Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 10, 2015 03:12PM

you know I just can't explain how much I hate the mormon church

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: May 10, 2015 03:29PM

And once again the LDS church is in the news in a negative way.

Posted by: siflbiscuit ( )
Date: May 10, 2015 03:42PM

What shining beacons of Christianity Mormons are. Especially the Ray Rice comment. Just wow.

Posted by: liberal mormon ( )
Date: May 10, 2015 06:46PM

The teacher who suggested that someone should haul off and physically assault this girl should be fired!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 10, 2015 07:35PM

naturally it was a coach.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: May 10, 2015 04:55PM

Molly Mormon or Norman Nonmormon for class pres? No contest.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: May 10, 2015 07:30PM

Don't they have messages in schools about bullying? Mormons can be the worst bullies of all.

I agree the teacher who stated the girl should get beat up should be fired. What a "role model teacher."

Only a Mormon can enter the celestial kingdom of high school, student body president. They are usually male also, or used to be.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 10, 2015 07:35PM

Was that a Mormon coach advocating assault? Where have we heard that before?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2015 07:35PM by donbagley.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 10, 2015 07:37PM

If the school's population is over 50% Mormon, then the bishops would only need to order that the Mormon being elected.

If they are afraid some free agency might kick in it sure would be an embarrassment.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 10, 2015 08:00PM

Well, if the student body didn't vote to change their constitution to allow her to run, they certainly wouldn't have voted for her in the election for student body president.

I'm going to play Devil's advocate. If I'm reading the story correctly, she was already enrolled in college and receiving dual credit (college/high school.) If that's the case, she probably wasn't on the high school campus all that much. You could make a case that she would not have been able to fulfil her duties as student body president to the degree that was expected.

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: May 10, 2015 08:11PM

I agree. I am neither accepting or rejecting he idea that religion is the big issue here. It could be and there are certainly Mormons who would make it an issue,but it sounds as if there are other factors involved. There are also non Mormons who use every possible occasion to criticize the church, sometimes unfairly. As a teacher, I have seen both extremes.I,an ex Mormon,have been accused of promoting Mormonism by mentioning Mormonism and early prophets. I was teaching Utah history. Kind of hard to teach it without mentioning Mormons.I say we wait and see on this one.

Posted by: The Dude ( )
Date: May 10, 2015 08:23PM

Typically the class is taught by a highly qualified instuctor (i.e. masters degree holder or by a curriculum and instructor approved by the institution), over video conferencing in a special classroom, or online in the computer lab. The closest college is in Twin Falls so doubt she went all the way there. I student taught in that district as well and I doubt it has changed in 3 years.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 10, 2015 08:44PM

It depends. In my neck of the woods, the kids attend regular community college classes. A friend of mine from high school (from a prominent Mormon family) enrolled as a regular college freshman. We barely saw her until she attended the high school graduation ceremony at the end of the year.

But given that the closest college to this particular girl is some distance away, I take your point.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 07:08PM

Actually there's a satellite campus of CSI in Burley. CSI's main campus is in Twin Falls.

Posted by: theviking ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 01:01AM

I grew up in Utah and I remember one of the girls who became a student body officer for her senior year. She did most of her classes at UVSC and pretty much peaced out the whole year and we never saw her. One of my best friends was also an SBO and they all pretty much hated her because of it. It resonated the whole year.

If the girl is off campus all the time then she shouldn't be running for president. She might just say the whole Mormon thing because she's pissed. Not saying she is... but maybe.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 01:24AM

maybe she is getting college credits by taking AP classes.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 01:32AM

seemed like evidence of religious discrimination.

I do realize this was a follow-up complaint involving a suggestion of violence, which is a serious problem.

Any link to the first complaint?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.