Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 04:51PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/05/12/harry-reid-slams-nfl-and-roger-goodell-on-deflategate-and-racist-redskins-name/

“Yesterday, the National Football League punished one of its most recognizable players, [for] having tampered with game balls,” Reid said. “I find it stunning that the National Football League is more concerned about how much air is in a football than with a racist franchise name that denigrates Native Americans across the country. The Redskins name is a racist name. So I wish the commissioner would act as swiftly and decisively in changing the name of the D.C. team as he did about not enough air in a football.”

Gee, I wonder if it ever crossed Senator Reid's mind that he is an active, believing member of a religion which teaches that native Americans' dark skin is a curse from God given thousands of years ago because of the wickedness of modern native Americans' long-dead ancestors? And that God turned their skins dark so they wouldn't be sexually attractive to white people?

Don'tchya wish that some reporter would ask Senator Reid about that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 04:53PM

Pot, meet kettle.

Posted by: flanders ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 05:01PM

Exactly, Don. This nimrod has some pretty big cajones to call out a corporate entity for its racism. This from a member of another corporate entity that propagated its own hatred for 148 years. The NFL has only been in existence for what, 60-70 years?

Shameful.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2015 10:03PM by flanders.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 05:02PM

There are lots of questions a reporter should ask Reid regarding his politics and his religion... there is a major disconnect.

Posted by: The Navidson Record ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 05:52PM

Sounds like he struck a nerve man.

He's senate majority leader. What do you do?

Date: May 12, 2015 08:53PM

"Sounds like he struck a nerve man.

"He's senate majority leader."

He's senate minority leader. Try to keep up.

"What do you do?"

I post stuff about hypocritical Mormons on RFM.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 09:17PM

Don't you love it, randyj, when you get some chuckleheaded advice about whom you may criticze?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 05:58PM

Not anymore.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 09:54PM

I think Harry is too old and entrenched to become exmo, but I get the feeling he is definitely a NOM. I have never heard any rousing oratory from him about mormonism (or anything else come to think about it). Mitt made several public statements about the strength and greatness of his faith, I haven't heard much from Harry, just a bare bones conversion story.

Date: May 12, 2015 10:15PM

"I think Harry is too old and entrenched to become exmo, but I get the feeling he is definitely a NOM. I have never heard any rousing oratory from him about mormonism (or anything else come to think about it)."

I don't know how big of a believer he is either, but I read an article just a few days ago talking about some guy's baptism, and Reid did the confirmation. So he's at least active enough to do priesthood stuff.

Whether he's a TBM or not, he should have thought for two seconds about his own church's doctrine about the skin color of native Americans before he took it upon himself to criticize the NFL. Although, it's possible that some aide wrote those remarks and Reid just read it without doing his own thinking. Reid is a major doofus that way, if you're familiar with his dust-up with Rush Limbaugh a few years ago over the "phony soldiers" issue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phony_soldiers_controversy

Reid's intent was to criticize Limbaugh as being unpatriotic, but he was clueless as to the meaning of Limbaugh's remarks, so Reid came across as an ignoramus. Limbaugh still jokes about how Reid is still out-to-lunch over the incident.

Date: May 12, 2015 10:17PM

I agree that Harry's feet should be held to the fire about his irrational religious beliefs, just as I feel about all politicians.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 10:30PM

Politics, like religion has a shelf life. Reid expired in the 1990's.

When political leaders and religious leaders stay in power until they are dead we don't get their best efforts–we get their worst.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 10:33PM

While Reid continues to lie about his constant black eyes that are apparently coming from his drunk brother.

Date: May 12, 2015 10:50PM

"While Reid continues to lie about his constant black eyes that are apparently coming from his drunk brother."

Radio talk show host Chris Plante's new nickname for Reid is the Exalted Cyclops.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 10:37PM

Harry wants the name changed to lamanites.

Date: May 12, 2015 10:51PM

"Harry wants the name changed to lamanites."

LOL. That line could be the title of an article in a publication called The Mormon Onion.

Date: May 12, 2015 11:15PM

The 800 lb gorilla in the room is the fact that American politicians must associate with some religion, any religion, often for political expediency. Obama did it with Wright,
Harry has the mormons. I look forward to the day when non-religiosity is no longer a black mark on candidates.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 12, 2015 11:26PM

I guess he would find any kind of common sense stunning. NFL football is an ersatz hero game. They can't have their "heroes" pulling chickensh!t crap like Brady did. Doing something about a name that pays homage (even if tongue in cheek) to the Native Peoples warriors is a little lower on the list. At least the NFL knows where it stands.

Date: May 12, 2015 11:34PM

Here come the firebombs but...I always interpreted the name "Redskins" as a bit of a backhanded compliment. Warriors. No one names an NFL team "The Monks". Having typed that and fully expecting to be flamed, I understand that a group who feels a name is insulting has a legitimate grievance. I never heard the term "Redskin" growing up, outside of football, so I never thought of it as a slur.

Date: May 13, 2015 03:03PM

"I always interpreted the name "Redskins" as a bit of a backhanded compliment. Warriors."

If you've followed that story, there are apparently lots of tribal chiefs who've said that they don't mind the name. Last season, the team owner even invited some chiefs into his luxury skybox to watch a game. They didn't seem to object.

I suppose that if the team wanted to be politically correct, they could change the name to Coppertones. They'd already have at least one advertiser. :-)

Posted by: Tal Bachman ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 01:12AM

Randy, you should write a letter to the editor!

Date: May 13, 2015 03:03PM

"Randy, you should write a letter to the editor!"

You do it! You're a better writer than I is.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 03:06PM

When Harry Met Fallacy.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: May 13, 2015 03:08PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.