Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gayle ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 03:45PM

A Boston Stake President (not to be named) is responsible for 15 people leaving the church.

My older sister was very active and faithful member of the Mormon church. When her younger brother came home from his mission and was ready to get married in the temple, she wanted to go to the temple too. After all, she was 24 years old.

She got a recommend from her bishop and then went to her stake president who had the initials of M.R. He refused her because he said she should wait until she was ready to get married herself.

That was the straw that kicked the bucket for her, and she, over the next year, stopped going to church.

Sharing her story with my other older sister, that sister too, stopped going to church.

Eventually, my brother decided the whole thing wasn't fair, so he and his wife stopped attending church. At the time they had two children, eventually four.

My mother also quit going to church, and my father followed.

Two little brothers stopped going.
My older sister ended up marrying a non-Mormon and they have three children

So, thanks to this stake president in Boston, fifteen members have left the church.

We are all very greatful to Mr. R.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: May 22, 2015 03:46PM

that makes 16.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 03:51PM

I love stories like this! Thanks for sharing!

Date: May 22, 2015 07:15PM

Posted by: lvskeptic ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 07:37PM

Have you considered sending a thank you letter to the unnamed SP??

Date: May 22, 2015 07:47PM

his name is banned from this website.
For political reasons--of which this is not one.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 07:52PM

Stake President: "Clearly the foundations of their testimonies were weak to begin with so Fuck 'em"

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 08:03PM

People instinctively respond to injustice. I think we have a mental image of a just God, and when that doesn't play out in one's religion, the hackles rise.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 09:41PM

Is this who I think it is with the initials MR?

Its a good story with a happy ending... thanks for sharing it.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 22, 2015 11:15PM

with the theme of this thread in mind, I would like to thank Gordon Hinckley for being absolutely toxic to my testimony,
I would like to think that I would have gotten around to finally killing it myself, but when Hinckley turned up folksy charm it was the death knell for my beliefe in the MORmON cult. My testimony may or may not have been much to look at, but besides the money that LD$ Inc stole from me in the name of god, it was all that the MORmON cult had to use to try to control me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R70MkfSXgSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnbn7dJlwxc

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 01:02AM

Fantastic story! How wonderful for you and your family that one dumb a$$ could alienate a whole family. Happy times, indeed!

Posted by: Robert Hall the Utah Photo GOD ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 09:07AM

Could it be the one and only who did the charity exhibition 'fight' with former World Heavyweight Boxing Champ Evander Holyfield?

Posted by: Reality Check ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 09:29AM

MR served as Stake President from 1986 - 1994.

In all fairness to MR, he was almost certainly following the Church Handbook for Stake Presidents that existed during that time period.

As I recall, women were not allowed to be endowed unless they were getting married or going on a mission. Not too sure about military service.

The policy changed 10-20 years ago but my guess is that any SP would have denied your sister the recommend. Remember that local leaders have absolutely zero authority to change Morg policy.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 12:40PM

I was not encouraged but was allowed to get my endowment without going on a mission or getting married. This was 1986. So, either my bishop and SP were breaking the rules or it was allowed at that time. I was still in my 20's.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 23, 2015 12:15PM

I give them credit for finally making the decision. The SP deserves no such credit for his abuse. He's a self important oaf as are many priesthood authority guys. Any one of them might have been just as dictatorial.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.