Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Thoughts ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 02:23PM

Does anyone ever get scared that the church may be true?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 02:25PM

Nope.
Because it can't be. The falsity of many of its truth claims is clearly and concisely shown by massive amounts of evidence.

Posted by: justarelative ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 02:26PM

Only Mormons who are considering an exit. As for us never-Mormons, we've never given it the slightest thought. Outside looking in makes a huge difference.

JAR

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 02:28PM

It is true. The buildings are true, and the occupants of the buildings are truly deceived. It's all true.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 02:35PM

Not at all, although before I had all the facts it was a little scary.

The safest bet in town is that the church is not true. It's not true because it can't be true. There can be a God. There can be a Jesus. There can even be UFOs and Bigfoot. But the church can't be true because reality and truth don't allow it.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 02:40PM

I think we need to determine what kind of truth we are dealing with. There are many different types of truth.
In the case of religious claims, it's subjective truth. It's truth that deals with visions, metaphysical and supernatural claims. Those are about believing in someone else's experiences as their "truth."
Religion is not about factual truths that are proved by evidences. They are truths held by faith.

It is quite easy to disabuse any notion of ancient records or translations as they have no factual evidence that will stand up to scrutiny.

We can believe almost anything by faith. And we are free to do so. Humans tend to easily gravitate to a deity, savior etc. that teaches love, for instance. It's a place of comfort -- emotionally.

"The Power of Myth" by Joseph Campbell is a very good book that puts religious mythology in the Big Picture as a part of the human experience throughout human history.

I have concluded that I want to place my faith in verifiable evidence that stands up to scrutiny. Sometimes, my lack of knowledge requires that I stick with a good dose of faith. I'm not sure I understand how the earth stays in it's orbit, but I'll accept the scientific evidence, and place my faith in that system.

When thinking about how religions work within humanity it became clear to me that deities/saviors, etc. are the creation of humans and their imagination and how they try to understand their world around them and find comfort in it. Religions are here to stay in some form. Humans need them. They are the framework of most societies.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 02:41PM

Once the mental shelf came crashing down in 2004, there never has been a second that the church has appeared even remotely true.

Not a second.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 02:44PM

I did for a long time and that's what kept me going. I wish I would have had the courage to study for myself when I first start realizing that things weren't right. I would have saved myself immense amounts of guilt and anxiety.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 02:45PM

If it's all true or semi-true my God will let me back in the house (heaven). Like the best parent you can imagine... That's my God.

It is so easy to see how fake Mormonism is when you begin to study it with a critical eye. Not wanting it to be true. Not wanting it to be false. Just a critical eye.

To all you TBM's out there the Mormon Church is not what it claims. May be some good things. There are some bad things. However if it is not what it claims to be then you are wasting your time.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 02:48PM

As a nevermo, I started snickering at, "The angel took the golden plates away." Um, yeah.

Beyond that, Joseph Smith's poor character is all I need to know. He is simply not believable. I have higher standards than to follow someone like that.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 05:06PM

I'm pretty sure he was lying about the angel, but angels have their place. In fact, modern science was started by an angel (the Angel of Truth) that appeared to Rene Descartes in his sleep. See http://www.shkaminski.com/Classes/Readings/Roszak10.htm

It's likely that Joseph knew of this and ripped it off too.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 06:44PM

I don't have a problem with angels. Just the fact that the golden plates conveniently went missing. ;)

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 02:49PM

Nope. If there was even the slightest possibility, I might still be an active, tithe-paying member. There's simply no chance. The BoM is verifiable fiction, the BoA is not what they claim, the priesthood restoration story was made up after the fact, etc...

I wanted it to be true for a while. I studied and prayed, studied and prayed, etc... The church is condemned by the facts AND by Joe's/Moroni's failed promise.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 03:02PM

If Joseph weren't such a fraud exposed, I might wonder. It's just fraud after fraud after fraud after fraud.

What's left?

Nothing.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 03:09PM

No. There is no way in hell that the Book of Mormon is true, therefore the church cannot true.

Posted by: europa ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 03:16PM

Not once I read all the evidence.

The motive for mormonism is money. The top leaders benefit from the slave labours of the minions. All those expensive buildings while members pay tithing and go without what they need because church won't help them.

That's the whole reason for its existence. It's got nothing to do with saving the human race.

The church stands a snowball's chance in hell of being true.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 03:52PM

You mean like there's actually a Celestial Kingdom where once you get past Joseph at the velvet rope you have to give the secret passwords and handshakes in order to prove that you paid enough money to get there?

That isn't scary that' terrifying. But also too ridiculous to be either.

I had a few of those 'stabbing pains' in the form of "what if" just after I realized the church was a lie. For me it was because I knew none of the facts, or as some call it "anti material." Getting all the facts later made those "what if" moments stop--and they usually lasted one second before my reasonable brain put a stop to them.

They go away as you live a normal life and the brainwashing fades to black.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2015 03:54PM by blueorchid.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 03:59PM

No.

Why?

Because FAIR. Because FARMS. Because Daniel Peterson. Because Michael Ash. Because Brian Hales and so on and so on.

Therefore it is an impossibility that the church is "true".

Posted by: jefecito ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 04:10PM

I now fear that mormon leaders will one day radicalize their members.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 12:43AM

I think they are well along this road.

Once you being to hide from one truth, wouldn't it be easier to hide from any inconvenient truth?

There are many in whom the spirit of the Danite doesn't need much in the way of a match to be ignited.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 04:13PM

About as scared as I get thinking that the boogey man is true and might leap from beneath my bed and get me while I sleep!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 04:46PM

I believe the boogey man is more real.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 04:21PM

Big decisions cause a lot of anxiety for some of us. The anxiety will pass.

The best way to be sure of your decision is to study. The more you read from objective, non church controlled sources, the sooner you will see what really happened. Their is a vast amount of detail that adds up to only one conclusion.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 06:12PM

Scared that the church is true. That sentence says a lot. About how it's a cult of fear and force. If it was good you'd expect people to rejoice at the possibility that it might be true.

Posted by: cytokine ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 06:23PM

Even if it was true, the god of the Book of Mormon is so immoral I would have an obligation to oppose him.

But thankfully, there is no deity in the sky who committed the genocides described in 3rd Nephi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2015 06:23PM by cytokine.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 06:42PM

The church cannot possibly be true because there is so much evidence against it. So it does not scare me at all.

Now I suppose there could be this big conspiracy kind of thing to make the church look false when actually it is true. Let us suppose that God is evil and cruel. Or alternately, let us suppose that God is weak, but Satan is all-powerful. Either way, one of these two evil entities could spend great effort arranging the world so that everything hides the existence of God and Satan and makes it seem like the church is not true.

Suppose the Bible is true and the earth is only 6000 years old. So how can the evil deity get around this and make the world look really old? There are quite a few ways. Plant dinosaur bones that appear to be millions of years old. Have geological features like the Grand Canyon that could not have formed by the action of water in only 6000 years. Create bristlecone pines with 8,000 years of tree rings so that they appear to be older than the earth. Create stars so far away that light cannot reach the earth in 6000 years and also create the light in between so it looks like light has been traveling for more than 6000 years.

Pretty wild conspiracy theory, but if you look hard enough, you can find a sucker who will believe practically anything.

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 07:17PM

No.

It's very scary at first, thinking of all the threats that 'might' happen if you don't follow 'all' the true-blue rules, but once you awaken to the fact that the rules are man-made, the fear dissolves.

Threats are a tool of the weak, not a tool of a god.

It's too ridiculous.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 11:20PM

Oh no way.... Its just such a pile of crap that the more

you dig into it, the more crap you find. The longer I've

been out the more I feel like the church is such a giant

toxic joke that it is criminal that the church is still

acting like its true, and still trying to convince people

that it is. It just sounds to me as if you are still feeling

a tiny bit guilty. DON'T... its not worth it.... those

feelings you have will go away and after a while you will

feel so angry at the church that you will never feel guilty

or have doubts again. Joseph Smith was such a con man .

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 11:21PM

is magic real ?

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 11:34PM

Do your homework, and you will not doubt.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 11:42PM

No....not for a second. I don't care if it is or isn't.

Ron Burr

Posted by: cpete ( )
Date: May 29, 2015 12:55AM

No. True is ambiguous, It has no meaning for cojcolds.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.