Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 08:51PM

Sometimes I find myself questioning whether or not it was worth it for me to serve a mission. Granted I only served for 13 months, still 13 months is a significant period of time. One reason I hear on why it is worth it to serve a mission is the learning of valuable skills and experience. However, I think that these skills are also readily learned and acquired through going off to college or holding down a job. However, there is one thing the mission did for me that I dont think anything else would have done quite as thoroughly. I became a missionary for myself… in leading myself away from the church.

A lot of people would look at my life and assume it was my sexuality that led me away from the church. There is a tendency for mormons to think that because of the extreme demands of the church on gay people (Pretend to be straight or live a life of loneliness) that most gay people are more likely to just “give up” rather than stick with mormonism. 19 year old me was not typical of this.

At 19 I had already realized I was gay and thought it to myself freely. I hadnt told anyone else but I knew I was gay.I was also devout mormon. I had promised to myself I would choose celibacy out of devotion. I wanted to live this life alone in order to be with god in heaven. It was a choice I felt strongly about and heading into a mission was only a natural outcome of my beliefs. There was a slight hope in me that perhaps I would “become straight” as I served, but it wasn’t the dominating thought in my mind. I knew that homosexuality was a part of me.

What I am trying to say is that my sexuality was not a deciding factor in my leaving mormonism. But what followed on my mission was, and Im not sure my mind would have “woken up” quite the same way had I not served.

On the mission you are inundated with thousands of rules. Not only are you told repeatedly to be obedient to these rules, but these rules are elevated to the status of commandments. They are your special way of life as a missionary and are so given extreme importance. They are treated sacredly.

My issue early on was that the rules are mostly vapid, concentrated on appearance, and ultimately very shallow in nature.

A missionary who wakes up at 6:35 AM is deemed a sinner, while a missionary awake at 6:30AM is a saint.

Males must shave every day, even if their facial hair barely shows.

The suit, tie, shirt, nametag, must be worn every day.

Scheduling is another sacred duty of missionaries.

None of these things are sacred to me. What one culture deems appropriate may be taboo for another, and to me the whole point of god and religion was to transcend what carnal man thought and believed naturally… yet so much of the focus of missionaries was to submit into the very carnal ideals of western culture.

A groomed person is a clean person.
Personal study for precisely one hour was all you needed.
Exercise in the morning is the only time to do it.
Television, media, creative outlets unrelated to god would only distract..

Every day I thought to myself Why does God care about these minute things? does he? Or is it just the church that cares? If its just the church why do I submit?

Another problem is that in the church there is a ready made script for almost anything. Very quick yet totally non succinct answers were given to me for all my questions. All our door approaches were scripted. All our lessons were scripted. Life was a script.

Obedience is the first law in heaven.
Obedience brings blessing, yet exact obedience brings miracles.

Almost everything is answered with a cliche and for me, someone willing to sacrifice one of the most fulfilling things a human can experience, love, it all felt absurdly shallow.

I was surrounded by fakes. By scripts. The shallow end of the pool was so crowded and no one dared venture over to the deep end.

My mission gave me the nerve to swim over to the deep end where the answers were and the cliches werent.

When I realized that mormons are allowed to question but not allowed to question the answers they got, it was a big breaking point.

Was I really going to give up the idea of love just because some shallow 80 plus year old man never dared to ask himself: Is homosexuality really bad?

If they cant even be bothered to question the idea that a white shirt must always be worn by a priesthood holder in service, (as if the color of my attire holds some time tested, eternal significant relevance) should I trust these same people with deep and meaningful questions of my life?

There was absolutely nothing about me that ever questioned authority prior to my mission. I was the model student who did everything exactly as directed… but in my 12th month of missionary service I finally had enough and plunged down the rabbit hole.

Everything became suspect.
I came home the next month, head spinning. Dealing with a lot of personal and emotional struggles. For another year I remained an active, calling-holding, tithe-paying, mormon.

A whole year. I didnt want people to think I had left because I couldn’t do it, or because I just wanted to sin. I gave this church my honest best and it failed me, not the other way around.

It failed to give me answers rather than cliches.
It failed to give me purpose.
It failed to calm my broken heart.
It failed to include me.
It failed to be there for me.
It failed to not kick me while I was already down.
It failed.

Yet very often in some circles I get the blame of failure.
Mormons see me, and they see failure. Because the ready made scripts dont apply to me.

They dont see the person who is happier since leaving. Who is learning about life. Who is trying to do good. Who is trying to move on.

They see someone who “gave up” to “carnal desires”
They are so preoccupied with the surface and the shallow end of the pool. Scared of drowning that they cant see me for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2015 09:02PM by nonsequiter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 09:00PM

Yes! They won't even LOOK towards the deep end of the pool, or acknowledge that there is a deep end!

Date: June 23, 2015 09:04PM

scared of drowning because they are told they cant swim.

Posted by: It was too much. ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 09:18PM

sense. It ties a person up in knots.

I recall an extensive list of personal perfection items delivered over the pulpit: a good 10, at least.

Then in Sunday school we received another list of items: a good 3 of these.

Then in RS we received another list sisterly advice with additional requirements in order to become perfect wives and mothers: a good 5 of these to add to the personal perfection list.

By the time I got home, I was exhausted and felt inadequate because I knew I was never going to measure up to the endless list of requirements.

I wasn't good enough, saintly enough, didn't pay up enough, didn't hold high-level callings, didn't keep a journal, didn't raise a vegetable garden, didn't read scriptures daily, hadn't read the Book of Mormon all the way through, hadn't spoken in Sacrament meeting in 3 years, hadn't gone to the temple regularly, hadn't worked in the cannery, didn't have a boat-load of children.... I felt clobbered.

One day, I realized that NO ONE would be able to measure up and perform all that was required of them including the bishop with his squinty, beady eyes. Also, I realized that none of the above (short of reading scriptures) was Godly. He didn't care that I didn't have a boat load of children.

I wrote a letter, attached my temple recommend to it, tossed it under the BP's door and left.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 09:29PM

nonsequiter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Almost everything is answered with a cliche and
> for me, someone willing to sacrifice one of the
> most fulfilling things a human can experience,
> love, it all felt absurdly shallow.

That's one of the best descriptions of a mission (and mormonism) I've ever heard.

Thanks for sharing, ns. :)

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 09:48PM

Gaah! I hate these posts!

Why was I happy with fucking cliches?
Why was I happy with the same stupid answers to real questions?

Why didn't I figure it out earlier?

Ok, I don't hate the posts, I'm just really jealous. ;o)

Date: June 24, 2015 04:01AM

I think I was just lucky.

But hey, at least you did figure it out.

I hear some people have to reach apostleship before they realize the shit theyre in.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 02:36AM

Thanks for sharing this heartfelt thread. Also, for the sincere posts that were shared.

As a Mom, I have felt much grief over the fact that three of my children went on missions. The path my husband and I took raising them did not prevent them going, even though we tried hard to change their course. I truly detest the Mormon youth missionary system, so when I hear that sometimes returned missionaries actually leave after serving, it helps me have hope.

The cliches of Mormonism and its demands of perfectionism, obedience above everything, and stealing so much precious time from good people tears me into pieces. As was so beautiful said, it does make 'love' very hard to find.

Date: June 24, 2015 03:59AM

One of my fellow missionary buddies has left too. Another still goes but doesn;t believe. Another confessed to me he doesn't believe, but he remains staunchly devout.

Most, however, as far as I know, are more thoroughly entrenched because of missions.

Wherever it is your kids fall... they are blessed. Not because of god, or religion, or missions, but because they have a wonderful mother who loves them regardless. You are their blessing.

And that means more than anything else.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.