Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 03:00PM

I've been hearing this at work all day because of the SCOTUS decision. "The constitution is hanging by a thread and bla bla."

The only thing hang by a thread is my tolerance with mormon discrimination! I don't see how SSM interfere's with the church practicing marriage the way they want. Nobody is stopping temple marriages...

On the financial side; however, that's another story because the LD$ loves to discriminate, but then again that and money are the only things the Mormon leadership is interested in...

Hating other churches
Hating non-polygamists (Pre-1890)
Hating women
Hating blacks (Pre-1978)
Hating Bi-racial couples (Pre-1990's)
Hating GLBT
Hating GLBT marriage

Hating Blacks as Apostles and Prophets? (Forever)

What's next?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 03:12PM

That "Last Days" garbage has been spouted since 1830! It seems there is no end to the coming of the end.

Same thing with the "most special generation". My generation was called this. So was the generation before and the one following. Everyone in Mormonism is a "special generation". Now let's all sing in unison "WE ARE ALL SPECIAL, SPECIAL, SPECIAL". Gag me.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 03:30PM

Yep. Many of the early "saints" were nutjobs that liked to flail about, speak in "tongues" (gibberish), and were just interested in communal living until the second coming, which they thought was right around the corner.

Posted by: pickle ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 01:23PM

"The last days" has been spouted since the early Christians. Still waiting...

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 07:45PM

Christ's followers at His death thought He was coming back very soon. I guess He uses a different method of determining time than we do.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 03:16PM

A friend's older sister got told back in the early 60's in her PB that she'd "raise her children in the millennium. She died in the 80's....OHOH? WTF happened there???
The "end" will be like a hail storm....no idea when it's comin' and can't do a fucking thing about when it gets here.

Ron Burr

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 03:24PM

Bring em on I say!

And let me epitaph be inscribed some place on the tombstone of the very last prophet, seer and relative.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 03:30PM

I hope the Rapture comes and gets all of the Holier than thou bigots and takes them to Kolob or who cares where?

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 03:37PM

This!!!!!!!

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 03:39PM

The constitutional issue was really simple. The concept that some states could allow SSM and others not recognize the marriage flew in the face of the full faith and credit clause. Why people like Romney claimed they could support handling the matter on something less than a constitutional amendment to ban SSM was absurd. The result is now simple: SSM is and will be the law of the land. In another sense, a state law which provides for marriage which, by agreement of the parties, would not allow divorce or limit the grounds for divorce and expect ALL states to accept and enforce that contract on the ground of full faith and credit.

Posted by: greenAngel ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 08:45PM

EVERY generation thinks the next generation is going to hell in a handbasket.

hell, according to my old-as-hell grandmother, "Things in this country have been going down ever since they let darkies marry white people." She's STILL not over racial equality.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 08:47PM

That is Mormon-speak for "I don't like what's happening now".

When I was a kid, they cited the Cold War and rising crime rates as evidence of the last days. The USSR is gone and crime is on a 20 year decline, and yet somehow we are still on the path to Armageddon.

What is ironic is they deny the one thing that can kill us: anthropogenic global warming. It's not sin that will do us in, but fossil fuels.

Posted by: ProfitMonster ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 01:13PM

I've seen that on social media as well. It's ridiculous. But I've also seen people saying they're now moving to Canada...ignorant to the fact that SSM has been legal there for 10 years now!!! LOL Idiots.

Posted by: ipseego2 ( )
Date: June 29, 2015 08:52AM

ProfitMonster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've seen that on social media as well. It's
> ridiculous. But I've also seen people saying
> they're now moving to Canada...ignorant to the
> fact that SSM has been legal there for 10 years
> now!!! LOL Idiots.

Moving to Russia might be a better option, then. Has anybody suggested that?

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 01:30PM

Well, the recent Supreme Court ruling on marriage has certainly dazed the Mormons. But I’m sure it won’t be the last daze.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: June 29, 2015 11:53AM

"The last daze" ha ha ha

Are you and Don Bagley going to have a quip-off? I can't wait!

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 01:50PM

I always smile when I hear about the last days. The whole:
1) Saturday evening of time crap that use to go around in the 80's.
2) packer's chosen generation speech of how all the angels in heaven would be hushed, and bow down in our presence.
3) Don't forget the Saturday's Warrior frenzie and all those catchy songs!
4) McKonkie books being sold like hotcakes. Mormon D. was still church approved (more or less)
5) the oil embargo and how we were suppose to run out of gas by the year 2000. We were suppose to be using other energy by now!
6) inflation was horrible
7) the "big one" was suppose to come and decimate the Wasatch front. an Earthquake with rictor scale 10 was scheduled to happen. because there had never been a big earthquake before, or something like that?
8) and the Ruskies were suppose to send the nukes and kill everyone. Because they just hate america and freedom so dang much!

Posted by: Jack Rabbit ( )
Date: June 29, 2015 10:32AM

Don't forget killer bees.

Posted by: iknowthischurchisfalse ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 02:52PM

Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: June 29, 2015 10:55AM

++++

"Who ya going to call?"

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 02:57PM

LDS Inc. started in The Latter Days but one could argue that they have been successful because they have been preaching that our last days are upon us since before April, 6 1830.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 03:12PM

I gave up on the idea of the end coming soon when it did not happen in 1958. At that time it seemed likely to me. That being past a short time, I have no concern for it. I don't even think God knows as he is capable of changing it.

I remember when we had the great northeast blackout in around 1965 or so and I was not too concerned as I remember the famous day in the history of Connecticut when the sky went black at midday and some legislators in the state capitol were suggesting it was the end. Abraham Davenport from Stamford said they should bring in candles and continue with the legislative business on the basis that if it was the last day, it would be appropriate for them to be found doing what they were supposed to be doing and if it was not, they still should be doing their job. They brought in the candles. It was not the "Last Day".

Adding: The date was May 19, 1780. I'm sure even JS heard of it from his parents or grandparents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2015 03:17PM by rhgc.

Posted by: manimal ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 03:22PM

lol.

Not religious here, HOWEVER.. If SCOTUS rulings on SSM allow LGBT persons to FORCE churches to perform marriages, that is a serious blow to free speech and religious freedom.

Personally if it happens I hope turnabout becomes fair play, and a gay couple forces a Mosque to perform a gay wedding, just to make liberals' heads explode.

Date: June 28, 2015 03:27PM

Show me where religions have been forced to do anything.

I live in a country very very religion friendly and that was by design.

Posted by: manimal ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 03:33PM

Not aware of any church being forced to do it yet, but it's basically guaranteed that someone will try to do so after the latest SCOTUS ruling.

Especially after various successes of forcing private businesses to perform weddings or cater for LGBT couples.

I don't know if you live in the US but "religion friendly" is not how I would describe the developing political climate in the US.

Date: June 28, 2015 04:05PM

manimal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know if you live in the US but "religion
> friendly" is not how I would describe the
> developing political climate in the US.

I'm here in the good Ole U.S. of A.

Some religions like tests of strength of belief and others not so much. In my opinion, it is a balancing act for freer human societies to see how far their can promote the rights of the individual against the precedence of the greater society's will.

"Force a religion" and "Force an individual" both sound terrible. But I think I side with forcing religion than individual.

Religions have more than basic rights and if they think losing the ability to marry is something to throw themselves upon their swords for by all means.

There will be another religion in its place ready to marry them.

God (if it exists) Bless The U.S. of A.

Posted by: Elizabeth 44 ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 11:01PM

Churches aren't going to required to married same sex couples. They aren't required to marry just anybody who want to be married now. Look at the Mormon Temples; they are members in good standing only. churches operate under the separation of church and state, religious freedom. Bakeries and florists operate under a different part of the Constitution. If you sent yourself up in business, interstate/ state/ local laws are operative. You have to operate under the law, and some of those laws are non-discrimination based on...

Posted by: drunksailor ( )
Date: June 28, 2015 03:30PM

Aren't there church sponsored companies selling provisions for the last days.... More BS about food storage etc... It's all part of LD$ taking advantage of their dupes

Date: June 28, 2015 03:32PM

And pamper the isolationist ego's philosophy.

Posted by: iplayedjoe ( )
Date: June 29, 2015 12:39AM

Thus sayeth the Lord, stock up on your Ramen and water before September.

Blood moon tetrad - September
CERN - September
NATO on Russian Border
DUMB Tunnels
French Presidents Climate Chaos Speech - September
Jade Helm - September
Police Militarization
TPP
Elite leaving the USA
Agenda 21
Petrus Romanus To Address UN - September

I didn't just play a prophet, seer and revelator on TV.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 29, 2015 08:03AM

Life goes on...

Some need something, like a clock, and a prediction, and hope/ promises/ "security" and such, while others need nothing, and thereby have everything.

Life is how you see it and live it.

If somebody makes you think it's the last days- and so you live like it- it may keep you from living in reality, whatever that is at the time.

You may make irrational decisions based on inadequate and erroneous knowledge and information.

It's "the 'last days' ways"

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: June 29, 2015 09:20AM

You know. The wolf ate an awful lot of villagers after they quit listening to that kid.

Which is my way of saying, I have been hearing this end-time crap my entire life. I am now middle-aged and, as far as I can tell, things are exactly the same (in general).

The entire apocalypse is merely fearmongering designed to control people. To quote Public Enemy: Don't believe the hype!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 29, 2015 09:58AM

Whenever I see a thread about the last days being upon us, I always think:

What? Again ?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 29, 2015 10:19AM

The pioneer children talked
and talked
and talked
and talked...

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: June 29, 2015 10:51AM

My son received a letter from a good friend who was on a mission which begged him to repent because the last days were here and time was short.

My son wrote back that at the ripe old age of 22 he had all ready lived through at least 3 predictions of the end of the world and figured he would survive this one too.

His friend, BTW, is now exmo.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 29, 2015 10:56AM

I've been waiting for the end for a long time now. I heard so many things when I was young that led me to believe the end would happen when I was around 40. I'll be 58 this week. When 2000 hit, I actually sat on the sofa waiting for it to happen. My life was living hell at the time. I knew it wouldn't happen, but I sat there and counted down until midnight HOPING it would end.

I've heard this ALL MY LIFE. I'm sure in 20 years or so I'll die a natural death and the world will go on.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.