Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 26, 2015 05:45PM

For the Temple, what do they really mean!?? How many signed up to be there??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: April 26, 2015 06:07PM

...it means they had enough men attending to clean the bath/locker/restroom facilities, and then do a complimentary security check; to make sure no homeless wine-o's snuck in during the snooze-fest that is the Temple ceremony..........

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: April 26, 2015 06:18PM

It might mean that they were able to make a prayer circle. I've been to I-don't-know-how-many sessions where there were not enough for a prayer circle. I found that they are willing to compromise, like using all men, etc.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 08:24AM

I've never heard of prayer circles. Guess I'll have to look that one up.

Is it anything like CROP circles? ;-)

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: April 26, 2015 07:08PM

I was at the temple once in Hawaii, during the day, when there were only a couple of men there. One was my husband and one was the temple worker, plus the officiator. There were a half dozen women, including a worker. When they did the prayer circle the officiator obviously couldn't be in the circle. So they just had all the women come up and had some of the women take the place of men in the circle. Everyone in the session was in the circle, but some of the women were stand-ins for the missing men.

Posted by: L Tom Petty ( )
Date: April 26, 2015 08:28PM

Damn I miss those old prayer circles.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 26, 2015 08:32PM

sounds like a real heartbreaker.

Posted by: superman4691 ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 12:08AM

Those prayer circles always creeped me out. Volunteered for one to see what all the hub-bub was about, you know, the true order of prayer and everything, but it was just so wrong. It felt like some weird college hazing ritual.

I honestly don't know what keeps people going back. The whole temple endowment session, handshakes, signs, tokens, Ugh!!!

The only thing I can think why the HP's keep going is because they get to see Eve's bare naked shoulders during the film portion.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 08:10AM

The prayer circles are supposed to be very spiritual, in fact. Can you submit prayer roll names on-line? If so, I'd like to have them supplicate on behalf of my ailing friend, Peter Nibbler.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 08:15AM

It was much creepier pre-1990 with the penalties, the protestant minister (showing us we can sell our priesthood?) the 5 points of fellowship.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 10:18AM

I HATED the prayer circle...standing there in front of everyone and having to veil my face.This is because you know, a lowly woman, can't have god see me. One time it was so hot I nearly fainted in that circle.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.