Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 08:54PM

Is it just me or do Mormon women request priesthood blessings FAR more often than men do?

On my mission I felt like I was CONSTANTLY being asked by sister missionaries or women in the ward for priesthood blessings but I can hardly think of any men who asked for one, even though I was around men most of the time.

Did women have far more faith in "the priesthood power" than men? Its so weird. Same with after my mission. When I was in the single's ward I can't think of one instance where a guy asked me for a priesthood blessing but it seemed like the women in the ward were always "in need" of one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 09:02PM

Huh! Your commentary leads me to ask you where you were putting your hands...

Posted by: Reality Check ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 09:03PM

You are not alone in your thinking -- women ask for priesthood blessings far more often than men do.

Maybe it stems from the fact that women do not have the priesthood, so for them, it is something really mysterious and powerful. Who knows?

Men, on the other hand, know how difficult it is to give a priesthood blessing. As a giver of blessings, I never was quite sure what to say -- no inspiration really came.

Posted by: Armand Tamzarian ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 09:08PM

I was once home teacher to a family where the wife required a HT's priesthood blessing about twice per week, sometimes in the wee hours. Irritating.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 09:09PM

Actually, in the early church women gave other women blessings and used oil. When it became "priesthood" only I really don't know.

Also, what is little known is that in Joseph Smith's time members were BAPTIZED FOR HEALTH sometimes several times for the same condition. I'm not sure how a person could be cured by being submerged under the cold Mississippi River where it was done, but I would imagine that if they were tough enough to endure it, they were sure to get better.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 09:13PM

In one small town in Mexico, Cuautla, Morelos, a tradition had arisen that I stumbled into, literally. My first F&TM there, when it was over, the BP came up to my companion and I to tell us that we could use his office for the blessings.

Our natural question was, "what blessings?"

He explained that since the church had been there since the 1920s, there were a lot of people scattered out in the countryside who only came in for F&TM, so they could get blessings, and he would have them line up outside his office and we could take them one at a time.

Those were the only blessings I ever gave on my mission, for three months. Luckily back then we were not into 'reactivation' and never bothered with names and addresses. Our motto was, "You want it? We got it."

As an EQP, yeah, it was women. The only males were little boys with coughs.

Posted by: superman4691 ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 09:17PM

I would concur with this, just from my own years of experience.
My MIL alone, probably skews the majority of the balance to those of the female gender.
I swear that woman asks for a priesthood blessing like she's asking for a drink of water.
For her, I think its a mental weakness issue. Any challenge, any financial decision, any illness, any stressful situation, she's calling her HT's or the bishop for a blessing.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 09:18PM

Women are more likely to believe in the magical powers of the priesthood, since they don't have it themselves. Men, having the priesthood, are far more skeptical of its efficacy.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 09:33PM

Stray Mutt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Women are more likely to believe in the magical
> powers of the priesthood, since they don't have it
> themselves. Men, having the priesthood, are far
> more skeptical of its efficacy.

That's what it seems like to me but i don't really know why. I mean it should feel no different for a woman to receive one as for a man. The only difference is that the man probably realizes that the "inspiration" the blesser receives is no different than giving a prayer.

God I hated giving those. I always felt like I had to come up with some kind of profound words to say but felt like I ended up just making up BS. Never felt "inspired" to say anything out of the ordinary.

If only women knew how much we hated do those things.

Posted by: newnameabigail ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 09:31PM

Yes its maybe because the women dont have the PH. And they should "encourage the guys to use it" - that was mentioned always when the lesson comes to PH in YW or RS. Because the guys don't know when we are in need until we go and tell them. (I was always wondering why the Spirrrit doesn't tell them who needs their magic fingers and oil, before they were asked so that they could offer it)
I never asked for it when I had little booboos but I know a lot of sisters who asked for everything. Headache? Ask the Priesthood. Flu? Ask the Priesthood. Strawberry week yes of course ask the priesthood after you described the poor Elders your cramps in every detail. Hit your toe on the bed? This calls for a blessing.
I think there are also two main types of women who ask for every booboo: young single girls to figure out the spiritual qualities of a potential EC and lonely single women, a little f..... by life but never by a guy seeking and getting some opposite gender attention and caressing by a worthy and so badly wanted priesthoodholder.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.