Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: crissykays ( )
Date: June 29, 2015 11:56AM

I am an exmo but I ran across this book this weekend and thought I'd graze through it for old time sake on saturday morning and it truly put me in a bad mood to realize I believed this BS for so long and wonder if ppl still refer to this book or if any of you ever hear of it anymore????

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: June 29, 2015 11:59AM

It was practically a mission text book back in the late '50's to early '60's. It was even translated into German.

But-I-don't-know-if-we-teach-that-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: June 29, 2015 12:13PM

I personally met with the author LeGrand Richards, a mormon apostle, on my mission on a couple of occasions in the early 1960s. His daughter lived in Texas where I served and he would always ask her to invite the missionaries over whenever he visited.

He was very kind and likable and I think he really believed what he wrote in his book. He was very proud to be related to early Mormon and close associate of Joseph Smith, Willard Richards. As far as Mormon leaders go, he was always one of my favorites. I don't recall having ever heard an unkind word spoken about him.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: June 29, 2015 12:13PM

Had to have it on my mission--required reading. It was harder to get through than the Book of Mormon. It was filled with wonderful and well-anchored references like, "I once heard a man say on Temple Square that..." But the nice thing about Richards was that he did not seem to be full of guile like the rest of them. Through his honesty he inadvertently blew the whole lid of nonsense off the 1978 "revelation," telling how it really happened. I think it must have been embarrassing for the Bruthrn.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: June 29, 2015 06:10PM

I had that book and it was one of the first LDS books I bought after my scriptures. I joined the church in 1966 in Texas and in 1970 I met Bro. Richards when he ordained me a seventy when there were seventies in every stake.

Templar when and where did you serve in Texas?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.