Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: crissykays ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 11:32AM

I know years ago that boys could have had sex repented and obstained and then be allowed to go on a mission. I was curious to know what the rules are now? If a young man has already committed the act of "sex" can he repent etc. and then still go on a mission or is he out for good? Does anyone know the church policy on this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 11:37AM

I do not know about now, but in the MTC in the 80's I was surprised that I was the only virgin in my district

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2015 12:04PM by Demon of Kolob.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 01:34PM

Back then we called it the GA club.

Meaning you had to have an interview with a GA to get approved for the mission after the old (insert burgess merideth voice) hot beef injection.

There were only a couple in my mission, that I knew about I suppose, maybe not all of them were proud of it like Elder [redacted] and Elder [redacted] were.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 04:58PM

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 12:42AM

Nice! ;-)

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 06:47PM

Demon of Kolob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do not know about now, but in the MTC in the
> 80's I was surprised that I was the only virgin in
> my district

Kind of makes me feel like I got ripped off.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 09:59AM

Same here.

However, there's the reality that I probably couldn't have found anyone who wanted to have sex with me. I was so socially inept and a basket case around girls.

Posted by: xdman ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 11:40AM

I don't know for sure but this is my impression: If he has a child born or on the way or encouraged an abortion he can't go. If he had gay sex he can't go. If he had heterosexual sex he has to wait and be clear for a year?

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 12:08PM

xdman Wrote:
> I don't know for sure but this is my impression:
> If he has a child born or on the way or encouraged
> an abortion he can't go. If he had gay sex he
> can't go. If he had heterosexual sex he has to
> wait and be clear for a year?

Yup, that's the way it was back when I was dum enough to confess and was denied my call by Gordo B Stinky hisself when he was a young twelvie.

That year he told me to wait has now turned into 46 years of morg free joy.

:o)

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 11:50AM

I think xdman has it right. Ultimately, though, just let the *real* purpose of a mission serve as your guide: securing lifelong tithe payers from among the brainwashed. It is VERY unlikely that the leadership would exclude any category that represented anything more than a small number, since such an exclusion would greatly increase the likelihood of apostasy (and lower tithing revenues).

Posted by: Anonomo ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 12:25PM

I had swung both ways and did not have to wait or have any major issues about going on a mission. It may have helped that it had been 2 years or more since the "indescretions" but I don't know that for sure.

Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 12:34PM

I have several nephews that have left or are getting ready to go. According to them, if you have had sex, you are not going ever. Probably why they dropped the age to 18, to avoid the lure before graduation and 19th birthday.

Posted by: xdman ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 01:18PM

Heh, heh, heh. . .virgin sacrifices to the god of insanity.

Posted by: hoosierute ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 01:32PM

I had a mission companion who had sex with his girlfriend the night before going into the MTC. His bishop told him as long as he intended to marry her it wasn't worth stopping his mission for. He turned out to be a great salesman and was AP for the last half of his mission. I love the guy, he was a big crack in my shelf. Aside from all the premission sex, he obeyed nearly none of the rules, worked occasionally, and called home often, yet he baptized a ton and made AP.
Background: this was in Brazil early 2000.

Date: May 22, 2015 06:49PM

hoosierute Wrote:
> I had a mission companion who had sex with his
> girlfriend the night before going into the MTC.
> His bishop told him as long as he intended to
> marry her it wasn't worth stopping his mission
> for. He turned out to be a great salesman and was
> AP for the last half of his mission. I love the
> guy, he was a big crack in my shelf. Aside from
> all the premission sex, he obeyed nearly none of
> the rules, worked occasionally, and called home
> often, yet he baptized a ton and made AP.
> Background: this was in Brazil early 2000.

Some of the best baptizers I knew did not open their "White Bible."

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 02:48PM

I wonder if I contacted the COB, if it's possible they could ID the GA who interviewed me, and helped me remove the stink of teenage sex from my soul?

Wouldn't it be in my permanent file? You know, the one ghawd will have in front of him at the final judgment...

Date: May 22, 2015 03:20PM

I've wondered the same thing old dog.

Doncha think that somewhere in the dank vaults of mordor there lies a written history of each and every in house GA grilling of us guilt ridden cojcold castoffs?

Date: May 22, 2015 07:10PM

Shummy Wrote:
> I've wondered the same thing old dog.
>
> Doncha think that somewhere in the dank vaults of
> mordor there lies a written history of each and
> every in house GA grilling of us guilt ridden
> cojcold castoffs?

Those letters and proceedings are never discarded.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 03:34PM

I got to speak with TWO General Authorities -

The first G.A. who interviewed me back in 1976 was a very sweet old man named Henry D. Taylor. He was such a humble, nice guy that I couldn't bring myself to tell him everything I had done. His final remarks to me as he walked me out of his office were, "Be careful out there. There are a lot of women who would love to jump a missionary's bones." As I walked to my car I feared being struck by lightning for not being totally honest with him.

The second time was in the MTC when I was guilted into confessing the "rest of the story" to the MTC Prez. G.A. Carlos E. Asay sat in on my second interview with the MTC Prez and also asked me questions. By the end of the meeting they had pissed me off to the point that I told them I was done and walked off of my mission right then and there.

Posted by: atouchscreendarkly ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 05:02PM

Pffft! I read "missionaries and permission sex" an I was like, "They get iPads and SEX now?! WTF?!

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 05:12PM

I hear from some guys that one time on the intercourse choo choo train and they can't go ever.

I don't doubt the source on the next one: Guy had sex with two girls the night before going into the MTC and completed a "successful" mission.

Mormonism teaches you to be a very good liar.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 12:57AM

100% agree. Mormonism teaches you how to be very good liar. It's not possible to be perfect, so you learn to lie, and some feel constantly guilty about everything.

In the mid-2000s, if you had sex, it was repent, meet with the bish and stake pres, wait one year and go for it.

Date: May 22, 2015 07:09PM

I think now, if a young man dips his wick, he is not allowed to serve the Lord. As stated above, I think it promotes "dishonesty". I also wonder whatever happened to the concept of "forgiveness"?

It would be interesting to watch a video of the real lives of the general church politburo and see how wondeful they have been during their lives?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 07:10PM

as with Most 'discipline' matters, TSCC leaves it to locals; that way they avoid liability & criticism for unequal standards / lack of uniformity.

Date: May 22, 2015 07:43PM

A virgins-only mishie force is based on the days when aspirants were plentiful but alas cojcolds sales team is doomed for the same reason that pagan religions dwindle and collapse.....they eventually run out of the verifiably virtuous sacrificial virgins in an ever more decadent population.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2015 07:45PM by Shummy.

Posted by: siflbiscuit ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 08:11PM

We had a sister missionary who had had sex with her boyfriend and was still able to go.

Posted by: laxy ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 08:11PM

My current roommate's boyfriend (who is currently her ex) has been on his mission for over a year and they had sex regularly for at least 1.5 years before he left. And he left just a few months after deciding he was going to go. So...definitely had lots of premarital sex and definitely did't wait a year.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 03:34AM

had two comps early 2000's who were guilty of the 'big nasty.' One was a great worker, believed it all (he waited a year) felt some guilt, read the bom (knew what it was about). The other didn't wait, went at 19, he was terrible. Really didn't want to be there. Very immature. Never read through the bom, clueless.

Posted by: Robert Hall the Utah Photo GOD ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 09:05AM

The Lord forgives.

The Church writes it all down to be used to control you.

Posted by: crathes ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 09:45AM

With the "Raising the Bar" approach of a few years ago, the new rule is anyone with a pattern of sex is not allowed without extensive time waited. Pattern is three or more times, or three or more partners.

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 09:55AM

Or according to the 2006 handbook, gay sex in the last three years of adolescence is a deal breaker too--gotta get your experimentation in early if it's with dudes.

But of course we see the counterexamples listed above, so it looks like it's just bishop roulette as usual.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.