Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: May 27, 2015 08:53AM

Son of someone I know going to be a Mormon missionary in Philipines and will be wearing sandals and no suit. (The reason is perfectly clear) but, When did this happen?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: almost ( )
Date: May 27, 2015 08:56AM

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 27, 2015 09:28AM

They still wear white shirts, ties, and slacks.

Pretty much all they did is toss the suit coat.
'Cause it's hot in the Philippines :)

(Filipina wife, have spent months and months there, some of them snickering at the missionaries)

Posted by: pogie ( )
Date: May 27, 2015 10:08AM

airplane to the Philippines. White shirt and dark pants and shoes. We didn't have a car or Bike it sucks walked everywhere but the people are so nice. I did a lot of things I should not have done. I'll give you an example I served in the Northern Part of the Philippines. My comp was just like me didn't give a damn we would sleep in chase girls ect. For his Birthday he was really craving a steak. We knew that outback in manila had just opened up. We timed it right after zone conference we had 3 days where we wouldn't have contact with anyone. We took of on a 12 hour bus ride to manila. stayed overnight went to the mall of Asia to a bar got our steak then back in time for church that Sunday. he was a Crazy army guy and we are both good friends to this day. We both should of been sent home. Funny thing was that area we had the most baptisms out of any one on the mission and I think we broke every rule

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: May 27, 2015 07:46PM

...and he can wear sandals. I took this literally.

What it really means is you have to wear dress pants a tie and a shirt, and you can wear sandals.

Posted by: tikbalang ( )
Date: May 27, 2015 08:57PM

Hey Pogie....

If you come back to this thread.....I have a couple questions for you....

I see your screen name means Handsome ....in Filipino

Do you recognize my screen name....a tikbalang was a mythical monster in the PI...head of a man...body of a horse and real tall...that's how I picked up the nickname....Me...In PI 1969-1971. I've found other former PI missionaries here on rfm.

Sound like you were there after me ????

Posted by: magicrocks ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 12:47AM

I was in the Philippines from '99-'01. We wore white short-sleeve shirts, slacks, and good walking shoes. We only wore sandals on P-Days, and any other time that we didn't have our shoes on- including the shower (going barefoot in the Philippines is a sure fire way to pick up a foot disease, even in your own home).

Loved it there, but wish that I wasn't so strict about following mission rules. I could have had a lot more fun, and offended fewer people.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 11:54AM

Not all missions wear suits and for good reason.One area is in the mountains and it's too cold. Ski or hiking wear and good boots are general attire.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2015 02:17PM by SusieQ#1.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.