Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: July 14, 2015 06:40PM

"If you don't accept Christ as your savior,you are going to hell" when I don't even believe in hell?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Savior's Elf ( )
Date: July 14, 2015 07:01PM

Because it's implying that they believe you deserve what they see as the most negative consequence that could ever exist for something that they also think you are stupid for not believing in. And the power play on the fact that they think you're ignorant when they have no proof of their position so it is like saying they are better than you for no good reason. It's quite the multifaceted insult.

Posted by: AIT ( )

WCG,

Because whether you believe in hell or not it's insulting when someone says you deserve to be tortured forever for not believing what they do.

Condescendingly condemning you like that completely ignores who you are as a person and what you know and have experienced that have led you to where you are. It is an act of complete invalidation of everything that you know and are. It is a complete embrace of ignorance and inhumanity and it is disgusting.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: July 14, 2015 07:38PM

DING DING we have a winning answer. Nicely written AIT.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 01:20PM

Very well said.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )

I don't find that statement "insulting."

I find it idiotic, ignorant, hypocritical, and arrogant.

So when christians say it to me, I don't get "insulted," I typically laugh. Then I point out their hypocrisy by saying it using their own scriptures...and THEY get "insulted."
Go figure.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: July 14, 2015 07:06PM

Okay, but what happened was this person said it to me about my friend (also an atheist) who is dying of cancer.

Date: July 14, 2015 07:26PM

wine country girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay, but what happened was this person said it to
> me about my friend (also an atheist) who is dying
> of cancer.

A friend (or friend of a friend) is dying, and this "christian" has nothing but arrogant, hypocritical judgment? No sympathy, no empathy, no desire to comfort?

I can only hope that when THIS person is dying of cancer, people are the same to him/her. Karma's a bitch.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 14, 2015 07:35PM

One reply in this situation would be, "If that is how your
religion teaches you to respond to a situation like this, then
your religion is ugly and disgusting."

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 11:05AM

baura Wrote:
> One reply in this situation would be, "If that is
> how your
> religion teaches you to respond to a situation
> like this, then
> your religion is ugly and disgusting."
"AMEN!"

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 11:07AM

"Don't you want to go to Heaven?"

"Not if you're gonna be there."

Date: July 15, 2015 01:21PM

Go Baura!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 14, 2015 09:09PM

...In saying it. Have you ever heard of a site called Rapture Ready? It's filled with all sorts of posters delight in thinking how all the heathens and atheists will be left behind to suffer the tribulations, then burn for eternity. Simply, they are sadisticly minded and revel in the idea that unbelievers will be punished for not falling in line.

It's appalling someone would say that about your dying friend. Tell them to kick rocks.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: July 14, 2015 09:29PM

I just love that these people have such a close, personal relationship with Jesus that they know who gets to go to Heaven and Hell. My dad called up one day just to tell me that I wasn't going to the Celestial Kingdom. I told him that I didn't believe in it and so it was irrelevant. It's just ridiculous for people to say those kinds of things and heartless to say it to someone who is dying.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 11:04AM

I realized a long time ago that it doesn't have anything to do with the other person, it's their way of consoling themselves for the misery they experience in their religion. Sometimes that's all they've got--is the sick satisfaction they think they're going to get watching everyone who didn't endure the same misery in life get cast down to hell, or telestial world, or outer darkness or limbo, or whateverthehell they need to believe.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 11:10AM

The fact that anyone would be satisfied that another person will suffer says something about their character, and what kind of God they believe in.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 01:18PM

^ exactly

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 14, 2015 10:03PM

Heartless sums it up nicely. I am sorry that your friend is having cancer in her life, and sorry that you are loosing your friend in this way. There are no two ways about it.....cancer is ugly.

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: July 14, 2015 11:56PM

It's so offensive in this situation because this particular believer is circling you like a vulture.

You're losing a friend to a horrible disease, so this is the best time to threaten you with hell - your defences are already stretched pretty thin.

"See? You'll die too, someday, and I know the ONE TRUE WAY to beat death at its own game. I'm better off than you (or your friend) because I'll NEVER go to hell. Don't you want to be smart like me?"

Ignorant, greedy, hateful.

WCG, your words on this board are so often full of beauty and laughter, so often full of wisdom. I'm fairly certain your friend is comforted by your presence.

I'm sorry you have to experience this. Maybe the ugliness that the ignoramous poured on you had to spill out somewhere, lest its head explode like a rotten egg, and right now, better you than your friend.

Kindest wishes for you and yours.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 12:02AM

it's YOUR hell. YOU go there.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 12:44AM

I don't like the way they seem so satisfied and smugly happy about the idea of other people burning in hell forever. It seems like the very thought should make them sad.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 12:53AM

I was at a family party enjoying a bit of brew, when my wife's uncle asked me out of the clear blue if I "have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Savior"! I replied quite loudly "good god Fermin, get real" and walked away.

These Jesus freaks are a royal pain in the ass, and are the best proof against religion. If god really wants these jerks in his kingdom, he/she isn't the kind of god that I personally would want anything to do with. Spending eternity with these morons would really be a living hell.

Posted by: ChubbyTheFat ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 11:18AM

If Jesus Christ wants me to accept him as the "Savior" then he could approach me himself and not confine himself to a period of Roman history 2,000 years ago.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 01:04PM

Anyone that doesn't accept Christ and burns in hell forever has it coming....obviously!

Now that is not to say it's actually going to happen:)

Getting insulted by it is a carry over from our childhood when someone on the play ground said "my dad can beat up your dad"....you feel you've been judged and condemned by someone that knows nothing about how tough your dad is or who he can beat up.

I mean, what if your dad was Chuck Norris and you knew he could beat up the other kids dad? You'd still feel insulted by the judgement. Human nature.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 01:28PM

This is a culmination of all that is ignorant and horrible about religion.

To say such a thing to a dying person shows just how insecure, arrogant, egocentric, and pompous that person is. It is a way of saying, between the lines, "Even though you are dying and in pain it is more important to me to show you that I am superior and that your non-belief threatens me on a personal level. So, instead of keeping my mouth shut and offering you some kind of comfort, I choose to disrespect and abuse you in an effort to feel better about myself."

Date: July 15, 2015 01:37PM

So if there WAS a Christ and Heaven and Hell and all that, then the moment you died, you'd know it for a FACT because, well, there it all is.

But SOR-RY! the deal is that if you didn't believe it BEFORE you died and could know it as a fact, then you deserve to be pointlessly punished for the rest of eternity. The reason for that is because in the next life, you need lots of faith, so it's VERY important to develop that now.

Oh wait, oops, no you don't really need faith at all in the next life because God is right there running everything out in the open. Now why is it that he cares about people having or not having faith? So confusing.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 01:49PM

I would only tell evil people they are going to hell. I personally find a belief in hell to be helpful because I think some people are that evil. Without believing in hell, where is justice?

Date: July 15, 2015 04:58PM

rhgc Wrote:
> I would only tell evil people they are going to
> hell. I personally find a belief in hell to be
> helpful because I think some people are that evil.
> Without believing in hell, where is justice?

You may want there to be some kind of "ultimate justice," but there's no evidence there is any such thing. Yes, it would be nice if magically anyone who was nasty or "evil" in the real world, yet escaped civil justice, got nailed by a magical god-thing and given punishment.

There's just no evidence any such thing will occur. And the concept of eternal punishment for finite "sins" isn't "justice" anyway.

Some people are going to get away with nasty things. Oh, well. Pretending there will be some "ultimate justice" doesn't make it real.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 06:19PM

Wasn't there a league of justice once? ;)

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 01:42PM

How do you find comfort in something that makes no sense?

Hell is where god say's we go if we don't believe in him and worship him. God say's we'll be tortured for eternity by satan.

Since when does satan do what god WANTS? Why would satan follow gods plan?

And if god can force satan to follow his plan, then isn't that really satan's plan? To make all the spirits worship and follow god?

And didn't god say "no" they need agency, and rejected satan's plan?

And if god rejected satans plan, then god doesn't want to force anyone to do anything....they need the choice.

And didn't god create satan, so doesn't satan get a choice?

How is this helpful in the eternal scheme of justice?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 02:02PM

It is like saying my daddy can beat up your daddy when they have no evidence that they could. They just want to think that and it is insulting that they are so childish to even say it to you. Is it because they don't like you or they don't like your daddy or lack of one?

I've got some ice cream and you don't have none.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 09:00AM

it's not insulting..at all...
to insult you or any intelligent person requires some factual stuff....

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 09:04AM

They are also condemning a large part of their religious canon, as hell was not concocted until the New Testament.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.