Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: seattle ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 07:48PM

My dog died today. I am profoundly sad and I am also uneasy.

If this would have happened when I was a devout member of the church, I would have felt sad but peaceful because I knew I would see my furbaby again.

I wish I knew that again like I used to. Ignorance was bliss. Wondering about the possibilities at a time like this sucks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 07:50PM

I'm so sorry. I know how much it hurts. BTW, you don't have to be religious to believe in an afterlife.

Posted by: ohdeargoodness ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 07:54PM

+1

I am a strong believer in the afterlife even though I'm not religious.

Posted by: ohdeargoodness ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 07:55PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. Pets can be so dear to us. They are so special, nuturing and comforting. I am glad that your pet was so beloved and I hope your heart heals well in time. *hugs*

Posted by: hopefulhusband(loggedout) ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 09:23PM

All dogs go to heaven! ;)

My heart goes out to you for your loss. All the best from a fellow animal lover....

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 07:51PM

I hurt for you.

:(

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 07:54PM

I understand the loss of a beloved pet. ***BIG HUGS***

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 07:58PM

I feel your pain.

What was the name of your pooch?

I sure my beloved Max will be there so they might play together while they patiently wait for us, by the Rainbow Bridge....

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.

-Author unknown

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 10:42PM

Thank you, Shummy...

:)

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 08:03PM

I hope you'll find some way to preserve the memory of your dog. You could get some pictures together, write down some funny episodes or peculiar habits, find some books about other people's beloved canine companions...

I'm pretty sure that any further contact with your dog will be limited or nonexistent until you die yourself. After that, who knows? This is a good opportunity to figure out what you believe and why you believe it.

Date: June 24, 2015 08:21PM

And I'm so sorry to read of your loss. Death is never easy.

I hope your dog wasn't in pain, but we can now guarantee a complete absence of pain.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 08:09PM

It seems I've had to post this way too often this year.
In memory of your departed bud, here it is again.
Sorry to hear about your loss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M5dz0K-rJg

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 08:26PM

I'm sorry. I've lost 3 dogs and a cat over the years, so I know how hard it can be.

Consider yourself hugged.

Other Susan

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 08:28PM

I am so sorry to hear this. I lost my very precious cat, Gigi on April 19th. She died of a sudden illness.

"If this would have happened when I was a devout member of the church, I would have felt sad but peaceful because I knew I would see my furbaby again." - I personally think you have a much better chance of seeing your puppy/doggy again NOT being in a cult!
How many CULT members have their animals sealed to them? Is it even possible?
You will see your furbaby again because you loved that dog and he/she loved you.

Date: June 24, 2015 08:29PM

Thanks for your loving and kind thoughts about losing our precious Cody. I think I just needed to tell my sad news to someone. It is so quiet around here. My daughter has been crying for several hours now so everyone is subdued. Thanks for the support. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. The world feels so different without him. A hard adjustment. Loved the song. Thanks.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 08:35PM

Seattle, i do know how you feel. Im so sorry for your loss. (((((Seattle))))

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 08:42PM

I'm so sorry. I know the pain and loss all too well.

My Ruby The Diva Dachshund and Reggie The StalkerDog™ are always in my heart.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 09:17PM

Seattle,

I am so very sorry. Our four-legged family members are extra-special in a way that many humans can never be.

HUGS. Be kind to yourself.

Posted by: Margie ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 09:30PM

I am so sorry for your loss. I have been beside myself with grief after my doggies died.

Maybe later, you might find this old Twilight Zone episode somewhat comforting. It is "The Hunt". It is about a man and his dog and what heaven really is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Xw9MVBQvA

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 09:46PM

He was loved. Hopefully you will see him some day. How about doing something in his honor? Plant a tree, make a plaque with a poem about him, donate to your local humane society, take a bag of dog food...

The loss is so tough. Remember how he was always happy to see you, so much so that his tail wagged his whole body. He knew you loved him; take a small measure of comfort in knowing you gave him a great life.

(((Healing hugs for you and your family)))

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 09:49PM

Posted by: GodLedMeOut ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 10:30PM

My psych professor (head of mental-health hospital) said folks would lose their dog, then show up at the front counter with their suitcase.

The theft of our Japanese Chin, Mr. Peabody, put us into therapy for over a year. Finally, we agreed to hypnosis just to deal with him being gone.

I am so, so sorry. Can you tell us a little bit about him?

Posted by: GodLedMeOut ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 10:34PM

Shummy, your comments are so valuable to us, that if you ever leave us and head back to the morg, we will come hunting for you!

Posted by: txnevermo ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 10:47PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. We lost our 4 year old Great Dane to lymphoma almost a year ago. It was devastating. :( I still miss him every day, but time does take away the sting a bit. We added an Australian Shepherd puppy to our family a few months after his death. I hoped a new dog would ease the pain a little and it definitely did. The silliness of a puppy brought laughter back to our house. I know not everyone wants to get another dog, but it's at least something to consider.

Don't feel bad to let yourself grieve. It took me months to put away his things, and I still haven't been able to take down my "A spoiled rotten Great Dane lives here" sign. I'm sure my friends think I'm crazy. His collar sits on my bedside table and we have many pictures of him around. It makes me feel a little better. Hugs to you. RIP sweet Cody.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 10:59PM

>if you ever leave us and head back to the morg, we will come hunting for you!

So who's been spreading rumours?

You know I'd never find anyone there who could pay me the high honour such as I enjoy here.

Not a chance in hell.

And I ain't woofin.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 11:22PM

3 weeks ago tomorrow. I've been living in hell.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I still hold out hope--more so than I ever did as mormon. They never told me I'd be together with my dogs in the CK. When I lost my first dog as a believing member, I was beyond distraught.

I still have to have hope or what's the point--that I'll see my dogs again.

Someone posted this here some years ago:

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2015 11:25PM by cl2.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 11:37PM

I'm very sorry for you loss, cl2, as well.

Hugs. Be kind and gentle with yourself.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 05:44AM

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 11:28PM

I am sorry to hear about the lost of your fur-baby.

Posted by: darac ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 01:16AM

So very sorry. I understand what you're feeling; in my now long life I have cherished and lost eight dogs. Every one of them special, every one loved and still missed. If there is a heaven, our furbabies will be there because heaven is supposed to be perfect. And perfect has to include our pets.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 06:48AM

I am sad to hear about the loss of your dog. I love me doggies! It's very hard to lose them. They ask for nothing and just love your attention. I hope that you are doing okay, and wish you good luck with this. And when you're finally up to it, there is another homeless little dog somewhere out there that could use your love.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 08:14AM

Just because there's no Mormon Joseph Smith heaven, doesn't mean that there isn't another kind of Heaven. The Mormons don't own heaven, any more than they own God and Christ. Yeah, dog's can't get a Mormon temple recommend, or pay tithing. Have you seen the Robin Williams movie, "What Dreams May Come"? I believe that we make our own Heaven.

"In my father's house are many mansions." I believe this, and the Bible underscores this: "If it were not so, I would have told you."

Your dog is part of your "mansion" in Heaven. God loves us, and He knows what makes us happy. God made dogs in the first place.

If you believe in living "in the moment," then in this very moment your dog can be with you, as you remember him. My dog is by my side as I hike the trails we used to hike together. In my mind's eye, I can see her right now--regardless of whether or not I will see her in some future heaven. The same is true of my parents. Their love and devotion sustains me, and makes me happy that they shared their lives with me, and I just go ahead and allow myself to miss them, and cry, if I have to. But, mostly, I smile, and feel the Love, that will always be with me. The Love never goes away. God is Love.

I'm sorry for your loss. Sometimes your dog is with you more than any other being. My dog was never more than a few feet away from me, following me around the yard, or from room to room, and in the car on my errands. Her dog bed had to be touching my bed. She was the last face I saw at night, and the first face I saw every morning. Even a baby wants its independence from you, after 4 or 5 years, and they go off to school, and on with their lives. YOU are your dog's whole life. Be happy you had such perfect love.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 03:21PM

It is tough to lose a good dog. Sorry for you pain; I've been there.

Date: June 25, 2015 03:30PM

All you need is love,
All you need is love,
All you need is love,
Love is all you need.

Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 03:34PM

Oh, I am terribly sad for you. I have lost many dog friends and it hurts each time. Peace to your heart. I am not LDS any longer, but in my heart I feel I'll see my little munchkins again.

Date: June 26, 2015 12:07AM

Feeling a bit better today. The separation pain was so intense yesterday that it was truly difficult. Here's my dilemma; when I was Mormon, I found deaths much easier to bare, or is it bear in this case?

After I left the church I decided to go to 52 churches in 52 weeks. Leaving the church really rocked my foundation and since I was pretty sure that Jesus Christ was truly the savior, I focused my search on Christian churches. I was confident that the truth was out there.

What I discovered was that churches are all just businesses. No matter how sincere they come across it always comes down to money in the end. I came away from the experiment loathing all organized religion.

More importantly, as a result I don't take anyone's word on morality and death. If anyone tells me they know that there is life after death,i know they are lying. The reality is that no-one knows what happens next. I don't have hope or fear anymore, just curiosity. And curiosity is not comforting.

That's what I meant when I said I miss knowing for sure that all would be well and fair after death. I know it's naive, but I don't care. The separation was easier before my eyes were opened.

I can tell you this... If there is a heaven Cody will be there. He was one of the top ten personalities I ever met here on planet earth. A true gentleman.

We drank a toast to Cody tonight and that was healing.

Thanks for your kindness. I have read here for a few years and have learned a lot from you all. Thanks for reaching out on my awful day yesterday. I appreciated all of your thoughts and live. Big fan.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.