Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 04:40PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 04:50PM

Without reading the article, let me guess: it's the mormons!
Otherwise, why would deseret news print it?

If that's the case, it means the mormons go to church more than other religions. It doesn't mean their church is "true," it doesn't mean going to church more makes you a "better person," it doesn't mean anything except they go to church more -- and spend less time together as a family.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 04:51PM

The worst one

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 05:22PM

The article states: 'Followers of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints attend church services the most, with 75 percent of its followers going to church each week"?????

What a lie!!!! Maybe 75% of the 'actives' (less than 40%(?) that attend church at least once every month.

Maybe this is a trick ------ what does 'followers' mean? Obviously not members of record!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 05:27PM

This is so misleading. The funny thing is that the opposite is true. Of the people who responded that they go to services once a week, the majority were mormons.

However, if they had polled random Mormons (on-the-record mormons) and asked how often they go to church, the answer would probably be way toward the bottom. Only 30% are anywhere near active.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: July 17, 2015 09:43AM

The Deseret News is, after all, the official public organ of the Mormon church. They could, would, and do say anything to promote the organization, even fabricate. Just like the old Communist newspapers of the former places like USSR, etc. It doesn't have to be true. Why? Because its readership is very narrow--Mormons. They don't expect the general public to even read it, let along believe it. So they brazenly announce to Mormons anything they damn well please to: "We are the fastest growing church in the world!" "People trust Mormons more than any other religious group!" "We are persecuted as much as the Jews!"

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 05:27PM

How the hell did they come up with 75% when only 30-40% are active? Oh, let me guess, the Spirit revealed that number to DN.

Posted by: jojo ( )
Date: July 17, 2015 07:03PM

The numbers come from Dadaviz, a data visualization service. The question is where did they get the data to amke the chart?

Date: July 17, 2015 07:04PM

Its about 50% in the CA ward I am in.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 05:30PM

Sadness prevails. Poor suckers.

Posted by: sonofabish ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 05:30PM

The poll must have been taken right before the sacrament was passed.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 05:41PM

In other words: Of the 75% of mormons who go to church, 75% of them go to church.

:-) :-) :-)

Posted by: JamesTheElder ( )
Date: July 17, 2015 02:58PM

I've lived in Mormon communities my entire life. It's usually around 50-60%.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: July 17, 2015 03:11PM

They didn't ask a random sampling of individuals how often they went to church. They asked the people *attending church* how often they showed up.

So yeah, most Mormons that do show up at all, show up every week. The problem with this methodology is that most Mormons (as far as church recordkeeping is concerned) don't show up every week.

It's not lying so much as it is bad methodology.

Date: July 17, 2015 07:08PM

"They asked the people *attending church* how often they showed up."

I don't see where it says that.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 17, 2015 07:08PM

I visit the 'forest church' as often as possible...

just sayin'

edit: once there was a prominent member named Hall who taught SS.

when loitering around the building during classes, if asked where I was, I'd truthfully say: "I was in the hall class."

Posted by: Texas Sue ( )
Date: July 17, 2015 07:49PM

Reminds me of stats from Anchorman, "60% of the time, it works EVERY time!"

Posted by: dancing with my Zelph ( )
Date: July 17, 2015 09:02PM

75% of those who actually consider themselves Mormons attend church once a week. So there are about 60-70% of the membership that are completely inactive at best. So then you have to consider what percentage of them would actually identify themselves as Mormon if asked. So even if the responses were from a random poll where people in the population were contacted directly by the pollsters, that 75% would likely be only a portion of claimed total. According to this poll (http://commons.trincoll.edu/aris/files/2011/12/Mormons2008.pdf) only 53% of the members that the LDS church claims in the US actually self-identify as LDS (3,158,000 vs. 5,974,041). So 75% of those who claim membership is 2,368,500 or 40% of those on the records attend once a week. Still highly inflated compared to general experience but much more realistic than the claim from the article.

If it is some form of poll that requires a person to respond online without someone verbally asking the questions, then it is a self-selected and highly restricted sample of people who would actually take the time to answer the questions when they are emailed to them or they manage to trip over the questions on the Internet.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: July 17, 2015 11:01PM

Well, mormons going on their mission are taught "don't answer the question they asked, answer the question they should have asked."

They answered "how often do you tell your mormon relatives living across the country you attend church?"

They are also taught to lie for the church, starting with statistics of how many contacts they made while on their mission. They know the statistics will appear somewhere, so they know the CULT wants them to answer "every week" to make the statistics look good.

All the high numbers show is that Mormonism is a CULT and will lie more than anyone else, because they know the answer they are "expected to give" to show support for the CULT.

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: July 17, 2015 11:24PM

When I was active, I attended 75% of the time. I didn't go through the temple, but my understanding is that you need to attend 75% of the meetings for a TR.

That exhausted me, emotionally drained me to attend church so frequently. I would miss for a "mental sick" day once in awhile even though physically I was fine.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.