Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 12:11PM

I am so frustrated. I am trying to eat healthier. I have been enjoying fruit smoothies but can't find a blender that will easily blend frozen fruit.

I don't have space for a big blender on my counter, so I need something compact but powerful. Anyone have success stories with their blenders?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 12:34PM

I like the Magic Bullet. https://www.buythebullet.com/

It's small and easy to use.

I use it to make fruit smoothies.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 12:44PM

If you plan on smoothies as a lifestyle, and will make them for years, buy a Blendtec. Very pricey, about $270.00, but blows anything else away. Kind of like comparing an Indy Car to a Ford Pinto. Easily blends frozen stuff. Would probably blend concrete.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 12:45PM

Another vote for the magic bullet. They have a variety of sizes now, I have a smaller one we've had for 3+ years, and it easily chews up frozen fruit to make terrific fruit smoothies :)

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 01:08PM

Nutri Bullet...about $80 at Costco, comes with several sizes of containers, lids, blades, etc.

I use mine for fruit/ veggie shakes in the morning. Lots of power, easy to use and clean. I've used seveal blenders and juicers before, but this one is the best yet.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 09:54AM

I agree, this is the best one for on the go, easy to clean up, and blends frozen fruit and vegetables quickly in an easy-to-drink liquid.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 10:37AM

I really like mine. It does good for smoothies that I make with muscle milk and a scoop of frozen berries. I buy the big bag of organic raspberries-blueberries-blackberries combo at Costco.

I do sometimes get tempted to spend the money and splurge on a vita mix. I borrow my friends' when I throw a party where I want to make frozen margaritas. That thing would pulverize a person.

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 08:08PM

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 08:15PM

If size is a concern, I'd stick with the Magic Bullet.

I've been using my VitaMix every day since 1995. It's still amazing. But it's quite large.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 08:37PM

I have a Blendtec. It isn't small and it cost a LOT. I could make a smoothie out of a Mack truck with it.

This is probably overkill for what you want. I never waste any fruits or vegetables or worry if it can do the job. I use it far more than I thought I would.

My favorite treat: banana, ice cubes, and chocolate Silk. Sometimes I add some frozen cherries or strawberries.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 08:44PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My favorite treat: banana, ice cubes, and
> chocolate Silk. Sometimes I add some frozen
> cherries or strawberries.

The *only* useful thing I got from my teenage-years health-nut bishop: tiger shakes.
Bananas, orange juice, ice cubes, vanilla ice cream.
Yum :))

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 11:32PM

I nearly make this recipe now, only substitute vanilla greek yogurt for the ice cream, and add matcha green tea powder for an energy boost (filled with oodles of anti-oxidants.)

It's really healthy.

Posted by: battlebruise ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 11:42PM

Nutri Bullet- it works really well. I saw it a Cosco for $69.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 08:49PM

I like the Ninja. At Costco, when it's on special, you can get the base motor, the large blender, the mixing bowl (with [2] blending and blades), and TWO single serve blending tumblers for around $100-125. Pricey, but worth it. It will turn ball bearings into a drinkable slush.

It's very well engineered. The covers lock on very tightly, and if they are not it will not run, preventing leaks or overflows. The blending bowl is excellent for bread dough, so you can make healthier multi-grain loaves yourself.

My habit is to put in so much fruit and yogurt it comes out like a pudding. So I just consume some of it with a spoon, then add in more juice, soy milk, or dairy milk, and re-blend.

http://www.costco.com/Ninja%C2%AE-Ultra-Kitchen-System%E2%84%A2-.product.100056570.html

The group illustrated in the above link would be $175 with $30 off.

But bear in mind, gemini, that all that fruit constitutes more sugar than you may realize you are consuming.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 10:36PM

We used our new Magic Bullet for about ten days and then went back to potato chips and diet cokes. Now it just takes up a full shelf in the kitchen cabinets.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 11:05PM

I like my Cuisinart old fashioned blender for fruit smoothies.

I don't use ice or frozen fruit, but if I did it still works well. Prefer my smoothies with fresh fruit (not vegies. If I want vegie juice, I drink V8.;)

The Cuisinart I didn't pay more than $40 when purchased. It's a few years old, and still works as good as new. It's about as compact as a good blender can get.

It isn't as highly engineered as some of the more expensive models, but it fits my needs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2015 11:10PM by amyjo.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 12:33AM

wow, everyone...thanks for all the good ideas and suggestions.

I love this board....:)

Posted by: Hikergrl ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 12:41AM

All the Starbucks in my area use blendtecs. I hear they will last 15 years.

Posted by: theviking ( )
Date: April 26, 2015 10:52PM

Here's my $0.02:

If you're serious about smoothies, get a Blendtec or VitaMix. My work has a VitaMix that I used daily for 6 months. I then stayed at my parents' house for Christmas break and used their Blendtec. After about 3 days of using it, I fell in love. I got one when I went back to my place and use it daily. Whenever I use the VitaMix at work now, I'm always critical of it. I just hate having to use a plunger to make smoothies. I don't want to have to beat the crap out of my food when making smoothies. The Blendtec is automated and less manual, which I love. The blendtec isn't nearly as cumbersome as the VitaMix either.

I could go on and on about why I prefer Blendtec over VitaMix, but in reality it's like comparing a Dodge Diesel to a Ford Power Stroke - they're both the biggest, best trucks on the market but it's also personal preference. I can expound more if you want me to, though. ;)

My roommate has a bullet and likes it, but it can't make green smoothies like the big boys can. It's like comparing the power of a smart car to a Dodge Diesel. In her defense, she said that she liked to chew her smoothies. (she probably said that because she saw how her bullet couldn't process kale that well and my Blendtec blended it like kool-aid)

Personally though, if you think this is a fad or you're just starting, get a bullet off craigslist or something on the cheap. If you are really committed to getting a blender, get a Blendtec or VitaMix. The Blendtec is a lot more space friendly than a VitaMix and you can get one cheaper too. You might be able to find one used as well.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 26, 2015 11:03PM

I haven't tried a Blendtec, so can't really comment on it, but as for the Vitamix that I've used since 1995, I've never once used the plunger. I've never needed it.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 12:31AM

We just got the nutribullet at Costo. On sale for about $63 right now.

Works SO much better than our Oster blender. No stirring constantly. Mixes smoother, faster, and fairly quietly. It comes with 4 jars of different sizes, which means that multiple people can make their smoothies in a day, and still have a clean jar always available. There are about 3 lids included, plus one handle attachment. And a recipe book. Two blade sets. One of them is for smoothies, and the other is more like a food processor (grind nuts to powder, and I'm wondering about grinding coffee).

We've only used it once, but much easier to handle than the big blender.

Sure, I'd like a Blendtec, but this is so much cheaper.

Posted by: Beachgal ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 01:33AM

We love making smoothies with our Nutribullet! We put in spinach and Kale, frozen bananas, blueberries, and strawberries, along with some plain regular or greek yogur, and it is delicious! The spinach and kale are completely pulverized. You really don't taste, feel, or even see them. Sometimes we put in almonds, too.

Posted by: jdawg333 ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 10:53AM

I LOVE my vitamix. Works great for frozen fruit. Jugo Juice, booster juice, and orange Julius all use a vitamix. My parents tried a magic bullet after giving me their vitamix. It wasn't long before they bought themselves a new one.

I have never even heard of a blendtec, so I can't comment on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2015 10:54AM by jdawg333.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.