Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 10:38PM

Anyone else fighting summer depression. Just too much light, too long days, too much heat. Will it ever end? Black out curtains don't work. Any suggestions or humor to lighten the load?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 10:42PM

This time of the year is hard for me. I have bad skin problems and I have eczema all over my body. My legs and arms look like I have chicken pox.

The heat just gets to me.

Hang in there, before you know it, it will be fall!

-Dennis

Posted by: not a doctor ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 04:19AM

I have gotten rid of my eczema and helped others too through the ingestion of Milk Thistle capsules plus Evening Primrose Oil gel caps (it looks like a fish oil gel capsule) Go to your local health food store and get their advice on the best quality products you can find. You'll be able to tell the difference very quickly.

I spent the first 30 years of my life in itchy agony before this discovery. I know how it can make you crazed

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 10:07PM

not a doctor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have gotten rid of my eczema and helped others
> too through the ingestion of Milk Thistle capsules
> plus Evening Primrose Oil gel caps (it looks like
> a fish oil gel capsule) Go to your local health
> food store and get their advice on the best
> quality products you can find. You'll be able to
> tell the difference very quickly.
>
> I spent the first 30 years of my life in itchy
> agony before this discovery. I know how it can
> make you crazed

Thanks! I'm willing to give it a try! scratch, scratch

-Dennis

Posted by: Hail Odin ( )
Date: July 10, 2015 12:42AM

Milk Thistle is good for the Liver also

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 11, 2015 03:07PM

I have horrible eczema, and it gets much worse when the weeds are growing. I bought some evening primose capsules and milk thistle tincture yesterday, so we'll see how well it works for me yesterday.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 10:49PM

I don't get depression. but I get physical pains. Wearing a sleep mask has helped me with better sleep, which has helped with the pains. The heat I think is another cause. I've also found placing a cold, wet wash cloth on the pained area usually helps-- it cools off the area, but getting a good, uninterrupted night's sleep is the key for me, not being woken up at 6 a.m. by sunlight.

Doesn't exactly answer your questions about depression. Hope you find a solution.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 11:21PM

The weather has cooled off a little here in Northern Utah and I'm feeling better than I had. July and August are "hell" for me most years and I'm sure that horrible heat will be back. It helps me to get up early in the morning and go out and do yard work or go for walks. I HAVE to have air conditioning. The swamp cooler just makes me worse. That is what I had, but I bought some of those "rolling" air conditioners that you vent through a window and they help me A LOT.

I had a dog get killed on July 3 not long after my husband left me. That was 18 years ago, but I had another dog die this year on June 4th. I had to go back on Prozac. Luckily it has kicked in.

I hate the summer sun. I read once about reverse SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and it said that once September comes, you start feeling like yourself again. I start feeling like I'm in an alternative world during the summer--something like the movie Inception. I basically have to grit my teeth and keep moving.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2015 11:22PM by cl2.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 11:21PM

Waking up Mexican every hot summer morning really helps. Next time you're born, consider this option!

Heat doesn't affect me like it does los gavachos.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 12:15AM

Go visit Australia. It's winter there :)

Posted by: sabbathbloodysabbath ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 12:39AM

It is nice to know that I am not the only one that can't wait for Fall.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 12:45AM

I am another who finds summer hands-down the most unbearable season of the year. With blackout curtains I don't mind the light so much as the heat. When I was at latitude 61° in Leningrad during summer solstice, you could read Pravda at 2 am, but it was not hot, so that was not so bad to me. But 101° in coastal hills Oregon? Fuck that, bring on October.

Posted by: sabbathbloodysabbath ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 01:46AM

I was born and raised along the red dirt logging roads of the coastal range. I am so sorry to hear about 101 degrees there. Knowing the area I'd bet that the low tonight will be about 90 degrees. Good luck getting any sleep. Nobody has an air conditioner either. Staying warm and dry is usually the immediate problem not cooling off.

The perfect climate as far as I am concerned because it was usually so mild and moderate during the summer (and winter too). You know, foggy, and usually somewhere between eighty and forty degrees year round. Very rarely any extremes of hot or cold.

I hear you are having a drought too. I really hope it cools down because that kind of heat is just all kinds of wrong for that area.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 02:01AM

One bright spot we have is it still cools down to 60 during nights, as long as cloud cover is not thick, and it hasn't been. The logging trucks are still rolling at 4 am this year since tree harvest lags weather by a few years. But 2-3 years from now? - perhaps too quiet. I hope Ferguson Creek (and my well!), which bisects my property, does not run dry this year.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 01:37AM

I think the depression some of us are experiencing is due to the lack of seasons here in Northern CA (more commonly called the 5th Ring of Hell). --Similar to lack of sleep and circadian rhythms being thrown off. We wake up depressed and angry. Thank Heaven we like each other.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 01:37AM

Years and years of no seasons--just summer.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 01:54AM

I am here in Arizona and it has been getting up to 110 degrees. One more week and we will be to the halfway point of summer (more or less.) I dress lightly, use fans and the swamp cooler, and drink lots of ice water. When winter comes, I can refrain from turning on the heater, put on my coat, and have the best air conditioning around. Payback for the ridiculous summer weather.

Posted by: Charee ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 01:58AM

I'm a teacher experiencing summeritis...it's fantastic!

I hope you feel better soon!! For laughs we saw the movie Spy.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 02:27AM

The magic words are: "Have fun, and I'll have dinner ready when you get home." In order for this solution to work, you must live in a quiet, air-conditioned house.

You must enjoy solitude and solitary pursuits, such as reading, watching movies, music, art, crafts, indoor exercise, a cool morning walk, and such.

You must have ALREADY been to Disneyland too many times, ridden too many amusement park rides, and been to every zoo, aviary, museum, and park within driving distance.

You must have experienced your share of camping, fish fries, s'mores, mosquito bites, and a certain number of days without taking a bath.

You must have already experienced white-water rafting in 110 degree heat, getting lost in the desert, eating dust behind other people's horses and/or four-wheelers.

The more travel, the more experiences, the better. Now, it is time for a well-deserved afternoon of cool shade, ice water with mint, and perhaps a nap!

Also, you must be able to make dinner in less than 30 minutes!

The face mask works, absolutely! If nothing else, when your body perceives darkness, it automatically cools down. On stressful days (today was a GOOD-stress day), darkening your room with blackout blinds at about 9:30 shortens the long days. Stop working at 8:00, and get into your favorite sleep outfit. Don't answer the doorbell or the phone, except for an emergency. Promise yourself this long, cool, peaceful unwinding time at the end of the day--even though Mother Nature doesn't provide it for you.

I'm awake right now because our neighbors are lighting fireworks, which are illegal in this area of town. My dog is frightened by the noise, and she is whining and shaking. Oh yeah, get those giant wax earplugs--Mack's earplugs--and put noise-cancelling earphones on top of them. Studies show that people who listen to nature sounds are calmer than people who listen to music.

The good news is that the days are getting shorter!

Posted by: Djinn ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 02:34AM

Never experienced summer depression until this summer. It has been hot! We had a break from the heat this week with the thunderstorms rolling through. Glad, I love thunderstorms!

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 02:53AM

Just vacationed in the northwest this last week. Oregon and Washington. Hot as hell up there..not the normal temp at all. Pendleton wins the prize, for the hottest mess this year...

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 08:45PM

Thanks all for the help and support. It is appreciated. I will try a sleeping mask and see if that helps.

I will send positive thoughts with other with the problem and those with the skin problems too.

Hope October comes soon.

Posted by: Q ( )
Date: July 08, 2015 09:40PM

There can be several reasons for summer depression...but one major theory getting recognition is that some people are not very tolerant of the heat therefore they stay indoors where there's a lack of sunlight. Try a sun lamp...they're relatively cheap n you can find on eBay or Amazon.. Turn it on for 1/2 to 1 hr in the am. It really helps...as do vitamin D3 pills.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 11, 2015 04:37AM

How can anyone not feel more alive when trees are GREEN, flowers are in bloom, birds are singing, you can smell freshly-mowed lawns and barbecues. . .

I'm sorry you guys are having a rough time, but this is the season I LIVE for. Time to hit the pool again. . .

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: July 11, 2015 03:58PM

Summer is not when the plants are green. Summer is when the plants are yellow or brown. Summer is when they start banning campfires or even closing down forests to recreationists. but I think I live in a different state than you do.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: July 11, 2015 04:08PM

I like summer because I can go bicycling. In my younger days when I lived in SLC Utah I was a serious cyclist, riding 180 miles a week on average. Now at age 73 and living in northern Maryland I am riding about 70 miles a week.

So I really like the summer. I use NUUN Electrolyte Enhanced Drink Tabs, which replace the electrolytes that I sweat off while riding. They make it possible to ride in hot weather, plus I drink a quart of water during my daily ride.

If you don't like the summer heat, you might consider trying to "go with the flow" and take advantage of activities that are not possible in the winter.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.