Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 07:08AM

My niece is an emotionally fragile 20-year-old, in addition to having a rather severe case of colitis.

My mother-in-law looked over her shoulder as she was typing something relatively benign (a communication with a TV personality she marginally knows). My mother-in-law, who has been known to be unkind on occasion, usually takes her wrath out on my wife, but cannot right now because my wife is quite pregnant but early enough that we really don't want her delivering just yet. So my mother-in-law has to find other targets for her wrath. My niece was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

My niece had recorded a song because it had the tV personality in question's name in it, and the TV personality said he'd never heard the song. My niece was having no success in sending the file over twitter, so she asked the tV personality, whose cell # she already has, if she could send it to his email address. My mother-in-law saw this and went ballistic. I didn't hear it, but my nanny says my mother-in-law accused my niece of being a stalker, an attempted home-wrecker, and having too lousy a voice to be recording herself and sending it to someone. (My niece sang and played the piano on the recording.)

Another 20-year-old might have told my mother-in-law to f*** off, but my niece wouldn't do that. She closed herself in her bedroom at my house and became very upset. She decided to call a mental health hotline. The person who answered questioned her as to how imminent the threat was. My niece answered honestly that she didn't have a loaded gun and wasn't necessarily planning on taking a handful of pills because she'd only throw them up, which would accomplish nothing, but that she knew she could take an immodium a day for a week to ten days and it would kill her, which is true in her case.

The hotline operator said something to the effect of, "I need to keep this line open for people who might actually be suicidal" and hung up on my niece. My niece didn't tell anyone at the about the issue, and the nanny left before I got home. Within twelve hours my niece developed a major colon bleed-out and had to be transfused. If the worker had taken a few minutes to talk to her, maybe it would not have happened. Maybe it would have happened anyway.

My question is what kind of training the people who answer the phones on these hotlines receive.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2015 07:34AM by scmd.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: me ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 07:33AM

Call the hotline and make a complaint. You do know that colitis has a psychological component, don't you? She needs to get a divorce from here mother ASAP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2015 07:36AM by me.

Date: June 24, 2015 07:44AM

me Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Call the hotline and make a complaint. You do know
> that colitis has a psychological component, don't
> you? She needs to get a divorce from here mother
> ASAP.

It's my niece, and my mother-in-law is not her mother. She needs to get a divorce from my mother-in-law.

Thanks. I believe i will calll and complain to the hotline.

Date: June 24, 2015 10:23AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.