Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 12:25PM

...on the elderly.

Elder Brother 1:
" Last week started off fine but right after emailing last week it got very interesting.
So after i emailed we went back to the apartments and changed to do some p-day activity. Then well we were waking to go to the other elders apartment i saw a baby bird and wanted to take a picture of the bird. When I put the camera right up to it to birds flew right at my head. It was so close to me and almost got nailed by the birds. I would not recommend doing that...
I do not know why i put that it i just thought it was a very interesting moment

MY APARTMENT(Elders can't keep a good apartment except me)
Last monday I became a plumber.

The sink was not draining right so i got a hanger and a bucket. Then i put the bucket under the sink and took all the pipes off. guess what i found...
I Found about 2 feet long of sludge that looked like a black burrito. I was gagging the whole time i was doing it. then i showed the stuff to my companion, at that point he almost throw up. I can tell you this that over a few years of having a bunch of guys in an apartment is not good for the plumbing. Then i proceeded to the shower which was also draining poorly. i stuck the hanger in and tried my best to get stuff out. luckily there was not the much stuff in there but a lot of plastic wrappers from who know were. I do not know if i should a used a hanger but that is all that i had to work with.
BINGO TIME!
Every Wednesday we go over to the older folks home and play bingo with them. It is for older people to live and or recover from sicknesses. It looks like on the other hand was a mental institute inside. There are a bunch of old people in wheel chairs all along the walls just sitting there looking have died or mumbling to themselves. I sat by this older man and tried to help him play bingo. which he really did not want to be there. This man won bingo once and he got a big amount of 25 cents. We did get to talk to our investigator that works there.
This last week we did a lot of service with non-members which was very cool. They were not that interested in the gospel but we shared with them what we believed and they really liked it. We had some very good lessons with are investigators this last week. One lesson that we had was with this 90 something year old that was referred to us by his sister. He is a little hard of hearing and he kept going on tangents about random stuff but it went good. We are going to see him this week. The Family which we have on date for the 4 of july are out of town so we have not taught them. we did text them and they are doing great. There extended family is very supportive about it.
WE did get the ipads not very sure how to use it at all. The only thing i like about it is that we can search things on Gospel library and read alot more things. Other then that everything is going great. we have some people planed to go visit this week. are teaching pool is not that big but we do have some great investigators calling us wanting us to come over. Also the ward is great. Members are asking us if they could go on team up. so cool. This area is cool alot of fun and very nice people for the most part."
"

Elder Brother 2:
"Dear Friends and family,
I'm sorry that I was not able to write to you yesterday but we did not have power here. This past week has been slow in moving the work forward, do to the rain.
Some parts of our area are in the bush and in the rain it makes it a constant struggle for us. Some of these places we can not go to in the rain so we find others. Also next to our apartment we have to walk through a river so I started wearing my keen sandals so my shoes not get ruined. On Tuesday of last week we did not leave the apartment because as I finished my training it started to rain and we stayed in side. No one is out in the rain and most of the time we do all our teaching out side, so you can see the problem. By the way I learned how to play phase 10 well we were stuck inside.
This past Monday it was raining but we had to go to a family home evening so we got some big black trash liners and cut holes in them and put them over our clothes.
This week has been hard for us and for the other elders in our district to go out and to proselyte, but we are working through the rain. As I type it is raining right now. But that's the life of a missionary.
This week I'm going on exchanges with the zone Leaders, so that's going to be fun.
That's about all that I can share at this time. But always remember that if you have love and faith in something never let it go and that's my goal in this life to never let the fulness of the everlasting gospel go.
I Love you all and hope you have a great week, "

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 12:44PM

Is Elder 2 a foreigner? He can't make a coherent sentence.

Date: June 11, 2015 12:45PM

Utah boys.

Date: June 11, 2015 12:49PM

Must be rural Utah. Born and raised in the bubble of Utah and have a pretty decent concept of the English language and grammar skills. It hurt my head reading Elder number 2's letter.

Date: June 11, 2015 12:53PM

Ah, the things I could say about these kids. But I can tell you Utah County and not rural at all....

Date: June 11, 2015 02:14PM

Not going to impress an investigator with those language skills, that is for sure.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 01:11PM

Maybe they should start teaching English to the missionaries at the MTC too...

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 01:16PM

and just to see what his posts were like compared to ones I see here, I read last week's post on fb. Perfect grammar, perfect punctuation. From little old Hyrum, Utah.

I think it just all depends. I've "heard" that doing a lot of reading helps. I don't think texting, etc., helps much at all.

I just feel sorry for your nephews. Every time I see a missionary around here, I want to do what Susie does and stop and give them $20, but I'm kind of shy . . . maybe next time.

Date: June 11, 2015 01:28PM

These boys I suspect might have some learning difficulties. I don't presume to know but when I lived in Utah they were little and little hellions and didn't appear to be disciplined much. They had language problems at the time.

Also there mother comes from rural Idaho and at a few family functions we were invited to where her family attended I remember her brother actually wrestling in a polyester suit his own sons on my brother's living room floor.

Maybe the male roll models in their lives weren't the best. Their father on the other hand is one of the most effeminate men you could meet, doesn't do physical male stuff, and probably couldn't identify with these of his kids much at all.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 01:17PM

I notice that on my Facebook page or whatever it's called, I have several relatives from Utah county, and farther south, and some into Mormon Idaho.

Many of them use the very worst examples of grammar, spelling, punctuation, usually while sharing the latest of their right wing views.

I just have to ignore most of it

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.