Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 01:11PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 01:29PM

I can identify Mormons in a crowd too. They are the ones ripping off everybody else.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 01:51PM

Tom Cruise has it too!
Oh wait, he isn't mormon.
Maybe they should call it a cult glow.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 05:53PM

Toxic thoughts

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 06:20PM

4 fingers of Crown Royal Black or The Balvenie Double Wood single malt and I glow real good!

Ron Burr

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 09:08PM

In college we learned about junk-science and how to identify it. Right now, we know nothing about this study other than what LDS Living magazine has told us, which isn't much. I question the source. This is just more narcissism from a very large propaganda media machine, nothing more.

It's probably possible to filter out a lot of non-members by eliminating those who are smoking, drinking, men with long hair, transgendered people, etc... There's nothing special about that. Then, if you are a member and notice someone else who fits the mold and is as narcissistic as you are, there's a fair chance the person might be a mormon. It's only a glow if you are overly obsessed with that image. Narcissus (the guy that narcississm is named after), drowned when he saw his own reflection in the water. He reached out to embrace this wonderful image, fell in and drowned.

I recently was at a public event where there were a dozen mormon missionaries who showed up. They were familiar (I went on a mission myself before resigning). But they creaped me out. Everything is about perspective.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 10:05AM

azsteve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In college we learned about junk-science and how
> to identify it. Right now, we know nothing about
> this study other than what LDS Living magazine has
> told us, which isn't much.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21151864

Source.

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 10:01AM

I will catch a BYU football or basketball game on tv now and again. The student section couldn't be more pasty white! It's really creepy when they are all wearing the same t-shirt. It's like they haven't seen the sun in years. It's not a glow. It's a pompous opinion of themselves that they are better than you.

Posted by: funeral taters ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 10:27AM

I can always tell mormons when I see them as well. They come off as nerdy. Does anyone else view tbms as nerdy? I'm not talking about run of the mill garden variety tbms but the Uber tbm types that probably pray in restaurants before eating.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 10:47AM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 11:05AM

Like on a donut.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 11:32AM

Oh ja, I'd forgotten all about that trope. Even as tbm I did not know how they could say that with a straight face, much less with the knowing earnestness usually involved.

Posted by: Cahomegrown ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 01:06PM

Hahahaha
Mormons can't get their brain around the fact that our family is clean,glowing, and happy...
And NOT members

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 01:56PM

One Sunday I turned up at church with that certain "Mormon Glow." But I had just eaten a taco and it turned out to be grease.

I was never so disappointed.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 02:27PM

As if walking around with an insane fake grin on your face is special. I just think it's creepy.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 02:34PM

Our son just started a new job and after the first day he came home and said that he was certain that one of his supervisors is Mormon. We asked him why he thought so. He said he had the same mannerisms and "smarmy" look on his face as his TBM uncle (my brother).

Sure enough, he learned the next day that the guy is from Logan, Utah, and has a very, very old Mormon name.

Yeah, "glow" my a**!

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 03:05PM

I like the term "glaze", too. My rabid fanatic cousins and their spouses have that appearance, which I see at the reunions.

I don't understand how a "study" could possibly separate skin tone from other factors, such as facial expression, demeanor, and voice.

That "smarmy" acial expression, in particular, is what separates out Mormons, IMO. The eyes are locked into a stare, that doesn't really focus on you. They look at your face, but there's no real eye contact. Maybe the narcissists are looking at their own reflection in your eyes or in your glasses. It is a look that indicates that they are talking AT you and not TO you, and that they are not going to listen to what you say. If they smile, the corners of the mouth still turn downward, and their eyes don't smile. If they do say anything at all, which they usually don't, the voice is a dead giveaway. The men use a monotone, with a drop at the end of each sentence, for example "Thus saith the loRRRDD." The women use the child-like whisper that my grandma used to call the "temple voice" and they use strange words, such as, "First we work, and then we play."

None of them ever have said my name, that I remember, since childhood. Another poster commented on this, and thought perhaps that the Mormons can't remember every name in their ward, so they just use "Brother" and "Sister."

That's just from the head up.

My kids could pick them out on the beach, from yards away. Even without seeing the garments, the clothes are distinctive. Nerdy. Lots of kids in tow, but no interaction with them. Kids unsupervised. PDA's with the couples (especially on the BYU campus), or else the man walks a few paces in front of the woman. The only ones at the beach wearing tight jean shorts, to the knee, will be Mormons. The Mormons will not be in the water.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 03:18PM

Kooky

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2015 03:20PM by moremany.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 03:41PM

Every time I look at this subject line, it makes me think of how ‘that glow’ is sometimes a term for someone who has had a few drinks. (Hey, you look like you have a ‘glow’ going.)

Anyway, story time.

A few years back, my one particular Mormon neighbor used to harass us by parking his car that he wasn’t using that day in our one little spot in front of our house, while leaving his driveway empty, and his two spots in front of his house empty. You know, just to be a dick. He did this quite often, sometimes endlessly for stretches at a time (and very much on purpose.)

Back before I figured out that engaging them just enraged them and caused me even more pain in the long run, I saw him walk out to his car while I was in my driveway one day, and I said to him,

“I see your wife was too drunk again last night to remember where she lived.”

That gave him a sphincter face for sure. But I was duly punished afterwards, so it wasn’t worth it.

That Mormon glow. (Although she obviously doesn’t drink, but I thought it would piss him off.)

Like I say, now I just ignore their antics and pretend I don’t even notice. I figured out if you show irritation at something, then they’ll keep doing it forever. If you pretend you aren’t bothered, then they move on to trying something else. Sometimes the something else is something that doesn’t even bug me at all. So I just let them do their thing. Sometimes it’s like having tickets to a circus even.

That Mormon glow. (Hey buddy, you’re wife’s drunk again!)

Anyway, just thought I’d share. Don’t try this at home.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.