Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: July 10, 2015 01:01PM

1. Liberty Mutual Insurance;
..."You're driving along.........having a perfectly nice day."
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/q845k1jlwLg/maxresdefault.jpg

2. AAG Reverse Mortgage w/ washed-up Fred Thompson;
..."There's got to be a catch?..........right Jesse!"
http://www.reellifewithjane.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/aag-commercial.jpg

3. Rosland Capital;
..."Hi, I'm William Devane!"
http://www.roslandcapital.com/media/wysiwyg/Rosland_Capital_spokesman_William_Devane_with_competitive_prices_language_on_photo..png

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anonerd ( )
Date: July 10, 2015 01:06PM

What's a commercial? And btw why do we call it "dialing" a phone?

Date: July 10, 2015 01:08PM

"Commercial"........commerce; profiteering.

"Dialing"...........as in "turning" a old rotary phone "dial".

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 10, 2015 01:15PM

I don't know that annoying is the right word for animal lovers subjected to the commercials designed to gouge money out of us by searing our eyeballs with images of abused and mistreated animals.

I have an intellectual awareness that 'nature' is not dialed in at the 'everyone be nice' setting, but I don't want it thrown in my face!

Date: July 10, 2015 01:19PM

...yeah, forgot that one.........horrid!
..."Your credit card gladly accepted!"

http://image.cdn.ispot.tv/ad/7VSI/aspca-neglect-and-abused-animals-large-6.jpg

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: July 10, 2015 01:47PM

I'm with you there. And I use to work with an animal rescue group (PACA). You wouldn't realize how many people came and yelled at me (and other volunteers) because they were tired of getting mailers, ads, commercials for "Cruelty to Animals" and the pictures.

We would have to explain that we were PACA not PETA and all we did was foster dogs and cats, not film chicken/pig/beef factories. Do in depth and graphic infos on Elephants in circuses etc...

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 11, 2015 09:18AM

they'll send you a free T-shirt or some other free thing and I'm like, "If I'm going to contribute to your company to help animals, whey are you spending that money on a T-shirt?"

I hate those commercials, too.

I tend to zone out during commercials. My boyfriend will comment on one of them and I'll be like, "What? Oh, I didn't hear it."

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 11, 2015 09:31AM

Or I start bawling. I'm really sensitive to the suffering of animals. Even BF makes sure to change the channel.

The ones with people though? Fuck' em. ;)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 11, 2015 09:45AM

that has a picture that looks just like the dog I rescued 3-1/2 years ago. That really tears my heart out. (He died a little over a month ago from congestive heart failure and congenital heart disease.) My boyfriend says that when I was picking him up at PetSmart, the workers said he had been there for a year in this cage. It breaks my heart to even think about it. My ex is glad he never saw him that way.

These commercials just kill me.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: July 10, 2015 01:48PM

mayo...corndogs....you are so outta here!

Wish we could boot such inanities as easily.

Make one wonder who really patronizes all the crappola being touted.

Date: July 10, 2015 05:23PM

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: July 10, 2015 02:08PM

Carl's Jr. Bimbo ads.

Posted by: nomomohomo (not logged) ( )
Date: July 11, 2015 02:06PM

THIS!!!^^^^^

The sniveling voiceover actor also makes me want to punch something. He sounds like he just stepped in poo.

Posted by: lvskeptic ( )
Date: July 10, 2015 02:18PM

Ah c'mon.....I like the bimbo ads......lol

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: July 10, 2015 02:27PM

Never was or will be any more annoying than Geico ads, and I long ago made a decision to NEVER buy insurance from them. I just moved to Utah and just curiously, got a quote from Geico and 2 other companies. Both cheaper than Geico and I wasted my 15 minutes.

I also detest all prescription med commercials...."ask your Doctor if "whizbang" is good for your situation..." I've yet to meet a dr who will take any requests like that.

I hate TV ads in general and could, but won't, go on all day.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: July 10, 2015 02:37PM

All those commercials where Mom smiles so placidly while the kids and/or the husband tear up, mark up, destroy and ruin the house, making hideous messes all over... and then cleans it all up like their own personal maid while off they go to make a mess someplace else. Mom is just a servant, you see.

I hate that one where everyone smiles while that dreadful child jumps on and destoys the dishwasher door, too!

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: July 10, 2015 02:39PM

The fact that the commercials are always

SO

FREAKIN'

LOUD!!!!

while the actual show is a much lower volume!
Drives me nutz!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 10, 2015 06:52PM

A lot of people turn the volume down during commercials, so they decided to make people listen to the ads buy cranking the sound.

Advertising is insidious. It creates needs and wants where there was none before. I especially hate hearing the children I nanny exclaiming, "I want that!!!!" after every commercial. It's horrible. I can see why many parents don't let their children watch tv other than PBS or none at all.

Part of my sexuality course discussed how advertisers use sex, guilt, and insecurity to sell to people. I'll keep pushing this doc until people watch it: Killing Us Softly 4
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2507550/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4

It's on youtube. I'm no prude, but the images in many ads are disturbing when you look at them from a new perspective. In so many ads, people, especially women, become nothing more than a collection of body parts.

During commercials, I get up and do random chores around the house. I've never like sitting through commercials and have been suspicious of them most of my life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2015 06:53PM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: July 11, 2015 07:56AM

There was a lawsuit about this...If I remember right about 3 years ago??? Some of the networks USA, FX, etc... would double the volume when commercials came on.

The networks lost so now the shows and commercials have to have the same decibel.
https://www.fcc.gov/guides/program-background-noise-and-loud-commercials

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 10, 2015 02:46PM

Thank goodness for Tivo, Netflix, Amazon Prime. I imagine they'll eventually succumb to commercials, and then I will just stop watching altogether.

Date: July 10, 2015 02:51PM

I like the Bone Pill commercials where the older woman is waiting with bated breath for the pill to kick in. Right. A lot of women hide that prescription bottle.

Date: July 10, 2015 02:52PM

* Boner Pill

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: July 10, 2015 03:22PM

What's funny now is the Fiat commercial where one of those pills goes into the gas tank of a car just outside the guy's second story window.

Posted by: Afraid of Mormons ( )
Date: July 10, 2015 04:08PM

Worst, most corrupt commercial of all time:

LDS Social Services, trolling for babies, advertised on KSL and KBYU. The commercial was aimed at young unwed mothers, persuading them to give up their babies to LDS Social Services, to be adopted by families.

The young mother says, "I didn't give my baby up--I gave him MORE--a mother AND A FATHER."

I wanted to sue the makers of that commercial.

I was a TBM, newly divorced, struggling to raise my children on my own, without a father. The commercial would make me cry and feel guilty and horribly inadequate. (BTW, my children turned out great, without a father.)

What about the rights of grandparents, and the unwed fathers, and other relatives? All those helpless babies being turned over to a CULT, to be sold at a profit to the cult, to be raised in that cult--that commercial would upset me for hours.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: July 10, 2015 04:21PM

Once we got a special movie channel so we could avoid watching ads. But our clever plan did not work. Every half hour or so, this movie channel would interrupt the movie to advertise the movie channel we were already watching.

Posted by: claire ( )
Date: July 10, 2015 04:45PM

I hate the ones that make men look like bumbling fools--disheveled, tubby, unable to care for himself or the kids. Then the mighty wife comes in, always thin and well groomed, with the medicine or whatever to save the day.

If commercials portrayed women that way, people would go bat shit crazy over how sexist it was.

The other ones I hate are the State Farm commercials.

I'm so glad I don't have TV and so am rarely subjected to any of them.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 10, 2015 05:14PM

The Sea World ad when they brag that their Killer Whales live just as long as those in the wild, which is probably true of any well fed prisoner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2015 05:15PM by donbagley.

Posted by: antonymous ( )
Date: July 10, 2015 05:49PM

Not exactly reviled, but when I was a mishmury in Canada there was a great buzz about an LDS TV ad campaign.
We were at a youth fireside when someone pointed out the ad campaign was to launch that very evening. The TV was duly turned on, but no ads appeared so people lost interest. Then my companion yelled "here it is!"
Everyone crowded round as the young lady walked through the meadow with "BYU" music playing. This young lady then went on to explain the virtues of her chosen feminine hygiene product.
My companion...fifty shades of red. Classic.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 10, 2015 06:20PM

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. "

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 11, 2015 03:32AM

DH (primary remote handler) mutes them the second they come on. Or else he will channel-surf to see what is going on elsewhere. I literally have not seen most of the commercials the rest of you are referring to. I have a built-in Commercial Deletion Service!

We have been cruising through several episodes of "Blue Bloods" (probably our favorite show) on Netflix. I think the episodes are 45-47 minutes long without the commercials. It's SO nice to just enjoy the stories, without the adverts!

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: July 11, 2015 12:03PM

I've gone a year without TV. More and more people are opting out/using alternative methods....

I was so angry when they started commercials at movie theaters (besides the usual Coke/snack bar ad). They started with one, then two, then sometimes 15 minutes of ads. I didn't pay $10 to sit through Musinex flem commercials... so I stopped going to most films also. Netflix, Amazon and the internet have eliminated most annoying commercials.

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: July 11, 2015 12:22PM

My nephew (27) is named Mike and he utterly hates the hump day camel calling out "Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike!" He claims he's going to kill the person who wrote that if he ever finds out who it is.

Of course, if it was someone else's name, he'd find it hysterical.

Other Susan

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: July 11, 2015 12:54PM

Talk about cog-diss, witness the pharmo-mercials with happy scenes of actors frolicking amongst singing birds in picturesque settings followed by a plethora of warnings about horrible side-effects including even death?

If that's not enough, then we are accosted with lawyer-mercials hawking legal settlements for victims of those very same drugs.

Pass me that remote control, willya please?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.