Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: danielson ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 10:13PM

Saw this article today. My wife and I have been talking about why TSCC is so intent on railing against gay marriage even when it hurts their precious public image. As always, it's about the $$$.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/05/06/are-religious-colleges-at-risk-if-supreme-court-approves-same-sex-marriage/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 11:03PM

defeating the ERA? Why didn't men of African descent have the priesthood until 1978? Why did they ex the September Six? Why are those with brown skin less valiant in the preexistence?

Why is Mormonism fundamentally based on racism and misogyny?

Why would anyone support such an institution?

Why would anyone subject their children to such a mind fuck of bigotry?

ETA: why does autocorrect screw me every time? And I'd like to thank the OP for the opportunity to post this misplaced rant - my mind inserted "is" into the subject line. Yes. BYU doesn't want to be Bob Jones.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 11:20PM by Beth.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 11:08PM

I would suggest this is being fought so bitterly by LDS Inc less due to the fact their university may need to pay taxes, but rather with the organization taxable would have to open their books for the IRS and perhaps publicly.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 11:18PM

Taxes and opening their books gets my vote.

(Follow the money.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 11:18PM by wine country girl.

Date: May 06, 2015 11:23PM

University.

TSSC falls under a different type of Federal tax-exempt status.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 11:36PM

Beth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> University.
>
> TSSC falls under a different type of Federal
> tax-exempt status.

There are many of us that think the university is a laundering operation.

When we have followed the money trail from other countries, foreign monies are all filtered through BYU.

One might assume domestic monies have been too, including payouts to LDS shareholders.

Many of us would love a glimpse at the financial books.

Date: May 07, 2015 12:02AM

Here's the rub: Religious organizations are straight up 501(c)(3)s UNLESS they lobby. Hahahahaha! Yeah.

Universities are 501(c)(3)s, but they have to submit 990s - churches don't.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 11:56PM

If the mormon church is ever forced to open their books in my lifetime, it will be the best day of my life.

Finally, every misery they've rained down on people around the world will be poured down on them. They will feel every punch, slap, stab and lie they've delivered to others.

May their Karma come after them sooner than later.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: May 07, 2015 01:34AM

Mormon's are scared about the gay problem because of what the bible says about it. Remember Sodom and Gomorah, fire and brimstone? They don't understand that just because god killed everyone in ancient times for gay acts, we are more sophisticated so he won't take it against us, and kill us too.

(I'll probably offend someone with that one..., oh well?)

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: May 07, 2015 09:09AM

I agree with your reason on this poopstone. I don't believe any of it in the Bible or Book of Mormon but Mormons do. Mormonism has an additional scripture that others don't, Ether 2:9-10.

9 And now, we can behold the decrees of God concerning this land, that it is a land of promise; and whatsoever nation shall possess it shall serve God, or they shall be swept off when the fulness of his wrath shall come upon them. And the fulness of his wrath cometh upon them when they are ripened in iniquity.

10 For behold, this is a land which is choice above all other lands; wherefore he that doth possess it shall serve God or shall be swept off; for it is the everlasting decree of God. And it is not until the fulness of iniquity among the children of the land, that they are swept off.

If they don't fight against same sex marriage and it becomes the norm, the Book of Mormon teaches that god will do to America the same thing he did to Sodom and Gomorrah. The Book of Mormon claims that America is so much more special than anywhere else on earth, so it has to be protected from sin and destruction and all that crazy patriotic shit that Mormons get into. The nutcase Mormons believe this, it is taught by their so-called profits and apostatles straight from Joe Smith's fraudulent Book of Mormondumb.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 07, 2015 08:18AM

Because it doesn't want you to think, feel or do anything that may be considered 'different', 'strange' or 'unfamiliar' to the party line.

Posted by: Ugh, Fox? ( )
Date: May 07, 2015 09:22AM

This is just an anti-gay marriage propaganda piece by a very biased (fake) news organization.

Legalizing gay marriage won't do a thing to damage churches that don't want to accept it.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 07, 2015 12:52PM

Ugh, Fox? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is just an anti-gay marriage propaganda piece
> by a very biased (fake) news organization.
>
> Legalizing gay marriage won't do a thing to damage
> churches that don't want to accept it.

I was thinking the same thing Faux news is anything but

credible. The mormon church is homophobic. Thats the

reason they hate anything to do with gays and lesbians.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: May 07, 2015 12:46PM

So someone throws up a bogus, and imflamitory statement from Fox (Faux) News so that the resident homophobes on RFM can spout their Bullsh!t.

Yawn

The Mormon Cult remains homophobic because it has always been a refuge for BIGOTS.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: May 07, 2015 11:34PM

Mormons believe homosexuality is a sin. Why? Because God said so, that's why!

When you start with that premise, where do you go from there? No amount of empirical evidence or argument is going to get you any further than a teenager gets with a parent who says, "Because I'm the daddy, that's why!"

When my parents pulled that card, I knew they had nothing to back up their decision. As a teen, I had no choice to but to play along. As an adult, I don't put up with that crap, so I left.

They are just digging in their heels at this point. They want to prove they can't be pushed, but we know from their long history of caving that they will cave. It's just getting to the point where the price of stubbornness is more than they are willing to pay.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.