Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 02:03AM

To the morg in this downturn economy?? Somebody not thinking right maybe!??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 08:40AM

This isn't the first "downturn economy."

Like a lot of people here, I faithfully wrote checks for a ton of money through good times and bad because I was told that the creator of the universe demanded it, and that my family would be destroyed in one form or another if I didn't.

And I beleived it.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 10:00AM

So God is a blackmailer it sounds like. Explain to me why God needs money to buy real estate?

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 10:53AM

annieg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Explain
> to me why God needs money to buy real estate?

+++

I thought he already had his own mansion.

Date: May 25, 2015 11:04AM

http://www.truthguard.com/Articles/is-tithing-biblical-a22.html

Search "tithing is not biblical" for any number of sites.

Religious freedom is an important concept, but scammers have corrupted the intent, fleecing US citizens of trillions? of dollars.

It's either charitable, or it's for personal gain. It's easy to spot the difference.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 08:45AM

The kind of person who thinks the Lord will bless them for it.

One time in the Ensign years ago the story was told of a Bishop and his Finance clerk taking care of the tithing, and the clerk notices a check from a woman who clearly can't afford it. When he asks if they shouldn't let her keep the money because she desperately needs it, the Bishop reminds him that she can't afford not to, because she needs the blessings.

At that very moment I thought I heard a cash register in the background and Martin Luther nailing a protest against the sale of indulgences to the church door. At the time, we were pinching pennies until the cried just to make ends meet while paying almost a months rent in tithing every month. We rejoiced in our shiny renewed temple recommends, which would have never been available to us without that continuing sacrifice.

Posted by: Annie Onymous ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 09:22AM

My mom, who insists that it's totally reasonable and worth it to pay 20% every month, even though she can't afford to pay her bills. She insists we need it, since the bishop "helps" us by giving us food (that could have easily been bought with that extra money) and paying our smallest bill. The amount she pays is $100 more than what she gets back in "welfare" but she insists otherwise.

She likes to tell stories about her family calling her crazy for giving LD$ so much, that she's soooo blessed because of it, and then talks about how sorry she feels for them. Most recent to speak up was my aunt, and my mom actually told her that "if you paid tithing, your boys would've stayed in the church. Instead, they're in jail. I can't afford to lose my kids like you can."

I don't think she'd take it well if we told her that one of us is a gay atheist, another a pagan, and the other (me) sick of religion and kicking back with other exmos on "anti-mormon" sites. For the record, we still think she's crazy, but don't say anything because that would feed her faith-promoting persecution delusion.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 09:37AM

Annie Onymous Wrote:
Most recent to speak up
> was my aunt, and my mom actually told her that "if
> you paid tithing, your boys would've stayed in the
> church. Instead, they're in jail. I can't afford
> to lose my kids like you can."
>

And every time something bad happens to a non-tithing payer, she can do the same thing. And every time something good happens to a tither, she can say "See!"

But I am sure when something bad happens to a tithe-payer, she offers a different explanation ("She is being tested by the Lord..."). And when something good happens to a non-tithe payer, it's something like "Satan is leading them along..."

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 10:02AM

Mormon logic at its finest. Sometimes I really don't feel that sorry for people like that. God (or evoltution in my eyes) gave them a brain and yet they refuse to use it.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 10:07AM

A wealthy fool !?!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 10:12AM

If you are speaking about your dad, I think he is hoping for extra blessings. But in my opinion, he would be more blessed if he used the money for his mortgage and expenses.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 10:30AM

I was taught by LDS, Inc., by their missionary representatives, that all my money came from God's grace. Therefore, His asking for 10% back, and me not giving it, would be stealing. I paid because I believed my money was not really mine and that LDS, Inc. was God's representative on earth (God's IRS Department).

I was also taught that it didn't matter how the money I gave God was spent. The point was for me to honor my commitment and give to God what already belonged to him as a test of my character. I don't believe I ever expected special blessings because I really didn't see any special blessings going to many of the people I knew paid tithing.

Once I saw the disconnect between God and TSCC it dawned on me (this revelation happened to me in the temple by the way) that I'd been deceived by a self-promoting corporation that cared nothing for God and nothing for me. It was a bit later I saw the disconnect between God and reality.

I've also noticed that the real blessings are going to those who collect tithing rather than those who pay it. How many destitute G.A.s have you met? Ever seen a G.A. at the welfare distribution center getting food for his family? I think not. Jesus, on the other hand, had very little. He traveled and lived on the donations of food and clothes people gave him along the way, as far as we know.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 10:48AM

You can now pay for your temple privileges with an on-line click:

http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/2461142-155/online-tithing-yes-mormons-soon-will

Incidentally, as a Baptist, I tithe. About 7-8% goes to my local churches, and the rest is spread about some secular and Christian groups that I support. I don't compute a definite "10%" -- it just works out that way.

I do this because I want to, not because I have to. In "The Four Love Languages," giving gifts is one way love is communicated in a relationship, and that's the way I see it between God and me: a love relationship. The problem is when it is a matter of manipulation, obedience, or some metaphysical gambit to manipulate God into blessing you.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 11:03AM

What kind of a man does it while forcing his sons to live in the garage without air conditioning and forgo school lunches?

Dad?

Date: May 25, 2015 11:12AM

donbagley Wrote:
> What kind of a man does it while forcing his sons
> to live in the garage without air conditioning and
> forgo school lunches?
>
> Dad?

One who cares more for himself than for his children, but you already know this.

---

After my father died, my mother tried to excuse his abuse and neglect by claiming that he must have suffered mental illness. Oddly, she never sought to protect her children from it, then.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 03:05PM

Coming from a long line of Ministers, I am familiar with people who dedicate their lives to their beliefs.
Tithing is Biblical. It is very often suggested, but not required by various religious congregations.
What kind of a person? One who is dedicated and made a commitment to their religious beliefs.

Posted by: evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 03:09PM

Doesn't TSCC now back away from promising "temporal" blessings from paying tithing? Isn't the implication that the blessings might come in the afterlife vs. assistance in this life? That way, people can't complain if they pay their tithing and financial reversals happen.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 03:09PM

Someone who believes that Jesus is coming back and that they will be burned to a crisp if they don't pay it. I even had a nightmare about that once. Jesus said, "I'm not taking you with me," and then I saw a vision of my charred body lying on a field with thousands of other bodies. Lovely.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 03:56PM

It's better to write checks to the ghost of a Galilean politician than to a living person who actually needs it.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: May 25, 2015 05:27PM

D&C 64:23 . . Behold, now it is called today until the coming of the Son of Man, and verily it is a day of sacrifice, and a day for the tithing of my people; for he that is tithed shall not be burned at his coming.

People who believe in the D&C believe their tithing is fire insurance.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.