 1979. The Japanese Reaction to Mormonism and the Translation of Mormon Scripture into Japanese. Tokyo, Japan: Sophia University Press.
Bradley, Martha S. 1993. Kidnapped from that Land: The Government Raids on the Short Creek Polygamists. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press.
______. 2005. Pedestals and Podiums: Utah Women, Religious Authority, and Equal Rights. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
Bringhurst, Newell G. 1981. Saints, Slaves, and Blacks: The Changing Place of Black People within Mormonism. Westport, CT: Greenwood.
______. 1986. Brigham Young and the Expanding American Frontier. Little, Brown & Co. (paperback)
______. 1999. Fawn McKay Brodie: A Biographer’s Life. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press.
______, and Lavina Fielding Anderson, eds. 2004. Excavating the Mormon Pasts: The New Historiography of the Last Half Century. Salt Lake City: Greg Kofford Books.
______, and Darron T. Smith, eds. 2004. Black and Mormon. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
Britsch, R. Lanier. 1986. Unto the Islands of the Sea: A History of the Latter-day Saints in the Pacific. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book.
______. 1998. From the East: A History of the Latter-day Saints in Asia, 1851- 1996. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book.
Brodie, Fawn M. 1945. No Man Knows My History: The Story of Joseph Smith, the Mormon Prophet. New York: Alfred Knopf. (2nd edition 1971).
Brooke, John L. 1994. The Refiner’s Fire: The Making of Mormon Cosmology, 1644- 1844. Cambridge University Press.
Brooks, Juanita.1950. The Mountain Meadows Massacre. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.
Brown, S. K., D. Q. Cannon, and R. H. Jackson, eds. 1994. Historical Atlas of Mormonism. Simon & Schuster.
Browning, Gary L. 1997. Russia and the Restored Gospel. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co.
Bush, Laura L. 2004. Faithful Transgressions in the American West: Six Twentieth-Century Mormon Women’s Autobiographical Acts. Logan, UT: Utah State University Press.
Bush, Lester E. Jr. 1993. Health and Medicine among the Latter-day Saints: Science, Sense, and Scripture. New York: Crossroad.
Bush, Lester E. and Armand L. Mauss, eds. 1984. Neither White nor Black: Mormon Scholars Confront the Race Issue in a Universal Church. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
Bushman, Claudia L., ed. 1997 [1976]. Mormon Sisters: Women in Early Utah. Logan, UT: Utah State University Press.
______. 2006. Contemporary Mormonism: Latter-day Saints in Modern America. Westport, CT: Praeger
______ and Richard L. Bushman. 2001. Building the Kingdom: A History of Mormons in America. New York: Oxford University Press
Bushman, Richard L. 1984. Joseph Smith and the Beginnings of Mormonism. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
______. 2005. Joseph Smith, Rough Stone Rolling: A Cultural Biography of Mormonism’s Founder. New York: Alfred Knopf.
Campbell, Eugene E. 1988. Establishing Zion: The Mormon Church in the American West. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
Card, Brigham Y., Herbert C. Northcott, John E. Foster, Howard Palmer, and George K. Jarvis, eds. 1990. The Mormon Presence in Canada. Edmonton: University of Alberta Press, and Logan, UT: Utah State University Press.
Christensen, S. R. 1999. Sagwitch: Shoshone Chieftain, Mormon Elder, 1822-1887. Logan, UT : Utah State University Press.
Compton, Todd. 1997. In Sacred Loneliness: The Plural Wives of Joseph Smith. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
Cooper, Rex E. 1990. Promises Made to the Fathers: Mormon Covenant Organization. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press.
Corcoran, Brent D., ed. 1994. Multiply and Replenish: Mormon Essays on Sex and the Family. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
Cornwall, Marie, Tim B. Heaton, and Lawrence A. Young, eds. 1994. Contemporary Mormonism: Social Science Perspectives. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
Cowan, Richard O. 1985. The Church in the Twentieth Century. Salt Lake City: Bookcraft.
Cuch, F. S., ed. 2000. A History of Utah’s American Indians. Logan: Utah State University Press.
Cuthbert, Derek A. 1987. The Second Century: Latter-day Saints in Great Britain, 1937-1987. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Davies, Douglas J., ed. 1996. Mormon Identities in Transition. UK: Cassell
______. 2000. The Mormon Culture of Salvation: Force, Grace, and Glory. UK: Ashgate Publishing.
______. 2003. An Introduction to Mormonism. UK: Cambridge University Press.
Daynes, Kathryn M. 2001. More Wives than One: Transformation of the Mormon Marriage System, 1840-1910. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
Derr, Jill M., J. R. Cannon, and M. U. Beecher. 1992. Women of the Covenant: The Story of the Relief Society. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book.
Duke, James T., ed. 1998. Latter-day Saint Social Life: Social Research on the LDS Church and Its Members. Provo, UT: Religious Studies Center, Brigham Young University.
Dyer, William G. and Phillip R. Kunz. 1986. Effective Mormon Families: How They See Themselves. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co.
Edwards, Paul M. 1984. Preface to Faith: A Philosophical Inquiry into RLDS Beliefs. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
______. 1991. Our Legacy of Faith: A Brief History of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Independence, MO: Herald Publishing House.
Eliason, Eric A. ed. 2001. Mormons and Mormonism: An Introduction to an American World Religion. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
Embry, Jessie L. 1987. Mormon Polygamous Families: Life in the Principle. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press.
______. 1994. Black Saints in a White Church: Contemporary African American Mormons. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
______. 1998. “In His Own Language:” Mormon Spanish-Speaking Congregations in the United States. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
______. 1999. Asian-American Mormons: Bridging Cultures. Provo: Charles Redd Center, Brigham Young University.
Epperson, Steven. 1992. Mormons and Jews: Early Mormon Theologies of Israel. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
Ericksen, Ephraim E. 1975 [1922]. The Psychological and Ethical Aspects of Mormon Group Life. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press.
Evenson, William E. and Duane E. Jeffery, eds. 2005 Mormonism and Evolution: The LDS Authoritative Statements. Salt Lake City: Greg Kofford Books.
Fife, Austin E. and Alta S. Fife. 1980 [1956]. Saints of Sage and Saddle: Folklore among the Mormons. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press.
Finke, Roger, and Rodney Stark. 1992. The Churching of America, 1776-1990: Winners and Losers in Our Religious Economy. Rutgers University Press (historical context for the rise of Mormonism).
Firmage, Edwin B. and R. Collin Mangrum. 1988. Zion in the Courts: A Legal History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
Flake, Kathleen. 2004. The Politics of American Religious Liberty: The Seating of Senator Reed Smoot, Mormon Apostle. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.
Flanders, Robert B. 1965. Nauvoo: Kingdom on the Mississippi. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
Foster, Lawrence. 1981. Religion and Sexuality: Three Communal Experiments of the Nineteenth Century. New York: Oxford University Press.
______. 1991. Women, Family and Utopia: Communal Experiments of the Shakers, the Oneida Community, and the Mormons. Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Press.
Francaviglia, Richard. 2003. Believing in Place: A Spiritual Geography of the Great Basin. Reno: University of Nevada Press.
Gerlach, Larry R. 1982. Blazing Crosses in Zion: The Ku Klux Klan in Utah. Logan: Utah State University Press.
Givens, Terryl L. 1997. The Viper on the Hearth: Mormons, Myths, and the Construction of Heresy. Oxford University Press.
______. 2002. By the Hand of Mormon: The American Scripture that Launched a New World Religion. New York: Oxford University Press.
______. 2004. The Latter-day Saint Experience in America. Westport, Ct.: Greenwood.
______. 2007. People of Paradox: A Cultural History of the Mormon People. New York: Oxford University Press.
Godfrey, Kenneth W., Audrey M. Godfrey, and Jill M. Derr, eds. Women’s Voices: An Untold Story of the Latter-day Saints, 1830-1900. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book.
Golden, Daniel. 2006. “In Religion Studies, Universities Bend to Views of Faithful.” Wall Street Journal, April 6, A-1.
Gooren, Henri P. P. 1998. Rich among the Poor: Church, Firm, and Household among Small-Scale Entrepreneurs in Guatemala City. Utrecht: University of Utrecht Press. (Deals with Mormons and other religions new to Central America).
Gordon, Sarah Barrington. 2002. The Mormon Question: Polygamy and Constitutional Conflict in Nineteenth Century America. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.
Hallwas, J. E. and R. D. Launius, eds. 1995. Cultures in Conflict: A Documentary History of the Mormon War in Illinois. Logan: Utah State University Press.
Handley, George B., Terry B. Ball, and Steven L. Peck, eds. 2006. Stewardship and Creation: LDS Perspectives on the Environment. Provo, UT: Religious Studies Center, Brigham Young University.
Hanks, Maxine, ed. 1992. Women and Authority: Re-emerging Mormon Feminism. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
Hansen, Klaus J. 1981 Mormonism and the American Experience. University of Chicago Press.
Hardy, B. Carmon. 1992. Solemn Covenant: The Mormon Polygamous Passage. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
Hardy, Grant. ed. 2003. The Book of Mormon: Reader’s Edition. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
Haslam, G. M. 1984. Clash of Cultures: The Norwegian Experience with Mormonism, 1842-1920. New York: Peter Lang.
Hazen, Craig J. 2000. The Village Enlightenment in America: Popular Religion and Science in the Nineteenth Century. University of Illinois Press.
Heaton, Tim B., Thomas A. Hirschl, and Bruce A. Chadwick, eds. 1996. Utah in the 1990s: A Demographic Perspective. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
Heaton, Tim B., Stephen J. Bahr, and Cardell K. Jacobson. 2004. A Statistical Profile of Mormons: Health, Wealth, and Social Life. Lewiston, NY: Edwin Mellen Press.
Hicks, Michael. 2003 [1989]. Mormonism and Music: A History. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press. 2nd edition.
Hill, Donna. 1977. Joseph Smith, the First Mormon. New York: Doubleday.
Hill, Marvin S. 1989. Quest for Refuge: The Mormon Flight from American Pluralism. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
Howard, Richard P. 1992. The Church through the Years Volume 1: RLDS Beginnings to 1860. Independence, MO: Herald House.
Hughes, Richard T., ed. 1988. The American Quest for the Primitive Church. University of Illinois Press. (Historical context for the rise of Mormonism).
______. 1995. The Primitive Church in the Modern World. University of Illinois Press.
Iber, Jorge. 2000. Hispanics in the Mormon Zion, 1912-1999. Texas A & M University Press.
Iversen, Joan Smyth. 1997. The Antipolygamy Controversy in U. S. Women’s Movements, 1880-1925: A Debate on the American Home. (Volume 2 in Development of American Feminism Series). New York: Garland Publishing Co.
Jensen, Richard L. and Malcolm R. Thorp, eds. 1989 Mormons in Early Victorian Britain. University of Utah Press.
Johnson, Melvin C. 2006. Polygamy on the Pedernales: Lyman Wight’s Mormon Villages in Antebellum Texas, 1843-1858. Logan: Utah State University Press.
Jones, Sondra. 2000. The Trial of Don Pedro Leon Lujan: The Attack against Indian Slavery and Mexican Traders in Utah. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press.
Kern, Louis J. 1981. An Ordered Love: Sex-Roles and Sexuality in Victorian Utopias. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.
Kimball, Edward L. 2005. Lengthen Your Stride: The Presidency of Spencer W. Kimball. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co.
Kimball, Richard I. 2003. Sports in Zion: Mormon Recreation, 1890-1940. University of Illinois Press.
Kissi, Emmanuel Abu. 2004. Walking in the Sand: A History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Ghana. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co.
Launius, Roger D. and W. B. Spillman, eds. 1991. Let Contention Cease: The Dynamics of Dissent in the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
______, and Linda Thatcher, eds. 1994. Differing Visions: Dissenters in Mormon History. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
Lee, George P. 1987. Silent Courage: An Indian Story (autobiography of a Native American LDS church leader). Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co.
Leonard, Glen M. 2002. Nauvoo: A Place of Peace, a People of Promise. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co.
Leone, Mark P. 1979. The Roots of Modern Mormonism. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
LeSueur, S. C. 1987. The 1838 Mormon War in Missouri. University of Missouri Press.
Logue, Larry M. 1988. A Sermon in the Desert: Belief and Behavior in Early St. George, Utah. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
Long, E. B. 1981. The Saints the Union: Utah Territory during the Civil War. University of Illinois Press.
Lucas, James W. and Warner P. Woodworth. 1996. Working toward Zion: Principles of the United Order for the Modern World. Salt Lake City: Aspen Books.
Ludlow, Daniel H., ed. 1992. The Encyclopedia of Mormonism. 5 vols. New York: Macmillan.
Lyman, E. Leo. 1986. Political Deliverance: The Mormon Quest for Utah Statehood. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
______. 2004. The Overland Journey from Utah to California: Wagon Travel from the City of the Saints to the City of Angels. Reno: University of Nevada Press.
Madsen, Carol C. 2006. An Advocate for Women: The Public Life of Emmeline B. Wells, 1870-1920. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co.
______ and Cherry B. Silver, eds. 2005. New Scholarship on Latter-day Saint Women in the Twentieth Century: Selections from the Women’s History Initiative Seminars, 2003-2004. Provo, UT: Smith Institute for LDS History, BYU
Mangum, Garth L. and Bruce D. Blumell. 1993. The Mormons’ War on Poverty: A History of LDS Welfare, 1830-1990. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press.
Matis, Fred, Marilyn Matis, and Ty Mansfield. 2006. In Quiet Desperation: Understanding the Challenge of Same-Gender Attraction. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co.
Mauss, Armand L. 1994. The Angel and the Beehive: The Mormon Struggle with Assimilation. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
______, ed. 1996. Mormons and Mormonism in the Twenty-First Century: Prospects and Issues. Published as Vol. 29, No.1, of Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought.
______. 2003. All Abraham’s Children: Changing Mormon Conceptions of Race and Lineage. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
______ and Dynette Ivie Reynolds. 2000. “A Topical Guide to Published Social Science Literature on the Mormons.” Pp. 1059-1152 in Studies in Mormon History, 1830-1997, compiled by James B. Allen, Ronald W. Walker, and David J. Whittaker. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
May, Dean L. 1994. Three Frontiers: Family, Land and Society in the American West, 1850-1900. Cambridge University Press. (Comparison of a Mormon community with two others in the West).
McMurrin, Sterling M. 1959. The Philosophical Foundations of Mormon Theology. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press.
______. 2000 [1965]. The Theological Foundations of the Mormon Religion. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
Metcalf, Brent L., ed. 1993. New Approaches to the Book of Mormon: Explorations in Critical Methodology. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
Metcalf, Warren R. 2002. The Discarded Indians of Utah. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press.
Moore, R. Laurence. 1986. Religious Outsiders in the Making of Americans. New York: Oxford University Press. (Mormons used as a key example)
Morrison, Alexander B. 1990. The Dawning of a Brighter Day: The Church in Black Africa. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book.
Mosser, Carl, and Paul Owen. 1998. “Mormon Scholarship, Apologetics, and Evangelical Neglect: Losing the Battle and Not Knowing It.” Trinity Journal of Theology 19:179-205.
Mulder, William. 2000 [1957]. Homeward to Zion: The Mormon Migration from Scandinavia. University of Minnesota Press (paperback reissue).
Nelson, Lowry. 1952. The Mormon Village: A Pattern and Technique of Land Settlement. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press.
Neilson, Reid L. and Van C. Gessel. 2006. Taking the Gospel to the Japanese, 1901-2001. 2006. Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press.
Newton, Majorie. 1991. Southern Cross Saints: The Mormons in Australia. Laie, Hawaii: Institute for Polynesian Studies.
Nichols, Jeffrey. 2002. Prostitution, Polygamy, and Power: Salt Lake City 1847-1918. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
Oaks, Dallin H. and Marvin S. Hill. 1975. Carthage Conspiracy: The Trial of the Accused Assassins of Joseph Smith. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
O’Dea, Thomas F. 1957. The Mormons. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Ostling, Richard N. and Joan K. Ostling. 1999. Mormon America: The Power and the Promise. San Francisco: HarperSanFrancisco.
Palmer, Spencer J. 1970. The Church Encounters Asia. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book.
______. 1978. The Expanding Church. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book.
Paul, Erich Robert. 1992. Science, Religion, and Mormon Cosmology. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
Peterson, John A. 1998. Utah’s Black Hawk War. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press
Phillips, Rick. 2004. Conservative Christian Identity and Same-Sex Orientation: The Case of Gay Mormons. Peter Lang Publishing Co.
Priddis, Ronald, and Gary J. Bergera. 1993. The Lord’s University: Inside BYU. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
Prince, Gregory A. and William R. Wright. 2005. David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press.
Quinn, D. Michael. 1983. J. Reuben Clark: The Church Years. Provo: Brigham Young University Press.
______, ed., 1992. The New Mormon History: Revisionist Essays on the Past. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
______. 1994. The Mormon Hierarchy: Origins of Power. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
______. 1997. The Mormon Hierarchy: Extensions of Power. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
______. 1998. Early Mormonism and the Magic World View. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
______. 2002. Elder Statesman: A Biography of J. Reuben Clark. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
Reynolds, Noel B., ed. 1982. Book of Mormon Authorship: New Light on Ancient Origins. Provo, UT: BYU Religious Studies Center.
______, ed. 1997. Book of Mormon Authorship Revisited: The Evidence for Ancient Origins. Provo, UT: BYU Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies.
Ricketts, Norma B. 1996. The Mormon Battalion: U. S. Army of the West, 1846-1848. Logan: Utah State University.
Riess, Jana, and Christopher K. Bigelow. 2005. Mormonism for Dummies. Indianapolis: Wiley Publishing Co.
Rust, Val D. 2004. Radical Origins: Early Mormon Converts and their Colonial Ancestors. University of Illinois Press.
Schow, Ron, H. Wayne Schow, and Marybeth Raynes, eds. 1991. Peculiar People: Mormons and Same-Sex Orientation. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
Sells, Jeffery E. 2005. God and Country: Politics in Utah. Salt Lake City: Signature Books
Sessions, Gene A. and Craig J. Oberg, eds. 1993. The Search for Harmony: Essays on Mormonism and Science. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
Shepherd, Gordon and Gary Shepherd. 1984. A Kingdom Transformed: Themes in the Development of Mormonism. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press.
Shepherd, Gary and Gordon Shepherd. 1998. Mormon Passage: A Missionary Chronicle. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
Shields, Steven L. 1990 [1975]. Divergent Paths of the Restoration: A History of the Latter Day Saint Movement. 4th edition, revised and enlarged. Los Angeles, CA: Restoration Research.
______. 1986. Latter Day Saint Beliefs: A Comparison between the RLDS Church and the LDS Church. Independence, MO: Herald Publishing House.
Shipps, Jan. 1985. Mormonism: The Story of a New Religious Tradition. University of Illinois Press.
______. 2000. Sojourner in the Promised Land: Forty Years among the Mormons. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
Sillito, John, and Susan Staker, eds. 2002. Mormon Mavericks: Essays on Dissenters. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
Sillitoe, Linda. 1996. Friendly Fire: The ACLU in Utah. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
______, and Allen D. Roberts. 1988. Salamander: The Story of the Mormon Forgery Murders. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
Smith, George D., ed. 1994. Religion, Feminism, and Freedom of Conscience: A Mormon/Humanist Dialogue. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
Smith, Joseph. 2004 [1830]. The Book of Mormon. New York: Doubleday.
Sonne, C. B., 1983. Saints on the Seas: A Maritime History of the Mormon Migration, 1830-1890. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press.
Sorensen, John L. 1985. An Ancient American Setting for the Book of Mormon. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co.
______. 1997. Mormon Culture: Four Decades of Essays on Mormon Society and Personality. Salt Lake City: New Sage Books.
Southerton, Simon G. 2004. Losing a Lost Tribe: Native Americans, DNA, and the Mormon Church. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
Speek, Vickie C. 2006. God Has Made Us a Kingdom: James Strang and the Midwest Mormons. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
Stark, Rodney. 2005. The Rise of Mormonism (essays edited by Reid L. Neilson). New York: Columbia University Press.
______, and Roger Finke. 2000. Acts of Faith: Explaining the Human Side of Religion. Berkeley: University of California Press. (Frequent Mormon examples)
Stegner, Wallace. 1992 [1964]. The Gathering of Zion: The Story of the Mormon Trail. University of Nebraska Press.
Stephens, Trent D., D. Jeffrey Meldrum, and Forrest B. Peterson. 2001. Evolution and Mormonism: A Quest for Understanding. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
Taber, Susan B. 1993. Mormon Lives: A Year in the Elkton Ward. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
Thomas, Darwin L., ed. 1988. The Religion and Family Connection: Social Science Perspectives. Provo, UT: Religious Studies Center, BYU.
Topping, Gary. 2003. Utah Historians and the Reconstruction of Western History. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press.
Tullis, F. Lamond. 1978, ed. Mormonism: A Faith for All Cultures. Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press.
______. 1987. Mormons in Mexico: The Dynamics of Faith and Culture. Logan, UT: Utah State University Press.
Turley, Richard E., Jr. 1992. Victims: The LDS Church and the Mark Hofmann Case. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
Udall, Stewart L. 2002. The Forgotten Founders: Rethinking the History of the West. Washington, D.C.: Island Press/Shearwater Books.
Underwood, Grant. 1993. The Millenarian World of Early Mormonism. University of Illinois Press.
______. ed. 2000. Voyages of Faith: Explorations in Mormon Pacific History. Provo, UT: Smith Institute for Latter-day Saint History, Brigham Young University.
Van Wagenen, Michael S. 2002. The Texas Republic and the Mormon Kingdom of God. Texas A & M University Press.
Van Wagoner, Richard S. 1986. Mormon Polygamy: A History. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
Vogel, Dan, and Brent Metcalf. 2002. American Apocrypha: Essays on the Book of Mormon. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
Vogt, Evon Z. and Ethel M. Albert. 1966. People of Rimrock: A Study of Values in Five Cultures. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
Walker, Ronald W. 1998. Wayward Saints: The Godbeites and Brigham Young. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
______., David J. Whittaker, and James B. Allen. 2001. Mormon History (including an essay on social science literature). Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
Warenski, Marilyn. 1978. Patriarchs and Politics: The Plight of Mormon Women. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Waterman, Bryan, and Brian Kagel. 1998. The Lord’s University: Freedom and Authority at BYU. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
Welch, John W., ed. 2005. The Worlds of Joseph Smith: A Bicentennial Conference at the Library of Congress. Provo, UT : Brigham Young University Studies Press.
Whittaker, David J., ed. 1995. Mormon Americana: A Guide to Sources and Collections in the United States. Provo, UT: BYU Studies Press.
White, O. Kendall. 1987. Mormon Neo-Orthodoxy: A Crisis Theology. Salt Lake City: Signature Books.
Williams, Drew. 2003. The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Understanding Mormonism. New York: Alpha Books.
Winn, Kenneth H. 1989. Exiles in a Land of Liberty: Mormons in America, 1830-1846. University of North Carolina Press.
Woods, Fred E. Fire on Ice: The Story of Icelandic Latter-day Saints at Home and Abroad. 2005. Provo, UT: Religious Studies Center, Brigham Young University
Wooton, Richard T. 1992. Saints and Scientists. Mesa, AZ: EduTech Corp.
Wright, J. B. 1993. Rocky Mountain Divide: Selling and Saving the West. Austin: University of Texas Press. (See esp. comparisons between Utah and Colorado).
Yorgason, Ethan R. 2003. Transformation of the Mormon Culture Region. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
Young, Kimball. 1970 [1954]. Isn’t One Wife Enough? Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.

Date: April 13, 2015 08:40PM

Oh my goodness, thank you for all your input. I will have to take some time and sift through it all!
Thanks again!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 12, 2015 12:06AM

Given the topic (religion in the American culture,) I would take a different tack. I would talk about Mormonism's place in the various Restorationist movements of the time. I would discuss the similarities of the BoM to other literature of the era. You could talk about how Mormonism had a highly idealistic vision of America that was typical of the time (you could even bring the idealized American landscape art of the era into the discussion.)

It sounds like your professor is emphasizing that s/he wants you to take a detached, scholarly tone. It is certainly possible to point out oddities and discrepancies while maintaining such a tone.

Other people will be able to help you with resources, but here a couple:

http://www.amazon.com/Early-Mormonism-Magic-World-View/dp/1560850892

http://www.amazon.com/No-Man-Knows-My-History/dp/0679730540/ref=pd_sim_b_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0PMAY4VQ8CNRS3QF1K94

Also Richard Packham's site will give you lots of trails to pursue:

http://packham.n4m.org/tract.htm#REV

...as will Mormon Think:

http://mormonthink.com/

4,000 words will be about a 16-page paper, so you will want to plan for a lengthy discussion with lots of resources.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2015 12:09AM by summer.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: April 12, 2015 12:59AM

I was thinking along this line of thinking and would add that Mormonism has many splinters, the major issue being the living prophet and succession.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 12, 2015 12:11AM

Wow! Be careful what you ask for, you might get it! Isn't RFM great? So many questions, so many answers, and from people who know what they're talking about!

Date: April 13, 2015 08:45PM

madalice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow! Be careful what you ask for, you might get
> it! Isn't RFM great? So many questions, so many
> answers, and from people who know what they're
> talking about!

Ask and you shall receive. LOL!

Posted by: justarelative ( )
Date: April 12, 2015 12:33AM

purpleorchid92,

One of the first things I realized as I started researching Mormonism as an outsider was that just to display the basics I was going to need a wall chart. Anything resembling a comprehensive view is going to be very complex and unwieldy.

Although you've already stated your plan to expose Mormonism as false, I suggest you write about just one aspect of the religion. Maybe "Mormonism Introduces Polygamy to America". There is way more than enough material in that topic alone to fill 4,000 words. And it would cast Mormonism in a very poor light.

Start with the polygamy essays from LDS.ORG and "In Sacred Loneliness" to establish Mormon founder Joseph Smith took multiple wives. Move on to BY's exceedingly large family. Tie it all back to D&C 132 to show that it is doctrine. Maybe cross-reference the Jacob passage to show the contradiction among the scriptures if you want to throw a jab.

Be sure to include all the denials: by JS in May 1844 ("accused of having seven wives when I can find but one") and by Mormons generally during the 1850s from Utah.

Then the declaration that supposedly ended the practice of polygamy in 1890 by pushing it from this life to the next.

Do a section on the breakaway fundamentalist groups which, from an outsider's perspective, is part of greater Mormonism.

Doris Hanson's work could be a great resource.

That's more than enough material right there.

Your main constraint is not tipping your hand on what you personally believe or disbelieve. If you try to disprove Mormonism you will likely write pejoratively and you will be too obvious.

Best of success with this one,

JAR

Date: April 13, 2015 08:48PM

justarelative Wrote:
> purpleorchid92,
>
> One of the first things I realized as I started
> researching Mormonism as an outsider was that just
> to display the basics I was going to need a wall
> chart. Anything resembling a comprehensive view
> is going to be very complex and unwieldy.
>
> Although you've already stated your plan to expose
> Mormonism as false, I suggest you write about just
> one aspect of the religion. Maybe "Mormonism
> Introduces Polygamy to America". There is way
> more than enough material in that topic alone to
> fill 4,000 words. And it would cast Mormonism in
> a very poor light.
>
> Start with the polygamy essays from LDS.ORG and
> "In Sacred Loneliness" to establish Mormon founder
> Joseph Smith took multiple wives. Move on to BY's
> exceedingly large family. Tie it all back to D&C
> 132 to show that it is doctrine. Maybe
> cross-reference the Jacob passage to show the
> contradiction among the scriptures if you want to
> throw a jab.
>
> Be sure to include all the denials: by JS in May
> 1844 ("accused of having seven wives when I can
> find but one") and by Mormons generally during the
> 1850s from Utah.
>
> Then the declaration that supposedly ended the
> practice of polygamy in 1890 by pushing it from
> this life to the next.
>
> Do a section on the breakaway fundamentalist
> groups which, from an outsider's perspective, is
> part of greater Mormonism.
>
> Doris Hanson's work could be a great resource.
>
> That's more than enough material right there.
>
> Your main constraint is not tipping your hand on
> what you personally believe or disbelieve. If you
> try to disprove Mormonism you will likely write
> pejoratively and you will be too obvious.
>
> Best of success with this one,
>
> JAR

Wow thank you for your ideas! There is so much information to sift through, I do think that it is going to be a challenge to not show my poker face in this paper! But I think I can do it.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 12, 2015 01:14AM

Many congratulations and exciting to be in school!!

Will it be too hard to not show your feelings with what you are thinking of researching?

A suggestion: an aspect of religion in America that I have hope to research and learn more about is Revivalism in America. You could narrow it down to say, the state of New York and for a period of time like the early 1800's.

Questions that might be addressed:

How many on average attended a typical revival meeting? Are there numbers which give the attendence in male, female, ages?

What exactly went on in a typical tent meeting?

How much drinking and drugging was on the scene?

How long did the revival stay in an area? Did they hold more than one meeting?

Date: April 16, 2015 01:11AM

presleynfactsrock Wrote:
> Many congratulations and exciting to be in
> school!!
>
> Will it be too hard to not show your feelings with
> what you are thinking of researching?
>
> A suggestion: an aspect of religion in America
> that I have hope to research and learn more about
> is Revivalism in America. You could narrow it
> down to say, the state of New York and for a
> period of time like the early 1800's.
>
> Questions that might be addressed:
>
> How many on average attended a typical revival
> meeting? Are there numbers which give the
> attendence in male, female, ages?
>
> What exactly went on in a typical tent meeting?
>
> How much drinking and drugging was on the scene?
>
> How long did the revival stay in an area? Did
> they hold more than one meeting?

Hi, I think you had some great points that I plan on using in my paper. I'm going to have to research this one. Thanks again!

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: April 12, 2015 01:22AM

Sorry, I doubt I can help you more than the other posters have already done! ;)

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: April 12, 2015 09:50AM

Wow! I'm not writing a paper, but I appreciate the lists just for my personal study!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 12, 2015 10:22AM

Keep yourself neutral, objective, and independent in your discourse. Don't write in the first person, but like a journalist would.

You can still be passionate about your subject without going into descriptive narrative how the subject applies to you. Write as a third party preparing your report.

One of my children wrote an essay paper on the Mountain Meadows Massacre, while still in high school - and during a time we were attending church. Was able to keep it neutral, and all about what transpired that caused one of the most egregious acts of terrorism on US soil before 9/11 (Mountain Meadows massacre also occurred on 9/11 in 1857.)

It was prepared very well, and nowhere in the paper was any reference to student's personal beliefs of whether Mormonism is a farce.

You should be able to do just fine!

Date: April 16, 2015 01:14AM

amyjo Wrote:
> Keep yourself neutral, objective, and independent
> in your discourse. Don't write in the first
> person, but like a journalist would.
>
> You can still be passionate about your subject
> without going into descriptive narrative how the
> subject applies to you. Write as a third party
> preparing your report.
>
> One of my children wrote an essay paper on the
> Mountain Meadows Massacre, while still in high
> school - and during a time we were attending
> church. Was able to keep it neutral, and all about
> what transpired that caused one of the most
> egregious acts of terrorism on US soil before 9/11
> (Mountain Meadows massacre also occurred on 9/11
> in 1857.)
>
> It was prepared very well, and nowhere in the
> paper was any reference to student's personal
> beliefs of whether Mormonism is a farce.
>
> You should be able to do just fine!

Thanks for your pointers and insight. I'm not familiar with the Mountain Meadows Masacre. I will have to look into that one as well.

Posted by: stokars ( )
Date: April 12, 2015 04:32PM

Not the you need any more reference material-- go to thedigitalvoice.com and find Hyde's and Kennedy's books there. I found them very enlightening, put some texture into my polygamist ancestor in Utah, along with a non-member's view (Kennedy) about the rise of Mormonism.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 12, 2015 10:54PM

There are sure plenty of ways to take on the subject! Here's my suggestion:

Compare LDS to other cultic religious sytems, like Christian Science, Scientology (they're different), Jehovah's Witnesses, David Koresh, and others. Note the similarities: a charismatic founder (usually poorly educated) who ingeniously "reads" people and develops a zealous following; special "scripture" and revelation that only they have; the claim to have the only "authentic" truth or Christianity; fear of outsiders; mind control; special language and words/word definitions; an inordinate interest in end-time prophesy; shunning of apostates; intense loyalty among followers; extreme views & practices regarding sex and marriage (celibacy or promiscuity).

And so on. LDS is not unique, but shares many problematic qualities with other closely-held belief systems. As you discuss LDS, you can quite easily keep your own religious positions separated out. You could treat this pretty well i 4,000 words.

Date: April 16, 2015 01:16AM

caffiend Wrote:
> There are sure plenty of ways to take on the
> subject! Here's my suggestion:
>
> Compare LDS to other cultic religious sytems, like
> Christian Science, Scientology (they're
> different), Jehovah's Witnesses, David Koresh, and
> others. Note the similarities: a charismatic
> founder (usually poorly educated) who ingeniously
> "reads" people and develops a zealous following;
> special "scripture" and revelation that only they
> have; the claim to have the only "authentic" truth
> or Christianity; fear of outsiders; mind control;
> special language and words/word definitions; an
> inordinate interest in end-time prophesy; shunning
> of apostates; intense loyalty among followers;
> extreme views & practices regarding sex and
> marriage (celibacy or promiscuity).
>
> And so on. LDS is not unique, but shares many
> problematic qualities with other closely-held
> belief systems. As you discuss LDS, you can quite
> easily keep your own religious positions separated
> out. You could treat this pretty well i 4,000
> words.

I've pretty much decided to write my paper on proving how the church is a cult. You gave me some good ideas and avenues to explore. Thanks.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: April 12, 2015 11:48PM

There is a ton of info showing how false the CULT is. But, this is still a huge project since you can't reveal your own personal faith or lack thereof in the religion you report on.

I think lots of people on the board would be of more help than I am but I would recommend a book as a good starting point. It is Recovering Agency by Lindsey Luna
http://www.amazon.com/Recovering-Agency-Lifting-Mormon-Control/dp/1489595937

It is well researched and has footnotes etc., is well organized and full of info.

I hope when you finish your paper, you offer it to us board people for sale cheap (please). I'd love to read it. You can still remain anonymous, but I'd sure like to see what you find out and present it.

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: April 13, 2015 12:28AM

Professor type here. Great advice above. I'd pick a single topic and run it to ground. Go for the one that looks like it has the most objective and primary evidence available (e.g., like things you can see as scanned images on the JS papers website).

I personally like the polygamy topic as there is a lot of low hanging evidence that can be used.

Scripture wise there are the scans of the Book of Commandments and first couple of printings of the D&C (the various versions of section the original section 101 along with the newspaper articles of revolting by JS are quite damning). This stuff can all be found in the JS papers project website. Likewise the Jacob scripture noted above. Note that chapter numbers and order in which things appear across these early printings don't line up exactly. Then there is the law of the land re polygamy, the polyandry, age of wives, census data on average ages for frontier marriages, age of onset of mensus (suggests,some wives were likely pre-pubescent, timing of marrying another's wife and the sub sensing sending of them on a mission, etc. etc.

Maybe stick with what occurred during JS life. Nice punchline is the destruction by JS of the printing press that got him thrown in jail and ultimately ended in his death.

You'll find a lot of info on websites above. Just state the facts and let them tell the story. Do not put any valutive language of your own in there.

Good luck.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 13, 2015 09:12PM

I love the idea of focusing in on polygamy. Here is one of my favorite resources (CDC-endorsed data) for the average age of first marriage from 1850-1880:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3002115/table/T1/

For the U.S. as a whole, the average age of first marriage for women in 1850 was 23.1 . Out on the frontier, the average age dipped just a bit lower, averaging about 20-22 depending on the location and year though the 1800's.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: April 13, 2015 08:56PM

You could relate Mormonism to Methodism, which was Joseph Smith's preferred church for a while. And to the Church of Christ "restoration" movement, in which Sidney Rigdon had been a minister.

I finally started reading "View of the Hebrews" yesterday. You could relate it to American attitudes about "Indians," or to Calvinist substitution theology that says Hebrew descent is no longer relevant.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: April 13, 2015 09:01PM

I'm sorry, I found that "replacement theology" is the Calvinist term for assigning God's promises to the church instead of Israel.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.