Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rts ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 05:29AM

"Authoritarian religious groups are subcultures where conformity is required in order to belong. Thus if you dare to leave the religion, you risk losing your entire support system as well. [ ...] Leaving a religion, after total immersion, can cause a complete upheaval of a person’s construction of reality, including the self, other people, life, and the future. "

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/religious-trauma-syndrome-how-some-organized-religion-leads-to-mental-health-problems/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 06:43AM

Say what you want, I believe it's real. And yes, Mormonism is a fundamentalist religion that can have this effect on people. I think a lot of my depression and anxiety stems from my time in the morg, all the lies I had to tell to stay "under the radar"...

Religious trauma syndrome is probably not going to gain much traction, though, because theists are so hung up on religion being a positive force at all times and in all situations. Part of the lies they need to maintain control, imo.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 09:32AM

Nathaniel Branden, a psychiatrist who has written many books on the importance of self-esteem as an essential part of mental health, wrote that any psychiatrist or psychotherapist sees EVERY DAY in his office the emotional damage done by religion.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 10:28AM

This is good to know. I've seen two therapists: one when my father died and I was a bit depressed and one when my work situation became intolerable. Both were Mormon. The first kept telling me that all I needed was a husband. I quit seeing him after the second appointment. The second was a bit better but not much. The biggest help I got was from the physician's assistant (an ex-Mormon) who worked for the second therapist and helped me realize that much of my angst was coming from the toxic Mormon environment is which I was working. She was so right. And when I left Utah things got so much better for me.

I highly recommend that anyone who plans on seeing a psychiatrist or psychotherapist makes sure their professional is not highly religious or a Mormon. Religion and psychotherapy are difficult to make compatible.

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 05:36PM

I started therapy at the end of 2013 after I was officially diagnosed with Depression, Social Anxiety Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder and a possible Autism Spectrum Disorder. I already knew then that TSCC was a large part of my problems so I asked to see a non-Mormon therapist. Of course, being in the middle of Utah made that pretty much impossible. My psychiatrist, who I believe is also TBM, said I didn't have to worry because the therapist he assigned me to would never proselytize to me.

Well, he was wrong. The guy constantly touted Mormon views and beliefs, even quoting scripture sometimes. Yeah, most of the time I kind of steered the conversation into religion because it's one of the things that bothers me the most; but this is why I desperately need a SECULAR THERAPIST. If only one could be found in Utah... Like you, I need to get out of Utah. But my parents are here and they rely on me heavily for things like cooking and housework, at least for the time being. And I don't have the heart to leave them...

And anyone who is deeply involved in any fundamentalist religion, including Mormonism, simply cannot accept the fact that it can do much more harm than good, because that would be admitting a fundamental flaw in their belief system. So even though I'm fairly sure I suffer from Religious Trauma Syndrome, it'll likely never be diagnosed or treated.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 01:20PM

He wasn't a psychiatrist, just a psychologist with a marginally accredited PhD. He did write a lot of books, including some extolling Randism before Ayn shunned him for having the temerity to have an affair with someone who was not her. Randism certainly has some similarities with the worst parts of religion, so I'm not saying he wasn't experienced in the issue, I agree he was.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 01:28PM

"Some?" :(

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 07:07PM

Only "some" but not "all"!??

Date: July 08, 2015 09:27PM

From the article: "[T]here are thousands of former Mormons, and [Dr. Marlene Winell] was asked to speak about RTS at an Exmormon Foundation conference."

Here are the links to her 2011 Exmormon Conference talk about Religious Trauma Syndrome:

Part 1/4: https://youtu.be/Of5LY_y7_Ks

Part 2/4: https://youtu.be/tmmyEzBOXIk

Part 3/4: https://youtu.be/2GQKXtSdID4

Part 4/4: https://youtu.be/Ffysj1cgrH0

Date: July 08, 2015 09:30PM

The above link for Part 4/4 is from a different conference. Couldn't find the Exmormon Conference Part 4/4.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 09:53PM

I know local folks who got sucked into a notorious evangelical Christian congregation and it not only sucks their bank account dry, it fucks 'em up physiologically...just like Mormonism. They are told they are superior to all others because they got born again and saved...what a load of horseshit!!

Ron Burr

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 11, 2015 01:10AM

I have an evangelical friend who honestly believes that her faith is so strong that every thought that comes into her head is a message from God. Give me a break. How much more special can a person be than that? Why doesn't she just call herself a prophet? This makes everything that comes out of her mouth God centered. I don't know how someone that deluded can even live in the real world without someone coming along and smacking her "upside the head".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.