Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 02:22PM

My amazing, creative (I'm not prejudiced) twin five year old grandchildren watched the movie Happy Feet for the first time inspiring them to imitate the tap dancing, create snow for the audience, draw smiling penquins on a poster, choose appropriate tap-dancing-music and turn everyday clothing into penquin costumes in their Penquin Play.

I was so glad I was there enjoying this event, even in 100+ weather as I was truly blown away at their creative ability and intelligence to put this show together. What a fun event!

But, where was the only grandpa who might attend? (The grandpa with me could not possibly make it, unless a real, true-blue miracle occurred in the way of a resurrection, but where was the breathing one?)

Home doing his bishop work. My heart ached because of his absence for the cute penguins wanting and expecting him to appear. Thinking of the grandpa, I wanted to, (like other brain-dead TBM's in my life), have some magic formula dazzle his eyes and brain into seeing what he was choosing to miss by spending so very much of his time and energy on a silly, stupid, scary fraud while missing adorable, frolicking penguins.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2015 02:24PM by presleynfactsrock.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: atouchscreendarkly ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 03:49PM

Reading this made me think of my kids at home, while I'm off at work late into the night. I so dearly wish I could be there to help, or even stand in awe as they grow up.

I can't imagine taking a free second job like Bishop instead of enjoying what little time I have. I'm so sorry he's missing that. I'm so sorry *I'm* missing my kids. How can it possibly be worth the sacrifice?! Even if it were true, can holding another meeting save a soul? Would the King of Heaven really demand those holiest of seconds with your grandkids as a sacrifice, when he should have power to speed you during non-penguin, mundane hours?

What the hell is the point?

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 03:57PM

Yep, it's all about families. We have the same situation in our family.

I am grandma to two adorable toddlers and I am as big a part of their lives as distance allows.

But to their TBM grandma they are just two of fifty or so grand kids and she barely knows their names. Her loss but I feel badly for the kids.

Posted by: I don't want to give my name ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 04:05PM

I was just thinking about this today. What a waste. Its like the TBMs have been conditioned to think that if they work hard enough in this life THEN they will be able to enjoy the kids forever. It really is all about family, just not in this lifetime. Again, what a waste.

Posted by: cristib ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 04:25PM

I don't want to give my name Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was just thinking about this today. What a
> waste. Its like the TBMs have been conditioned to
> think that if they work hard enough in this life
> THEN they will be able to enjoy the kids forever.
> It really is all about family, just not in this
> lifetime. Again, what a waste.

The problem with this line of thought...

The kids are only little (young and discovering things) ONCE, and only in THIS lifetime!

I would point this out to other TBMs while I was being a Nazi about teaching the gospel, trying to go to church, trying to cultivate a household of prayer and lover. (Gosh, does that sound icky now? YES!)

But, I always felt that sentiment (kids are only kids once and for a VERY SHORT while), fell on deaf ears, shoulders too heavy with religious dogma and responsibility.

You only get one chance to enjoy the excitement, wonderment, dawning of ideas as children discover their world. If you miss it now, it will NEVER happen again. You must take the time now, or forever hold your regrets!

I wish more grand parents could be available and present in their grand children's lives, able to watch the many talents that are eagerly expressed at such an age. Pride in one's children's accomplishments is a righteous pride, IMO, and needs to be felt.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.