Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: May 17, 2015 01:03PM

I was thinking about how the system of measuring time has persisted from the ancient world to today. Years are set by the revolution of the Earth around the Sun, but the divisions of the year into months and weeks, and the division of days into hours go back to systems established by the Egyptians and Babylonians. For the ancient Hebrews, keeping track of their calendar was critical for knowing when their Holy Days occurred. Our calendar is a legacy that comes from the dawn of history.

Yet, when I look at the calendars used by ancient Americans, I see little correlation of their calendars with the those of the ancient Fertile Crescent.

Others have commented on the absence of any mention of the High Holidays in the Book of Mormon, which is notable if it is history of Hebraic peoples (and yet contains a description of weights and values of precious metals). Has anyone published any examination and comparison of the ancient Hebrew calendar, Book of Mormon time system, and Native American calendars?

How a society measures time is part of its cultural DNA that survives and is passed on to future generations, as evidenced by our own calendar with its divisions and names that go back thousands of years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 17, 2015 02:01PM

A mopologist worth his salt would say that the evil Lamanites destroyed all evidence of the Nephites, including their calendar system.

But it raises another question. In restoring all things, why didn't JS put his church on the One True Jewish calendar? Why isn't the LDS sabbath at least on Saturday, where God originally put it (he ask, jokingly)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2015 02:03PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 17, 2015 02:04PM

Funny, years ago I read a long apologist (FAIR?) article on how the ancient Mesoamerican calender system lines up with the BoM!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.