Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: July 12, 2015 05:17AM

An estimated 29.8 million people live in slavery around the globe. That's fewer than 20 years ago, but still a bit high, wouldn't you say?

About 78% of slaves are held for labor, and 22% for sex.

India leads the world with 14 million slaves.

There are 60,000 slaves in the US, and 4400 in the UK. Both countries refuse to enforce human trafficking laws n certain ethnic communities.

Any claim that slavery has been abolished is pure fantasy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 12, 2015 11:10AM

I am a slave to food. Not a day goes by where I don't think about eating. At first, life seemed so simple. I did only those things that pleased me, and when I was hungry, I was fed, with no effort on my part, except pretending to wash my hands, if I wasn't being watched closely.

The story of my passage from free soul to slave is a heart breaking tale of silly expectations that I become a responsible human being. What a nasty set of words!

How I long for the days when the clarion call of the truly Free Man would ring out!! "Dinner's ready!" I would hear the call, and I would heed it, and the world was good.

That's what heaven will be....

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: July 12, 2015 11:51AM

Masturbation and gay marriage are much more pressing problems

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 12, 2015 12:15PM

Present day slavery is one of the things that I think about (and feel!!!) every day...and every day I send good energies to those in the world who are enslaved or indentured since---realistically---I cannot do anything else.

I am acutely aware that slavery continues to exist, here in the USA and worldwide...

...and that this is one of our global problems that comparatively very little is being done about.

Thank you, Historischer, for this post. :)

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: July 12, 2015 01:39PM

I participated in a Soroptomists silent auction fundraiser, specifically to raise money to combat sex slavery/helping girls/education... It is terrible these people are not prosecuted in 2015. Many regions still view females/children as commodities.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 12, 2015 02:01PM

Ex-Sis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I participated in a Soroptomists silent auction
> fundraiser, specifically to raise money to combat
> sex slavery/helping girls/education...

Very good, Ex-Sis!!! :D

> It is terrible these people are not prosecuted in
> 2015. Many regions still view females/children as
> commodities.

Yes...there are enormous numbers of people who are---right now, as I type this---actual SLAVES (including the legally indentured, which is virtually the same thing in real life).

I have been mostly vegetarian for a long time now, but until recently, I have made exceptions for shrimp (in particular) when I was eating in restaurants. I only recently learned that the shrimp I have been eating, has VERY likely been the product of slave labor of people (mostly males) who have been captured or sold, put on literal "slave ships," and then kept on those ships for (usually) the rest of their lives under UNBELIEVABLE conditions...and where they can be tortured, or thrown overboard to die, at any moment---and on any passing whim of their captors.

I am no longer eating shrimp. At this point, it is not only a question of consideration for the shrimp, but also for the human beings who may well be lifelong, isolated captives, living in insanely bad conditions, to provide that shrimp to the market which gets it to my plate.

There is also, still, a difficult problem of slavery (and the very-near-legal, "alternative" "slaveries" which exist) here in the United States.

Actual slavery on the part of, often, immigrants from slave-holding countries, who have actual slaves legally transported here (the slaves come, usually under guard of some sort, with passports, visas, etc.; they enter the country legally), and then---once here---the slaves are sequestered away from legal or other scrutiny and live, often, in very close to the brutally same conditions (and the caprices of their owners) as would be true if they were in their home countries.

Slavery in the USA may not be the obvious, blatant problem it was in the early 1800s, but it DOES still exist...sometimes in very "legal" ways...and other times, in ways which are very near equivalent (but which escape public condemnation).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2015 02:02PM by tevai.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: July 12, 2015 01:46PM

Every TBM is a slave.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 12, 2015 02:43PM

Only in the first world sense.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: July 12, 2015 02:47PM

No doubt. And I was in no way trying to diminish the tragedy of slavery around the world.

But there are so many psychological parallels...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.