Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: saanhetna ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 02:56AM

Tonight I posted the link to the aversion therapy videos with a few kind words to my dear gay mormon friends, of which I only know one. He is a precious, gay, young man, married to a lesbian with whom he had at one time shared his worplace - one of those "save the gays" centers. Well guess what: at 12:19 pm Utah time he accepted my friend request. There is no way he didn't take a peek at my post - it was huge. My family was the first to publicly leave our ward and there was a good deal of talk about it. I just recently heard the story of his going to Utah for some sort of therapy, which would have been several years ago. In retrospect I can now see that he suffered greatly. Precious boy, it would be so wonderful if I could somehow help him. Good thoughts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: saanhetna ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 09:59AM

So Eric or Teveih (sp)
Why don't you mark my posts as new like everyone elses. I know you don't post some of mine and often shut them down, but why the no red new?

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 10:12AM

The red "new" is an automatic feature if you're a registered member of the board to let you know if something hasn't been read by you. It's not something done by board administration.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 10:22AM

saanhetna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So Eric or Teveih (sp)
> Why don't you mark my posts as new like everyone
> elses. I know you don't post some of mine and
> often shut them down, but why the no red new?

If you are not logged in, the red "new" will not show.

And I don't know why you think you are being targeted in some way, but you most definitely are NOT.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 11:00AM

I wonder how many lesbians marry gay men? Not that there's a study I'm aware of. This seems highly unusual, since they're both out of the closet and open about their sexuality.

Maybe it has something to do with his [or hers] upbringing?

I feel sorry for him he was ever subjected to any ridicule by Mormon Inc. or elsewhere.

Today their lifestyle is much more acceptable in mainstream society. I've had to undo some of my taboos I had growing up in the church.

Thanks for sharing your newfound friendship of sorts. :)

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 11:18AM

I know that some religions (i.e. Pentecostals) will have gay men marry gay women. I think this was even encouraged or at least given blessing in the Corporation and with Affirmation.

Also there were some gay men who would marry lesbians for legal reasons (before gay marriage). Usually this was for children custody. If a gay man married a lesbian the only way that her girlfriend to have parental rights would be if the gay man was to impregnate the girlfriend and so therefore all three would have legal rights.

The military--before the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell". Sometimes one or both would need a "beard"; so Gay women would marry gay men; the payoff was the military benefits.

Many of these social beards, legal trickery, benefit wagering luckily is being rectified by Same Sex Marriage. Some people don't realize how many ills they were actually causing to insurance rates, benefits, bullying by not allowing legal marriage for same sex couples. Now LGBT people will have to enjoy and endure all of the social and legal rights and woes of marriage.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 11:29AM

This isn't as true today as it used to be, but throughout Hollywood history (starting in the late 1800s...and prevalent for centuries before in the creative sectors), an ASTOUNDING number of "Hollywood"/show business marriages were (so-called) "lavender": opposite gendered gay people marrying each other to give the public appearance of being heterosexual.

Not just the Rock Hudson/his secretary kind of "arranged"/"paid for" marriages...

...but also celebrities extremely well known not only for their individual career accomplishments, but also for their much admired "ideal" marriages (the Oliviers, etc.).

Add in bisexual/predominately homosexual (rather than more-or-less "strictly" homosexual) partners, and you would probably be including maybe 75% of all "Hollywood" marriages (at least until VERY recent decades).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2015 11:54AM by tevai.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.