Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 09:13AM

Looks like the powers that be are sending a message for using certain, church approved, material. Liars.

http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/2475803-155/mormon-bishop-dismisses-teacher-for-using

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: crookedletter ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 09:26AM

Wow! I wish this scenario would repeat itself across Mormondom. I think the teacher's shelf just grew heavier.

I also love the exchange about the spirit. Teacher says he felt moved by the spirit to discuss racism with his class. His bishop returns with a childish, "oh yeah? The spirit told me to tell you to stop."

DH and I had this spirit problem with our SP. Oddly, the spirit gave us conflicting information. Screwing the doctrine of personal revelation, the SP's spirit trumped ours.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 09:50AM

crookedletter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> DH and I had this spirit problem with our SP.
> Oddly, the spirit gave us conflicting information.
> Screwing the doctrine of personal revelation, the
> SP's spirit trumped ours.

Authority trumps revelation.

Posted by: crookedletter ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 09:57AM

Yep. We give that SP a hard time, but if it weren't for his power hungry leadership, we may still be full-tithe-paying TBMs.

I hope the teacher and kids in this article can look back one day and thank their local leaders for helping them find their way out of TSCC!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 09:52AM

But if it had been BY's time, the teacher and wife would have been murdered for the sin of interracial mixing.

Posted by: Armand Tamzarian ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 09:56AM

What a revealing article. So many sentences in the article say so much. Here is one:

"...and church was not the right venue for the discussion."

Nothing like saying you can't discuss church stuff in church. Or things relevant to the country and world. Nothing like muffling teachers who use "outside [LDS] resources material" to teach their classes.

Looking at the church as if it were a baby on my lap, I would chuck it lightly on the cheeks, grab its little feet, and coo, "Who's shooting them in their little feet? Who's shooting them in their little feet? Yeah! Yeah! You, that's who! Who's shooting them in their little feet?"

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 12:08PM

So funny, and so very true. I'm surprised TSCC has anything other than bloody stumps left considering the expert podiatric marksmanship on display so often.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 09:59AM

Soviet style censorship. The essays were meant to trick outsiders into thinking the church deals honestly with its past. But don't mention it during indoctrination sessions.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 10:03AM

I think the essays were in response to Tom Phillips fraud lawsuit. Now the church can say "See, we're not hiding anything- our history in our website- hard to find, but it's there"

But, they really don't want anyone to read them, and certainly not teach from them. Cowards!

Posted by: jkjkjkjk ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 10:59AM

They announced there would be essays before Tom. It was probably the Swedish Rescue Mission which put it on a fast track.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 10:09AM

Maybe the missing part of the story is that teacher used the N-word

Nephite

Probably got him in a lot of trouble.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 10:22AM

Oops!

An LDS sunday school teacher removed for teaching church approved stuff. What?

Mouse over, click, slide, click, clickety, click, click.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 10:31AM

The church clearly wants the essays out there so they can point to them and say - "see we are trying to get the truth out".

But for god's sake no member should ever refer to them or discuss them in any church gathering. This is especially true when teaching the youth. We want to keep lying to them so they will go on missions and marry other MO-Bots and have lots of MO-Bot children.

What a crock of we all know what! Day by day TSCC gets sicker and sicker. Before long only complete idiots will be able to stomach it.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 10:32AM

but... they CLAIM they don't hide anything....

I don't understand this, not at all.

Date: May 05, 2015 10:40AM

This has been the Mormon way since day one. Joseph Smith often said one thing and did another. He repeatedly lied about only having one wife while at the same time having sexual relationships with literally dozens of women.

Joseph Fielding Smith, the longest serving church historian, was one of the biggest liers TSCC has ever produced. He claimed on numerous occasions that the church history is correct and true while, at the same time, hiding away the very documents which clearly prove that it isn't.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 10:35AM

Many of you have said it before: Mormons are their own worst enemies. I am happy to see this in press. We can hope that Huffington or somebody picks it up.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 10:48AM

The list grows longer and longer of what the cult controls. I love Templar's observation:

"Before long only complete idiots will be able to stomach it."

Hells bells, I hope he is right. I have some family members I am so ready to see roll on out of the cult. They do not deserve to be in it and to treated by the cult as Facist Drones.

As I just posted on another thread, go ahead you stupid, silly, dangerous cult. Keep on adding silly rule after rule as you are only making more and more thinking members leave.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 10:54AM

Might start a crack in this families shelf.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 10:55AM

You mean, he found a quick way to get out of his unpaid ministry? This sounds like and easy way for LDS laypeople everywhere to get released from their callings.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 11:00AM

since I've been out for 20 years now (yet it seems like yesterday), I was reminded EVERY lesson that I was not to use any other material except the page and a half (half pages, so three-quarters of regular size) in the lesson manual. I had at least 30 minutes for the lesson. I only used Ensigns, but I was told I was not allowed to.

Posted by: Liz ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 11:09AM

This is alarming because it makes TBMs not trust the essays even though they are based on fact AND on the official church website. No wonder none of the 15 put their names to the essays.

Just based on this one incident, if members understood the implications instead of blindly following along without a critical thought in their brains, they would realize that there really isn't any truth or freedom AT CHURCH.

No other place to discuss church doctrine, belief, or policy now.

Bottom line: Keep silent, keep your head down, and keep obeying or you'll lose. And the possibilities of loss can be eternal. Nice threatening church, this one.

So members cannot use the essays in lessons, only the boring repetitive dialogue from correlated materials.

No wonder church is so boring and is losing the youth and young adults.....as well as the long standing tithe payers.

The church is changing before our very eyes and it is in print.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 12:25PM

Liz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is alarming because it makes TBMs not trust
> the essays . . . .

I don't trust the essays, because they were put there to spin,
not to get at truth.

Date: May 05, 2015 01:40PM

+ Well said!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2015 01:40PM by Templar.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 11:24AM

The bishop really fired him for that horrible shirt/tie combination...

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 11:48AM

"Eventually, their local LDS leaders agreed that Dawson's materials were legitimate but decided he shouldn't teach them anyway.

"It was too much for the kids, they argued, and church was not the right venue for the discussion."

Yes, heaven forbid that teenaged children should be taught material about church history from a church website in a church meeting.

"The essay noted the priesthood ban was rooted more in earthly racism during Young's era than heavenly revelation."

Unfortunately for the church, those racist doctrines are also included in canonized scripture---the Book of Abraham and the Book of Moses. And those racist doctrines were taught by Joseph Smith, and are still repeated in "Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith," which is published by the church:

"The power, glory and blessings of the Priesthood could not continue with those
who received ordination only as their righteousness continued; for Cain also
being authorized to offer sacrifice, but not offering it in righteousness, was
cursed." ("Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith," p. 169.)

"I referred to the curse of Ham for laughing at Noah, while in his wine, but
doing no harm. Noah was a righteous man, and yet he drank wine and became
intoxicated; the Lord did not forsake him in consequence thereof, for he
retained all the power of his Priesthood, and when he was accused by Canaan, he
cursed him by the Priesthood which he held,...and the curse remains upon the
posterity of Canaan until the present day." (ibid, pp. 193-194.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2015 11:58AM by randyj.

Posted by: greenAngel ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 01:14PM

yeah i love how they call the racist stuff that i was taught in sacrament mtgs, primary classes, and yw classes while i was growing up "false doctrine."

funny how the definition of false changes lol

Date: May 05, 2015 01:43PM

They finally got it caught in the wringer and they no longer have Joseph Fielding Smith to lie their way out.

Posted by: This is stunning ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 11:59AM

This is pretty awesome

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 12:03PM

It could be worse PR for the church. At least his wife isn't . . . . . Oh god -

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 12:04PM

Or THINK. (or even begin to think, or, what LDS calls question/ doubt).

It is NOT a place to worship nor a PLACE of WORSHIP.

Unless you worship man made authority, rules, superstitions, fears, guilt, faux salvation, impossible promises and endless mindtraps and pyramid structures.

There is no room on any bench in the Mormon Church for a free thinker, for a GoOD worshipper, a lover of people being real, and especially, with their church being real with them.

The moment you open your eyes someone will be looking to fire you.

It's better to quit something that doesn't work (and only wants you to work - and pay for it)

Posted by: escapedin2012 ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 12:16PM

I'm a little surprised KSL or DN hasn't picked up this story yet ;-).

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 12:23PM

A teacher uses Church approved materials from the Church website and he gets released. Joke right???

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 12:51PM

It seems obvious this family went to the media to tell their story. That will not go over well with the stake pres. and bishop. I get a feeling all hell is going to break loose over this. As well it should.

Well now we all know the truth about the essays. As usual what the church does and what the church says aren't matching up.

They didn't print those essays for the members to use! Silly mormons. They printed them to try and keep their ass out of multiple slings. They tried as hard as they could to keep those things on the down low and hush hush. Nobody was supposed to find those essays. If you did, you're not supposed to talk about them. May heaven help you if you use them to teach, especially to the kids. Kids have no business knowing the truth!

I hope this article goes viral and I also hope the mormon church has created themselves a big old hole that they don't have enough shovels to dig themselves out of. It disgusts me that they send young naive kids out to knock on doors of people who know way more about mormonism then they do. Sets those kids up for failure, depression, and psychological problems. Those old men don't care about that.

I'm thinking RFM is a real pain in the butt to the mormon church. We just won't shut up about those essays. Type in mormon essays, and you just might end up on mormonThink, RFM or many other sites that will tell you where to find the latest info the church has put out but doesn't want anyone to find.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2015 12:52PM by madalice.

Posted by: bigbadger ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 01:27PM

Awesome post -- I agree 100%!

Posted by: SentHome8 ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 01:33PM

What is it with Bishops and power trips? I hope this guy's stake pres. and bishop are crapping themselves right now.

Date: May 05, 2015 01:50PM

If pushed hard enough, the unholy fifteen are going to have to admit just what the hell the so-called "essays" really are and why they are on their official website unsigned.

The bastards are finally caught with their pants down and can't even claim "this isn't what it looks like"!

I hope JD has a field day with this.

Posted by: gdteacher ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 01:52PM

I was a gospel doctrine teacher for many many years. I was teaching when the introduction of the correlation committee teaching methodology replaced all individuality throughout the church auxiliary lesson manuals. The problem here, is that this teacher did not follow his manual. He may have been teaching from church sources, but that is no longer allowed, and hasn't been allowed for decades now.

In years gone by, teachers had to spend hours gathering information, and developing an interesting lesson.
TSSC wants to control the information, or more so, the spin of the information so along came the correlation committee. The essays are starting to be used as reference information in teaching manuals, however, a teacher is only allowed to use the information as presented in the manual. The spin is carefully controlled.

I was once unceremoniously released for presenting information from Mormon Doctrine. A wannabe intellectual in the class didn't like it (for various reasons the book was controversial and I strayed from the lesson plan). This guy complained to the bishop and I was released that very day.

This guy knew he was asking for trouble from the get go. It is also evident that he was anxious to support TSCC's spin of their notorious racist history in order to shield his own children from the inherent racism in Mormonism.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.