Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ThatLittleBriggyWentWeeWeeWee ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 04:26PM

Just state your early church history's ancestor's name and some information on him and/or her. Then we can see who is related. I'll start. My ancestor was Bills and he was Joseph Smith's tailor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anon genealogy ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 04:46PM

Manwaring (BYU-I)
Lee (not John D?)
Clark
Croft

Danish, English, German...

Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 04:51PM

My ancestors were Dr.Willard Richards. He was First Counselor to JS, and was with him when he died. He was among the first settlers in Salt Lake Valley, had prime land in what is now Downtown SLC. He was official church historian, and founded the Deseret News. He was a polygamist. His first wife died in childbirth, crossing the plains, and his second wife, the younger sister to the first wife, raised all the children. When Willard died, Brigham Young confiscated all of the land, that Willard's second wife now owned, and forced her and her children to live on some useless swamp land, near Willard Bay. The widow's son, my ancestor, became a doctor, and quit Mormonism. I wish our family had followed in his footsteps, but his wife was a fanatic, and the Mormon curse continued.

On the other side of the family, my other ancestor was Newell Knight, Joseph Smith's neighbor. His claim to fame was that his wagon was borrowed by JS to carry the golden plates from the Hill Cumorah to JS's house. You can imagine how I laugh when Mormons try to say that there were no "Golden Plates," meaning, there was no pretense of having any Golden Plates. This side of the family were not polygamists. Newell's son was Joseph Knight. When he died, he left his widow a very nice covered wagon and a set of healthy oxen, which she and her children were going to cross the plains in, along with the other Mormons. JS said that a woman without a man couldn't make the journey, so he forced her to give her wagon and oxen to the church--her only possessions. She and her children lived IN A CAVE at winter quarters, and it nearly killed them.

Don'cha love the way the Mormons care for widows and children?

These and other equally heart-warming stories were written in the diaries of my ancestors, which I was able to read, before BYU got hold of them. They have vanished. Several cousins have tried to find them in the church archives, and they simple "aren't there."

None of this ever happened....

Posted by: toasty ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 04:56PM

Mine came from England and lead the Martin Handcart Company, then settled West Weber, Utah. John Evington Bitton.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 04:58PM

First we need to maintain some privacy, so be careful.

I can state Patty Bartlett Sessions, wife of Joseph Smith and mother of Perrigrine Sessions founder of Bountiful, Sylvia Sessions Lyon another wife of Joseph Smith and David Sessions.

Also Ira Hatch.

Posted by: genealogy ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 05:28PM

Cool name, Perrigrine.
Many weird Mormon names...

Posted by: beeblequix ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 06:53PM

Hi Heartless,

You and I are cousins. Toodles,

Beeblequix

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 05:05PM

where does Kevin Bacon fit in to all of this ?

Posted by: insider ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 05:33PM

Kevin Bacon filmed Footloose in Payson, including the great tractor face-off by the canal, Payson high, various locations in UT valley. He wouldn't recognize Payson now, with the temple...

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 05:09PM

Kids have Danish Olsen ancestors who pulled a handcart to Utah. The husband started taking 20-22 year old plural wives when his own wife was in her 40s. He ended up with 5 wives.

TG

Posted by: genealogy ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 05:57PM

Anyone have ancestors who settled Mount Pleasant area?

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 06:18PM

Maybe so. There are ties to Sanpete County. I think that's where they initially settled. It's on my ex-husband's side of the family. I don't remember any other names.

TG

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 05:18PM

Christian Christiansen

Jonathan Hale

Posted by: crathes ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 05:19PM

Briant Stringham - In Pioneer company with BY. Managed Antelope Island.
Israel Barlow - finder and founder of Nauvoo.

Posted by: flecher ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 05:42PM

Thomas McBride, 1776-1838. Joined the church in 1831. He was killed at the Haun's mill massacre. He was shot with his own gun after surrendering it and then cut to pieces with a corn cutter. He was my and my brother Don Bagley's great great great grandfather.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 06:30PM

Posted by: lue ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 05:43PM

Van Cott....John VanCott I believe....handcart company...which one, I do not know

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 06:20PM

One ancestor was a settler of Logan at BY's behest- Peter Maughan.

Only other thing I know about my Mormon so-called 'heritage' is my grandmother was a cousin twice or thrice removed from ET Benson.

All of it on my mom's side. Dad was a teenage convert.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 06:44PM

Beginning at 11:00 in this conference video Elder Burton mentions one of my ancestors.
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2011/04/the-sanctifying-work-of-welfare?lang=eng#watch=video

I'm from one of the child's siblings. What Elder Burton didn't say, and the church doesn't like to talk about is that the child's parents left the church and returned to England taking several children with them.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 07:02PM

Ancestors. Pioneers all. Except McBride, his daughter handcarted her way to Utah.

Thomas Mc Bride
Albert King Thurber
Cornelius Biddlecome
Jesse Berry
Johann Beck

Posted by: sage ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 07:05PM

Alice Brooks of the Willie Handcart Co.

Anson Call, associate of JS.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 07:23PM

Aside from the big ones (great-great-grandfather Lorenzo Dow Young; my grandfather's mother was Sarah Dearmon Rich, Charles Coulson Rich's daughter), but on my grandmother's side, the Thatchers and Hatches. Someone mentioned Ira Hatch already; we're probably related.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 07:30PM

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 07:36PM

Luckily I have no Mormon ancestors and I left the church with my entire family that way I won't be cursed by those who follow in my wake for starting them on the Mormon path.

Posted by: Moron I ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 07:54PM

Benjamin Fucktard Johnson - not proud of his polygamous choices

Posted by: contrarymary ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 07:59PM

Barnabas Adams. Convert from Canada. Made it to Nauvoo just after JS was killed. Left his wife and baby in Far West because he was asked to join Brigham's wagon train. Was one of the two scouts to first scout the SL Valley. I'm descended from his 1st wife. He had a granddaughter from his 3rd wife who was the famous broadway actress, Maud Adams.

Posted by: Blackheart440 ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 08:04PM

Related to William draper (draper UT). Family comes from San Pete area. Also freedom UT.

Posted by: superman4691 ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 08:31PM

John D Lee, infamous for MMM.

John Solomon Fullmer, stayed with Joseph Smith and others in Carthage jail the night before his killing.

Jehu Cox, early LDS convert, first settlers in Fort Union near Cottonwood Heights, later a settler of Sanpete, County.

Nathan Staker, first settlers of Sanpete County, Utah

Abraham Day, early convert, soldier in the Mormon Battalion.

Albert Mecham, early settler of Wallsburg, Utah.

David Garlick, died in Nauvoo in 1843 of an illness, left a wife and 3 small children to cross the plains unassisted, and nearly destitute.

Just to name a few.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2015 09:05PM by superman4691.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 09:53PM

All my ancestors were late 1800s converts. But my kids come through the Murdock line. BY sent for a sheephearder from Scotland, John Murray Murdock and sent him to settle the Heber Valley. He was a big polygamist so there are a lot of Murdocks in that area.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 09:58PM

I've already found some here I was related to.
Through Chauncey Webb, on my mother's side.
:)

Posted by: noncompete ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 10:08PM

Yep we're related :) both sides of my family are covered in this post.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 10:10PM

1) John Neff (founded Millcreek Utah)
2) Eli Harvey Pierce (1st bishop of Box Elder Co.)
3) BY (legitimate uncle) and spiritual grandfather/male-spouse
through same sex pioneer sealing
4) Porter Rockwell (uncle)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 10:13PM

Charles Clark and Sarah Sloat Burr, from Hartford. CT were passengers on the ship Brooklyn, chartered by the church to take Mormons from New York to San Francisco. Their issue number in the 1000's and have a myriad of Utah family names.

Ron Burr

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 10:14PM

The early "settlers" were already here, Native Americans, not Lamanites...

(Do they still sing that old primary song? Book of Mormon Stories? Ugh!)

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 10:18PM

I don't know the exact connection, but I come through a plig line with the name of Barney.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.