Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heathen ( )
Date: July 03, 2015 04:19PM

Going to be in Vegas next week for work, and my wife is coming along. We want to catch a show or two.

For those familiar with Vegas, any recommendations? There are so many shows! (and they all look good!)

Oh, wife won't have anything to do with the burlesque-type, adult shows - even though she's not Mormon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 03, 2015 04:26PM

You can't go wrong with the Cirque du Soleil shows. But it might be too late to get tickets to any worthwhile Vegas show.

http://www.vegas.com/shows/cirque-du-soleil/

Posted by: cwpenrose ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 10:34AM

Vegas dweller here. You are spot on. Great show.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: July 03, 2015 05:22PM

Posted by: whywait ( )
Date: July 03, 2015 05:33PM

I guess driving a couple of hours out in the desert for a couples date to one of the brothels is out of the question.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: July 03, 2015 05:58PM

I just left Las Vegas after 17 years with a long list of things I didn't do.

But here are some that are fun:

As mentioned, any of the Cirque du Soleil shows. I especially like the Beatles Love and "O" at Bellagio.

The conservatory at Bellagio, and then out front are the fountains. Those were always my favorite place in town and I moved there about the same time that Bellagio opened. They also have great gelato. (My adult sons came down to help me move to Utah and we had dinner our last night at the Bellagio Buffet. Very pricey and I always think later, was it worth that kind of money?) The RIO buffet is good too.

The Mob Museum downtown is kind of fun, although sort of static.

If you have a car, a trip outside town to Red Rock Canyon is great. Lots of traffic on the weekends.

A couple of years ago, my son and his family came down and we took a ride on one of those open top buses. Do it at night because this time of year it’s HOT!!

Boulder Dam is interesting, about 45 minutes out of town. If you want to take a dam tour, book it in advance.

There’s lots of shopping but you can do that anywhere you go.
Lots of good places to eat, also. Use YELP or Open Table to do some searching.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g45963-Activities-Las_Vegas_Nevada.html

Posted by: holycarp ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 01:56AM

Are the donkeys still roaming the desert on the way to Red Rocks? We lived in Vegas, Paradise area,left in 1988

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: July 03, 2015 06:18PM

The whole theme of Vegas is now almost family friendly. The dirtiest you could probably find is "Thunder Down Under".

Now it's headliners/singers who are still famous but not hit song today (Celine, Donny & Marie, etc...). So I'm sure you'll find a good show.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: July 03, 2015 10:25PM

My youngest daughter and her boyfriend are going soon. My hopes are that they get married while they are there. They been talking about it. He's a good guy and my wife and I both approve.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 08:25AM

was an afternoon show done by a S&R wannabe magician/animal trainer. Unfortunately I don't remember his name. It was smaller, cheaper (!) and much less ornate than S&R but was still a good show, described as "family friendly." Haven't been to the Trop in a long time, but I'm pretty sure it's been gone for several years.

Another good magic show still running is Mac King at Harrah's, also family friendly and inexpensive. According to one Vegas blog, Mac just entertained his 2,000,000th guest. No big cats though.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 05:02PM

According to the Las Vegas Advisor website, Dirk Arthur and his big cats have got a new gig. I think he's the one I remember from the Trop years ago, but I could be wrong.

http://www.lasvegasadvisor.com/whatsnews.cfm#20662

It's opening at the Westgate starting 24 August, Monday-Saturday at 4:00 PM.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 03, 2015 10:44PM

Family, Mormon friendly ones are many of the magic shows. IDK if it's still around, but there was a magic show at The Tropicana with big cats. I thought that was a lot of fun.
If you don't need to have a timetable look into activities lik Madame Tussuad's, canal trip, going up the Paris mini Eiffel tower, Aquarium at Mandalay Bay. Lots of free stuff to see, too, like the light show at Freemont Street.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 02:04AM

Do you mean Siegfried and Roy? Because they're now retired (ever since the one tiger attacked Roy). However they turned the cats and act over to Dirk Arthur. Same style, same cats. Just no huge cod pieces and sparkling rhinestones.
http://dirkarthur.net/

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 03, 2015 11:09PM

My dear TBM folks drove through Vegas a couple times a year on their way to and from their winter home in Arizona...and they loved to stop and play the slots and go to midnight shows and see the bare breasted showgirls...and they didn't give one damn who knew it because it was none of anybody else's business.

Ron Burr

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 12:20AM

If they ever stopped to see Flower Drum Song at the Thunderbird, in the early 60s, I bussed their table!!!

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 02:14AM

One weird thing to do is visit the Atomic Energy museum (if it is still open). It shows the history/exhibits of test bombs/radiating Mormons... Maybe they thought with polygamy, genetic mutations from fallout might be less apparent?

I like the Bellagio also, and Cirque. I haven't been to the Hard Rock in Vegas, but you can check who might be playing then... Is the Venetian still there, with gondola rides?

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: July 04, 2015 02:34AM

The Venetian is still there, but at this time of year, you might want to try the indoor gondola ride. I would also recommend the Cirque shows, especially Love. While Vegas can be considered Disneyland for adults, there is still a lot of family friendly things to do. By the MGM Grand, there's the M&M store and the Coke store with the giant bottle in front that lights up along with everything else.

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 08:56AM

If you are not afraid of heights, the Stratosphere is nice to go up and have a great veiw of the city.

If you are into rides, there are some extreme rides on top also.

The only show I would avoid is Blue Man Group. I fell asleep in it.

I lived there for 10 years. I went to several shows. The Cirque shows are always good.

And like others have said, Belogio is great. The conservatory and the fountains are always nice to walk around.

Since I moved, they have opened the ferris wheel. Next time I am there, I plan on riding it.

There is lots to do, it just depends on your interests.

Have fun!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 11:38AM

You're about two hours driving distance from Zion's National Park from there. And four hours driving from the Grand Canyon. Zion's is nicer if you just want to look around for a day trip IMO. And not as big to traverse.

The red rock vistas will captivate you and you won't want to go back to Vegas though! Be warned. ;-)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 12:32PM

Go see Penn & Teller at the Rio.
Always a good show, fairly inexpensive, and the duo comes out to mingle with the crowd and take pictures afterwards. :)

Posted by: g0rgone ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 01:39PM

Rent a car & drive 60 miles towrds UT & see the Valley of Fire.... one of the most special & beautiful places on earth. Was home to the Hopi & other indigenous tribes & has been used in many movies, particularly space movies, like Star trek ;)

Its very worth it.

Posted by: adamisfree2006 ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 02:00PM

Besides getting to spend a few days in Vegas with my kids and wife, I also get to see my favorite band, Rush at MGM Sat. July 25th. Even more awesome, is I will attend this concert with my DW and 4 kids. We ALL left LD$ together in 2006. This is a celebratory family trip of sorts.

I am curious about the replies on things to do. Have fun next week!

Posted by: druid ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 05:15PM

Beatles Love was fun. You don't need good seats because a lot happens all around the sides.

Posted by: Heathen ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 06:02PM

OP here. Thanks for all the great ideas.

Wife and I had a great time. My employer put us up at the Venetian...wow, what a place! Caught a show every night, saw Cirque du Soliel Mystere, Rock of Ages, and a CarrotTop show. All were fantastic.

Late at night, after dinner and shows, I played a lot of poker. Was WSOP Main Event week, and the poker scene was hoppin'. Walked away from Vegas a winner; paid for all our expenses!

I want to go back.

Posted by: two words ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 06:08PM

Brittney Spears

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 10:58PM

Glad to hear you had a nice time there.

When I visited last January, I stayed just long enough to pick up my rental car at the airport and drop it off on my way back lol.

But Vegas wasn't my true destination.

It was still nice to get away from the bitter winter of the Northeast where I left from.

Oya vey. Then I learned Saint George has its own airport I could've flied into via a different airline. Live and learn. I liked the direct non-stop route I went on way to Vegas though. It saved lots of time as there was no stop-over mid-way.

The red rock vistas are breathtakingly beautiful, if you ever get back that way, they are worth a visit.

The night life of Vegas is something Saint George does not have. Like you, I miss it already, and look forward to my return. (St. George, not the night life. You know you're getting old, when night life is sitting up at the computer past your bedtime. Or the midnight run to the grocer's if out of milk.)

:P

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2015 11:02PM by amyjo.

Posted by: Elder Chueco ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 12:27AM

I saw Chris Angel and thought it was a good show and I don't even like magic shows.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 12:38AM

Glad you had a good time. I would have suggested Terry Fator. I went to a show he did in Texas after he got his Vegas gig, so I haven't actually seen him in Vegas. The show was hilarious as well as entertaining. My mother-in-law has gone to see him at The Mirage the past two years and she loved it. She is a never-mo but is religious. She wasn't too happy about one of the show characters he had this last time. I guess it was racier than the usual.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2015 12:38AM by formermollymormon.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 02:52AM

Best advice - go in October or so, not now unless you enjoy sweating to death and spending all of your money and deodorant. It will be over 110 degrees. YUCK! Not for a million dollars!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.