Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lori C ( )
Date: April 29, 2015 08:38PM

"Mormon founder Joseph Smith’s four versions of First Vision get another retelling — in 10 languages".

www.sltrib.com

Wow....people have been ex'd for the "four" version info being talked about...now it's headline news.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: April 29, 2015 08:51PM

And still, my family will never take this seriously. For some, nothing will ever dissuade them from embracing a liar.

The church could come straight out and say that they are a fraud, and many will find a way of making it okay. Look at all the stuff GBH said on national TV and the Mormon dismissed it. This cult is going to be around for a while longer.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 29, 2015 09:03PM

That was my reaction, WL. For years they denied the multiple versions until confronted with direct evidence. Then the Ensign published an article of how the multiple versions could be compared to the synoptic Gospels. Nice save, Morg!

One would have to be a fucking idiot to accept all the apologetics. Most TBMs I know would still believe even if Monson said TSCC was a fraud. They would probably just wonder why he lost his testimony. The Boner.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: April 29, 2015 09:09PM

The bigger question is; Why is the church dumping all this info?
Polygamy essays, JS essays, Black/priesthood essays, and now 1st vision.
I believe this is in direct response to the Tom Phillips UK fraud lawsuit.
Now, the church can say "Hey- we're not hiding damaging info-it's on our website"
The church never does anything without a motive. I think it's to keep them out of court.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: April 29, 2015 09:15PM

I agree that it's for a reason. TSCC is on top of everything, trying to keep the upper hand.

I also imagine that they know they can't hold back the flood of information coming from online. So, they have to get it out there so they can say that they aren't hiding anything.

They know the true TBMs will stay with their sinking ship, and the next generation will have grown up knowing some of the information and not give a shit. They'll buy into the church's official account.

But our generation knows that they are lying. They just consider us collateral damage.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 29, 2015 09:12PM

The DN published it a few days ago. I wonder if it'll ever be mentioned in SM,Sunday School, Priesthood/RS one day...

All 4 of Joseph Smith's firsthand accounts of the First Vision released in 10 languages

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865627253/Joseph-Smith-Papers-releases-First-Vision-accounts-in-10-languages.html

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 10:18AM

...throw in another 4 for a total of eight LDS-acknowledged versions. Where do we begin?..............I like them all!

https://archive.org/stream/improvementera7304unse#page/n5/mode/2up

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: April 29, 2015 09:18PM

A great comment among many others...

"If I tell four versions of something in court, I get charged with perjury. If JS tells four versions of something, he gets his own religion."

###

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 12:15PM

Love it !

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 12:47AM

Well, actually they are damned if they do, and damned if they don't in all this. If they continue to repeat their lies, the internet can quickly prove them wrong. If they admit the truth, as they are now being forced to do, they are definitely getting a big blowback from the faithful.

Their biggest problem is that they really can't blame it all on Brigham, as they have attempted to do regarding the "policy" against blacks, since their recent "profit" Joseph Fielding Smith has continued to repeat their lies up to the very end of his long and useless life. He may have protected the reputation of his great uncle Joseph and daddy, for way too many years, but the enormity of his lies and distortions of truth are becoming more obvious by the day. What a sorry excuse of a human being Joseph Fielding Smith, "the protector of the lies" really was.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 10:39AM

Indoctrination + confirmation bias = faithful will just take it as more "proof" the church is twoo and the work is rolling forth in the last days.
They have no critical thinking skills and they never bother with actual content.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 11:39AM

Four lies and ten ways to tell them. Mormons should be proud.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 12:25PM

"Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish."

What, no Klingon?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.