Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 03:57PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 04:00PM

Hey ask this Angela and this is my answer.

Go for at least for champaign toast (both alcohol and non)
And perhaps a glass of wine for each people who may want one.

There is no intrinsic evil in alcohol.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 04:02PM

bottom line is if they chose to have the reception at the TBM parents house, no they should not.

They should have chosen another venue if they were going to serve alcohol.

The biggest problem, however, is how bad Deseret News censors comments. I find it appalling how they refuse to let people on share their point of view as a comment.

Posted by: whywait ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 11:05AM

Kind of like some message boards delete (censor) comments?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 04:10PM

Many venues won't allow alcohol. Not just the LDS Church. Not everyone is going to go to an event that has alcohol for a variety of reasons. One has to do with their religion yes, another has to do with where they are in their Alcoholism treatment if that is what they are doing.

You'll know up front when you choose your venue if you can serve alcohol. If you want to serve it, find a venue that allows it.

If you want to keep it under control, have a toast with a choice of an alcoholic drink or not. That's often done.
You can have a punch bowl labeled alcoholic drink. Some people don't want to do that as they know there will be certain people that will get stupid drunk and they don't want that at their reception.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 04:18PM

I'm amused by Angela's wording her response in such a way that the nonmember family sounds like alcoholics--"you having a contented evening is more important to them than not being able to drink for one night"--because, you know, every other night: raging bender!

It's like that scene in Burn After Reading. "F*** you, Peck, you're a Mormon. Compared to you we ALL have a drinking problem!"

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 05:32PM

Thank you. Typical Mormons think everyone who drinks is a raging alchohic who can't go without it for a second.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 05:44PM

Exactly. Mormons do have this idea that non-Mormons who drink once are raging alcoholics, or that non-Mormons aren't able to enjoy themselves without alcohol. This is the reason why I won't drink anything alcoholic around TBM's, as I'm showing them that non-Mormons can have a nice time without booze.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 04:26PM

This is just a half baked made up fairy tail question by mormon owned Ders-no-news.

A better question would be "what if the bride and groom are non-mormon but one set of parents are mormon"?

Or better yet--how do I handle a wedding toast with both alcohol and martinelli's? Should the guests poor their own? Should I put a bottle of each at each table?

Okay Angela--why don't you answer some real life questions?

Posted by: The Navidson REcord ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 05:27PM

I would just make sure the guests know ahead of time that there will be no alchohol. That way, if some people want to, they can bring their flasks.

It's not that I can't have fun without alcohol. It's that I just feel so bored and anxious and on edge at dry weddings. Really, any social gathering that is so formal. If I am going to be around a bunch of people I don't know well, I am going to bring my flask. Sorry. I am a better person if I can sneak in a sip or whiskey here and there. I still don't care how these people are doing ,what they are up to, what they do for a living...but if I have some booze in me I can be a little more convincing.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: June 12, 2015 10:53AM

I am not above putting a cooler full of beer in the trunk of the car. ;>)

Posted by: BFP ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 05:39PM

"sparkling cider and fun drinking glasses"

She's playing with fire here. Fun drinking glasses are a gateway to hell in a hand basket.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 05:50PM

I would say it's completely up to the bride and groom, and in this case her parents since the reception is being held at their home.

The question she *should* have asked is how they can better accommodate the feelings of parents excluded from their own child's wedding. And no, a ring ceremony doesn't cut it.

Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: June 11, 2015 09:39PM

Don't serve alcohol--it's too expensive!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.