Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hello ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 02:41AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mette-ivie-harrison/do-mormons-believe-in-mag_b_7535504.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

More limited hang out inoculations for the sheeple of Moism, that neatly sidesteps Joe's addiction to all things magical to present a "new" kind of Mormon religion. It's all about science! Who knew?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ladedah ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 03:39AM

She qualifies as an apostate right there. Mormonism isn't right for everyone? God can't heal broken bones with prayer? Oops. I smell a smart person with cognitive dissonance trying to make the church into what she wishes it would be. I was her once.

Posted by: ragnar ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 03:58AM

I saw this as a comedy piece, and was quite surprised when it appeared that she was actually SERIOUS!

Here's her punch-line: "In many ways, I consider Mormonism to be the most "scientific" of religions."

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 08:00AM

I about spit out my drink when I read that. Ridiculous.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 08:17AM

I stopped reading the article when I saw this statement.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 08:47AM

To a lot of people, "science" means "offers explanations," less matter about truth or falsifiability.

And to be fair, that usage is kindasorta correct. Formal use of the scientific method is relatively new, in the grand scheme of things.

See also "Christian Science."

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 04:59AM

All that article is going to do is confuse non-Mormons who read it. Mormonism is confusing. Trying to explain it is a bad idea. TBM's make it work for them by not thinking about it too much. Outsiders who read this are just going to say "WTF?!?!?"

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 05:00AM

An alleged resurrected ancient American appeared to Joseph Smith and showed him where an ancient record written on gold plates was buried. Joseph had to wait before he could get it out of the ground. While waiting he used a rock in a hat to pretend to see where buried treasure was to be found. He got himself arrested in 1826 for that hat trick.

Finally the ancient American supposedly allowed him to take the plates out of the ground. Joseph used the same rock that got him arrested to translate the record of ancient America. Words appeared on the rock inside his hat and he read them out for his assistant to write down. LDS history calls that "by the gift and power of God" instead of magic, but a fraud is still a fraud.

"In many ways, I consider Mormonism to be the most "scientific" of religions." Professor Mette Ivie Harrison should explain why there is zero scientific evidence to support the Book of Mormon's claims about ancient America and why a magic rock inside a hat was the method to translate it.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 05:19AM

OMG, are we getting this kind of drivel every week now?

I found the article painful to read. The semi-deep high school philosophizing, her total lack of scholarly and scientific understanding of the subject she is discussing, the cognitive dissonance - she is one troubled soul.

The relationship between magic and religion is one of the most studied phenomena in the sociology of religion. It directly ties into her other subjects, prayer and the nature of God. But she seems totally oblivious and, what's worse, she either isn't aware of it or she doesn't care. She should adhere to her own rule 9 of being a bad writer:

"9. They write with bad information"

"Sometimes even if you aren't an expert in a field, you can tell that the author is just making things up. Authors make stuff up all the time. It's what they do. But they have to make up the right stuff. They can't sound like idiots."

Mentioning David Hume probably feels very intellectual to her but to me it indicates she probably never made it past Philosophy 101. In her bio, I read she writes novels for high school girls. Figures...

ETA: I edited out a nasty remark I made; my apologies to anyone who read it.

BTW, anyone remember that scene in Groundhog Day where Andy MacDowell tells Bill Murray she studied 19th century French poetry and he laughs out loud? That's what she reminds me of:

https://youtu.be/zVeJ5F26uiM

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2015 05:37AM by rt.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 06:09PM

rt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OMG, are we getting this kind of drivel every week
> now?

Yeah, Mo related apologetics are appearing on these two sites with quick regularity, and I can't help but suspect the desperate hand of Mo PR guiding the crap storm.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 09:30AM

Whomever is asking for, or allowing, these 'essays' by Sister Harrison either doesn't like her, or doesn't like mormonism. Or both...

Posted by: korihorwasright ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 09:51AM

Wait so she's a Mormon Evolutionist???

Posted by: kj ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 10:44AM

She lives in Utah.............has TBM family. And wrote "The Bishop's Wife". Her readers are mostly mormon.

I'd say Mette is a doubting but entrenched Mormon.

My heart goes out to her....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.