Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 06:24PM

A guy I've known for several decades, I found out today, was baptized last fall. At first I thought he was joking, but no he wasn't...and now he's wondering what he's gotten himself in for. He lives on a rural road surrounded by Mormons near my old stomping grounds about 6 miles from here and I guess he was piled upon and succumbed. He's a real estate agent and in fact has the listing for the farm of my HP geezer (HPG) nemesis I've written about extensively here.
It was an interesting conversation. He told me the HPG`s wife was the one who wanted it sold so they can move into the city and that the HPG is being an asshole about it. And then he tells me the guy`s kids don't have much to do with him either because he was so mean to them when they were growing up. He (the HP geezer) is an uber TBM and bully and treats anyone not toeing the line poorly. He screwed his own brother over for years. I just hope his time is limited (he`s 90) so his wife can enjoy her money after he takes the dirt nap.

Ron Burr

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 10:05PM

poor guy

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 10:55PM

shmuck

Posted by: amyjomeg ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 11:21PM

Your friend may have converted for business sake. Since he's surrounded by Mos, then they favor their church neighbors over the 'unenlightened others.'

I know from visiting St. George in January, there's lots of croniesm and nepotism there, amongst the LDS. As a real estate agent they refer family and friends to other LDS. LDS is keenly aware of this, so many TBM may only be "in" it for the business.

He may only be trying to maneuver from the sounds of it, to help his reputation and grow his clientele. It's a smart business move on his part, but if his heart isn't really into the religion it may still hinder his business. Unless he's a really good actor.

Date: May 06, 2015 11:30PM

That would not surprise me. I was running down the church pretty good in front of him this afternoon...and he was listening.

RB

Posted by: 3X (nli) ( )
Date: May 07, 2015 08:12AM

I think a new abbreviation is in order:

NMM: Newly Minted Mormon

and its correlary:

RUMM: Recently Unminted Mormon

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 07, 2015 08:43AM

Or will he remain disgruntled and silent?

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 07, 2015 09:23AM

If he is 90 and doesn't have much time left, he probably wants to hedge his bets with the afterlife. If there is no afterlife, he looses nothing. If there is an afterlife, he has just had a reset on his list of sins.

Date: May 07, 2015 01:24PM

The NMM real estate guys is someone I hope to see again. I want to know who put the pressure on him to drink the Kool Aid. I've already told him how I was raised. with respect and how I raised my children with zero church exposure so hopefully I can knock a couple bricks off his Mormon wall. This could be interesting.

Ron Burr

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.