Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: crissykays ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 12:16PM

My 6yr. old daughter was assigned a talk and I told the teacher she didnt want to give it yada yada no problem. BUT ole grandma asks her yesterday if she paid her next time would she give a talk. My daughter thought about it for a minute and said well for $100.00 i'll do it grandma. My mom said well I guess there wont be a talk lol I loved it. My mom was speechless and my lil girl didnt feel guilty like I was made to feel in my youth. I had to give the stupid talk even though it was hard on me to do it just because i was so painfully shy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 12:33PM

Your daughter has a keen mind.
And will probably be a good businessperson someday!

Hey, they're used to "pay and pray," this shouldn't be an issue for grandma...?

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 12:51PM

Fun story. I was never offered money for talks, grades, or to buy a car in high school. What was up with that? I had friends who got rewards, and one boy in particular whose dad would take him skiing, golfing, or out duck hunting for A's. Yeah, I wanted a piece of that picture.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 04:58PM

Tell her you will give her more not to talk.lol

It's nice you took up your child's slack. What did you talk on? Did you know better at the time? Wow!!

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 05:08PM

Only things I ever gave a reward to the kids for were jumping off a diving board (a sundae for a child afraid -and all the children got the treat) or for eating a sardine ($1 and only one took me up on it).

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 05:22PM

I had to do all that stuff to avoid a scolding and a whipping. There was no reward other than temporary abuse reduction.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 06:03PM

We raised a lot of children without scoldings or whippings or special rewards. The youngest in particular, being naturally perfect, never merited any rebuke or criticism, only love and praise. My mother often told us that there is a single secret of being a good parent: that your children know you love them and show it. Don, my parents did not believe in physical punishment nor in shunning nor in forcing us. Of course, my parents were not LDS.

Posted by: Hikergrl ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 07:53PM

I needed that reminder today...thank you!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 11:37PM

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 07:29PM

Next time send her with a talk... but the twist is get her to tell the truth.

I can see the primary presidency squirming in their seats already.

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 11:26PM

nonsequiter memikeyounot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One can only hope that he's paid tithing on the
> amount he made on that deal?

_______

And, right after the church realized that they had accepted ill-gotten gains, they rushed to turn those funds over to the State.

Stairway to Heaven.
Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Next time send her with a talk... but the twist is
> get her to tell the truth.
>
> I can see the primary presidency squirming in
> their seats already.

_______

But make sure she gets the money up front.

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: May 27, 2015 11:06AM

Another father in a ward we attended gave his son $100 as an inducement to bear his testimony. He said that he was able to earn such money to "bless his family."

My son wanted equal treatment. Negotiations started at $20. I learned that my son was willing to bear his testimony for as little as $5. He might have gone lower except Canada no longer has any bills of lower denomination ("real money"). He wouldn't condescend to do *anything* for coins.

But his father (me) believed that religous expression should not be influenced by money.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: May 27, 2015 11:17AM

DH was assigned a talk when he was about 14. He said no. They told him he "had" to give the talk and put his name in the program. They called to remind him about prayer meeting. He said no again. They finally believed him and his advisor gave the talk.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: May 27, 2015 02:46PM

I'm sorry that your mom does not respect you as a parent and feels compelled to undermine your parental decisions with bribes. If that was my mom, we'd be having a word or two about that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.