Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: unabashed ( )
Date: May 08, 2015 03:46PM

It was apparently the practice in the 1940s to publish the names of those excommunicated. The majority of the names in 1943 were women. I wonder when this practice started and ceased?

https://archive.org/stream/improvementera4601unse#page/n31/mode/2up

It would be interesting to find their obituaries and learn of their post-LDS life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: May 08, 2015 03:50PM

Posted by: jcrichards ( )
Date: May 08, 2015 03:54PM

I think members at the time thought of the excommunication section as the obituaries section. There were many things that were acceptable back then that aren't now.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: May 08, 2015 04:08PM

I noticed the section heading, "The Church Moves On".

Leaving wreckage in its wake.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 08, 2015 04:19PM

moose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I noticed the section heading, "The Church Moves
> On".
>
> Leaving wreckage in its wake.

And just look at the foul putrid garbage that "THE" church could not manage to leave behind and drug along with it, people like Bruce R. McConkie, as an allusion to McConkie's (STUPID)
comment that: the caravan ( "THE" church) moves on (doing MORmON Jesus' brain dead MORmON work) in spite of barking dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNO2aPLaP2o

Posted by: wildtapirs ( )
Date: May 08, 2015 05:00PM

I like how the excommunications are several columns above the obits.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 08, 2015 05:38PM

Reading between the lines:

Sadie May Detenbeck Eaton was excommunicated on the same day (and ward and stake) as Afton Gillespie Sawyer. She was the widow of Alma Eaton with whom she had five children. She later married Mr. Sawyer, with whom she had one additional child.

It appears that we can assume that there was some hanky-panky going on between the two members.

Isn't genealogy fun?

http://www.ourfamilyhistories.org/getperson.php?personID=I164786

A little additional info -- Sadie had a tough life. Her mother died giving birth to her at age 25. Her father died just a few years later. It looks like Sadie was sent to live with an aunt and her husband. She was christened shortly after her birth so it looks like she wasn't born Mormon. Plus she was a young widow (at age 25.)

But no mercy for her from the Mormon church.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2015 05:57PM by summer.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: May 08, 2015 06:07PM

Very interesting link, thanks.

In addition to seeing an ad for a book written by an uncle of mine (double half great uncle to be precise) I notice here:

https://archive.org/stream/improvementera4601unse#page/n57/mode/2up

that the coverup of old JoD and Millenial star publications looks to have begun even earlier than I thought. As early as the 1940s

Posted by: unabashed ( )
Date: May 09, 2015 10:19AM

I have found obituaries for a number of the individuals contained in these postings. Many went on to lead good lives. And it is also apparent the issue of polygamy permeated the faith.

Looking through the issues of WW2 the LDS are strangely removed from the emotion of war. Aside from the ads about agriculture and food rationing, there is almost no sense that 12 million Americans have been mustered and many are on the frontline of combat. It is a muted and cold perspective.

There was one great issue in 1944 that talks about the problem of delinquency and divorce and how "this generation" is losing moral ground,etc. This is while many are off fighting the Nazis and Imperial Japan. How would you like to be in foxhole at Anzio and have your faith leaders attacking your morality? Today leaders use the same refrain and refer to that Generation as the "Greatest Generation." Not much original.

Issue after issue worships Joseph Smith. It's hard to find Christ. In response to critics, leaders will simply call them "stupid" and I guess they assume that satisfies the curiosity of members with questions. There is an odd contradiction of rolling our professors from BYU to "prove" points, while condemning all other "intellectuals."

The issues read very fast and would recommend them to all.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2015 10:25AM by unabashed.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 09, 2015 12:10PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.