Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hopefulhusband ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 03:16PM

TBM's love to talk about how "blessed" they are for having a modern prophet of god on earth! When I wonder why, I'm generally told it's because they clarify and teach modern scripture.

I never get to hear what this modern scripture is....every GC talk I ever heard was a rehash of an earlier one. I never hear of revelations from the prophet....so what use is he?

So, I wonder: if God existed and called a modern spokesperson to lead people to a higher understanding of the things of heaven, what would he/she teach?

Love?
Kindness?
Helping others?
Look inward for the Kingdom of God?
Judge not?

We've heard all those lessons.

Am I too critical of the mormon prophet for rehashing past lessons? Would we expect to hear anything radically new (like the Jesus of the new testament ending the 10 commandments)?

Any thoughts on what a modern prophet would teach if (s)he was truly called to the work from a God who loved all of his children?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Erick ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 03:27PM

I honestly can't envision a scenario where an all knowing and all powerful being would build their defining work on the foundation of Prophets or Apostles. If it was pertinent to God for mankind to understand his will then Prophets are highly ineffective I think. Whatever the God equivalent of a personal mass-mailer would seem more practical. If God's purposes required mankind to maintain some dimension of uncertainty then prophets seem to countermand that.

The religious/Mormon proposition that God sent us to Earth to participate in a treasure-hunt for the one true religion, without telling us unanimously that he had entered us into this contest seems rather bizarre. The purpose of life is to find true religion, and yet so many people just end up driving a cab completely unaware that they were sent here explicitly to participate in the treasure-hunt, just strikes me as a strange motivation for a God that I am supposed to trust.

Posted by: ElderCarrion ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 03:49PM

that life is a most fascinating, repeated glory that steadily comes to each of us perfectly, one day at a time.

that opportunity seeks the bold, the strong and the wise.

that use of our unique individuality is imperative to the best life.

that love is the sole honor we possess.

that no one is any better than another until cruelty has worked deformity upon the vice of evil.

that helping another is the truest test of the heart.

that living true is easy, if we but ignore consequence.

that inspiration springs from within whenever we are exposed to the child, nature and the beauty called talent.

that security is secured by thought, planning and an absolute allegiance to what we desire most.

that to be remembered well is as vapor but to be imitated is the only human permanence.

that God fears us as we fear Him.

that God needs us as we need Him.

that God would that we STOPPED LIVING FOR REWARD, AND INSTEAD LIVED ONLY FOR THOSE YET TO BE BORN.

that conscience is our greatest treasure.

that tomorrow is something no one is truly worthy of, but that it is a gift that reveals our actual value, priorities and heart.

that the use of the mind is a duty shared equally with all.

that protecting, caring, sharing and wondering bring about peace and all that is most wondrous.

that death is our surest friend, bring rest, silence and deep reflection, which is the very lubricant of all things eternal.

that pain is wisdom.

that joy is fleeting.

that what you do for a child in need is perfection.

that striving is success.

and that you exist to shine upon others, for the sake of all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19zFlPah-o

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 06:06AM

I believe all these things and I believe you. Shoot, I can be a prophet, too. From now on I'll try harder and maybe I can be a real prophet.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 04:11PM

A true prophet may only teach these basic principles, but wouldn't he teach them to the world?...not just the 0.05% of the world's population that watch conference or pay attention to the Ensign? When he traveled around the world, wouldn't it be to teach those that hadn't yet been converted? Does God really need prophets just to go talk to missionaries and to create new stakes? Shouldn't he be speaking out about injustices, false gods and traditions, etc...? A prophet that only encourages the converted to live their religion seems useless. A prophet that could translate, receive revelations to resolve troubling issues, not resort to ear wiggling to impress the child-like faithful, etc...?...that might be useful.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 07:21PM

That global warming is occurring and mankind should work to limit it.

That family planning is important and that population growth must be curtailed.

That resources must be conserved or the future be be full of poverty and suffering.

That biodiversity lost can never be regained.

That warfare is uncivilized and often avoidable. If all the world were to unite against any aggressor nation, aggressive warfare would become most unprofitable and futile.

That people should receive equal rights and respect regardless of race, creed, gender, or sexual orientation.

That science trumps religion. If science tells one story and religion tells another, then the religious story needs to be discarded, rethought, and replaced.

That ancient scriptures are best viewed as allegories. Poetic stories to teach us about human nature, right and wrong, and other abstract philosophical things.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 08:47PM

It seems to me that a true prophet of a true, loving god would probably only be around to remind everyone to look up at the sky. Or wherever the true, loving god would have the sense to write his ideas out for people. So that everyone could read it and understand it, and know that it is true.

Of course, that loving god also would have made sure that everyone was born being able to read.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 08:59PM

He would teach that there's a new God in charge now because the old one got fired for incompetence and malpractice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2015 08:59PM by seekyr.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 09:01PM

The main problem with many churches is that they are money and power hungry, and their members' beliefs are easily subverted by political folk.

A real prophet would make it top priority that their church not accumulate money at all, and all leaders must publish monthly personal detailed financial statements.

Members would be encouraged to think critically about all political issues, with no position ever discussed at church.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 09:05PM

That we are each children of the soil with which we each must toil.

As opposed to futilely digging about therein in search of some imaginary unearthed treasure.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 09:17PM

Chemistry
Biology
Physics
Mathematics

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 04:17AM

1)What to do when you make good decisions and things still don't work out? or turn out badly?
2)What to do when your wife sleeps around on you?
3)What to do when your child gets abducted?
4)What to do when you can't seem to make enough money and are stuck on welfare, or in your mothers basement?
5)what to do if you are victim of assault or even sexual harassment?
6)What to do if your born gay?
7)What to do if your too sick or crazy to work or leave the house?
8)What to do if going to church is emotionally painful?
9)what to do if you've lost or fortune on a bad investment?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2015 04:21AM by poopstone.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.