Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 14, 2015 12:27PM

If you are brave enough to attempt to read these emails, enjoy.

"Then we went to bingo. The old people were out of control during bingo. All of them were fight against each other like five year olds. It was a fiasco to say the least. To end the day we went tracting and we met this very older man and talked to him for a few minutes. This man built a barn out of just trampolines and swing sets. I should of taken a picture of it. sorry. Last Friday and Saturday we did pretty much service all day. I did learn how to paint a house and how to fix a log cabin. During the last few months we have had a lot people moving so on Friday we also helped some on move. Yesterday we ate dinner at a members home and they gave us a pouch swing. it has never left the box. So of course after planning I had to build it. I decided to build it and leave it in our apartment. Right now we have a pouch swing in our apartment. It adds some awesome effects to the apartment. we are also trying to clean it and move stuff around to best fit it in. I will send you all a picture of it. That was pretty much my week. How was y'all's week. I got a black man hair cut last Monday from this black hair cut place. it looks fantastic.

Sorry this is going to have to be very short. Very thing is going great. We
went on exchange this last week so I went to another warning the
district. We met this crazy member that would not sit still to save
his life. Then I hurt my are riding a street bicycle. It had no
shocks so my arm did not like it but the next day everything felt
fine. It might have also to do with biking on THE most hilly area. On Friday the fairgrounds by are apartments had a
firework show so we contacted right before it.(by the way we did not
say for the fireworks we went home then to bed...tired) we talked to
one of the potentials that was at the fairgrounds. She finally gave us
her number so we call call her. The fairgrounds where gross and crazy.
People do not know how to park here.. So it is known for
not have that many sidewalks in general but when the do people seem to
park on the side walk..? It made traveling that night very difficult.
Saturday we did service for the ward mission leader. We were laying
sod. Well we were doing it the weather changed in it started to rain.
The rain mixed with the clay made every thing weight heavier.
I was covered in mud, from head to toe. It was extremely weird and
uncomfortable feeling that I wish not to experience again. It is
possibly not the last time it will happen. After that we hurried home
changed and went to red robin with a member. Then after that we went
tracting. I met this family that hated us. I asked
if we could do service for them but they said " no, you will still be
Mormon if we let you. My comp took it very hard but it happens.
I thought it was a bit strange about the whole thing. In the end of
our Fourth of July we went to a members house for a bbq. There was a
lot of people from the ward there and non members there. I had an
opportunity read a magazine about l Tom perry and it is very good. "

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: July 14, 2015 12:30PM

This is such an indictment on our public education system. I'm assuming he graduated with at least a B average?

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: July 14, 2015 12:46PM

What the blue f*ck is a pouch swing? Never heard of one.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: July 14, 2015 01:09PM

Something you do while tea bagging perhaps?

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 07:39PM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 02:44PM

"porch" maybe???

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 02:47PM

The level of instruction I got in the 50's and 60's in english , , literature and spelling makes today's school systems look like they are run bu Neandertal trolls.

Ron Burr

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: July 14, 2015 01:17PM

Seems to make sense as "porch" swing, like he almost knows how to type but reached for the R with his right hand instead of his left and got a U instead.

Why would anyone not proofread before hitting send???

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: July 14, 2015 08:48PM

Unfortunately, most of the home-schooled kids I met when I was a kid were awkward, unable to socialize on any meaningful level, and one of the twins (both of whom were homeschooled, I think, for their ENTIRE CHILDHOOD) would do incredibly awkward things and call people up out of the blue for no reason.

Of course, I figured, even as a teenager, this was the result of being isolated from people their own age except for when you get to go to church and interact with a bunch of religious nutjobs being indoctrinated by their nutjob parents.

Date: July 14, 2015 01:30PM

"Then I hurt my are riding a street bicycle." I suppose he's Brit and meant to say that he hurt his arse riding a street bicycle. Is a street bicycle different from a bicycle?

Date: July 14, 2015 01:33PM

And in my head, I read the whole second entry in the voice of Forrest Gump. That's all I'll say about that.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 14, 2015 01:50PM

"Arm". Although I first thought "arse."

Posted by: cristib ( )
Date: July 14, 2015 01:43PM

I know this place is really against homeschooling, but MAN! My home-schooled kids do better than this! I've insisted on testing my kids, and I have one who's currently in public school and is frustrated by the language arts assignments, not because he was behind, but because they were 'old stuff'. He was recently tested and though entering 10th grade, is reading on a college level.

Pouch swing.... I'm pretty sure he meant a PORCH swing... but maybe he's from the south and tryin' to spell it the way he says it? Now, if it's a hanging swing, I hope someone is smart enough to figure out where the support beams are in the ceiling. If it's a framed swing, I hope they don't put the top on.

LOL! I get a kick out of offering to 'serve' someone and that someone saying, 'No, you'll still be Mormon.' I've told the sisternaries that I don't want them to do service for me, because then I'll become the gossip topic for months to come. I'd rather them be ignorant of my specific needs.

I've also told missionaries I'd accept their 'service' IF they would read some passages from LDS<dot>org. They supposedly cannot... so, I didn't get any help.

Old folks being out of control? RIGHT!?! It's BINGO! I just don't think he knows what old folks partying looks like! Please don't expose him to my generation's party antics!

Parking on sidewalks? If he's here in TX, and some places in AZ, the sidewalk IS the place to park... you get those tires off the street so there's room to drive!

The fairgrounds were gross, but he didn't explain why. If he's a neat freak, or maybe a germaphobe, the fair grounds would be gross. But, good gosh, give a little!

Getting dirty doing service projects? Glad to hear it. Doing free landscaping for the WML, is frustrating, but....

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: July 14, 2015 05:45PM

There are good and poor public schools just as there are good and poor students. Having taught college prep in a pretty good public school, I can say that the vast majority of my students were reading at a college level while still in middle school.

Unless there is an extremely compelling reason for home schooling, almost every child will profit from regular school. Examples of compelling reasons for me are: living on a ranch on top of a mountain, sailing around the world on a boat, or a learning disability for which the school has no program. Reasons like keeping your kids away from people who are different from you or who may hold different ideas don't make the cut.

As parents, we are supposed to be helping kids live and succeed in the real world.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: July 14, 2015 10:10PM

It's not too bad for a 6th or 7th grader. It has short, choppy sentences that you would expect from an 11 or 12 year old. At least he *usually* capitalized the first words of sentences, the word "I", and ended sentences with a period. That's far ahead of many 18 year olds that write a letter or e-mail like they are sending a text and cramped for space.

If he used similar writing as a high school senior for English compositions, it should have received a "D" (if the teacher was generous).

Posted by: cristib ( )
Date: July 14, 2015 11:44PM

Evidently, I owe the OP an apology. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread.... Please, continue on, and share your missionary's thoughts. Many of us are really interested!

Posted by: theviking ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 12:12AM

To be honest, my letters weren't much better when I was on my mission. All I did growing up was play xbox and work on the farm. However, reading on my mission and in college really helped me improve my grammar and vocabulary. By the time I graduated with my bachelor's degree, I became a grammar nazi.

It was annoying to read the emails... but at least he used punctuation, right?

I just hate it when people dont use punctuation in there righting I have to read the paragraph alot of times just to figure out what there talking about its so confusing I guess I cant point any fingers I also got a Spanish Fork education.

Date: July 15, 2015 12:18PM

theviking Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just hate it when people dont use punctuation in
> there righting I have to read the paragraph alot
> of times just to figure out what there talking
> about its so confusing I guess I cant point any
> fingers I also got a Spanish Fork education.

LOL.

Posted by: yamsi ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 12:17AM

It looks like his email service spell checks, cause even if the word doesn't fit grammatically it is an actual word.

When he returns and goes to college his writing skills will improve.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 12:33AM

The writing is about at fourth or fifth grade level. I think this young man may be used to texting on his phone because he appears to be dependent on auto-spelling, given that the first two letters or so are often correct.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 01:41AM

I was thinking that EB had a nephew that has either a learning disability or is on the spectrum. You notice how he hated the feeling of mud on him?

I could be wrong, but if I remember then that would explain his writing skills.

Date: July 15, 2015 12:18PM

I think he might have one. Others in my family have hinted that he might.

Posted by: sonofabish ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 01:05PM

I like how he apologizes for not taking a picture of the barn made with trampolines and swing sets. I guess I can find it in my heart to forgive him.

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 02:03PM

Looks like auto-correct. I think maybe kids are used to translating auto-correct-ese into real words, but I'm bad at it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.