Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slimchance ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 09:54AM

I just had a great weekend with old friends - many whom I hadn't seen in a long time. We all grew up in the same town; went on missions and got married in the temple; left to pursue educations, careers, and raise families; then realized through reading and study that the church is a sham; and finally had a chance to get together and share our experiences.

We have been judged by our Mormon families and friends to be foolish, lost, sinners who have been tricked by the devil. They think we influenced each other and left the church for social acceptance. The funny thing is that for the most part we lost contact with each other, discovered on our own that TSCC is a sham, and finally had the time to reconnect with each other because we no longer had the church consuming all our time and energy.

We were quite the impressive group. As I looked around I saw faithfully married couples. I saw parents of smart, talented children. I saw gay friends who decided not to hide who they are. I saw successful business owners, a civil engineer, a brain surgeon, a college administrator, a social worker, and more. But more than anything I saw a group people who are exactly what the church says you can't be without it. I saw a group of TRULY HAPPY PEOPLE!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 10:01AM

Sounds like a great group. The majority of my old lds friends are still livin the dream (nightmare!). However, I do enjoy those moments of delight when I encounter someone who has found their way out.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 10:10AM

It would be interesting to hear each friend's story, and how you all ended up getting together. That must have been an amazing weekend!

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 02:49PM

"But more than anything I saw a group people who are exactly what the church says you can't be without it. I saw a group of TRULY HAPPY PEOPLE!"

This puts a smile on my face because it is so true. The lds church brainwashes you into believing that there is no happiness outside the 'gospel'. Cheers to happy apostates!!!!

D =)

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 03:11PM

"We have been judged by our Mormon families and friends to be foolish, lost, sinners who have been tricked by the devil."

This is my experience too...

One of the things that gets me about this position is that if I am being tricked by Satan, isn't the entire world being tricked by Satan?

I am not an apostate. I have concrete belief in divinity. It just doesn't have anything to do with Mormonism.

Posted by: slimchance ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 03:28PM

I want to add that I don't think leaving the church is easy or painless. I'm very fortunate that my wife and I left together and our kids were young enough not to be indoctrinated. For those of you who are still suffering because of the church my heart goes out to you. I just shared my story today to give people hope.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 03:36PM

that you'll never be happy or successful without them.

The truth is that THEY are the ones holding you back. And they need you MUCH more than you need them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.