Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: whiteandelightsome ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 02:06PM

Like I understand that the apologists are trying really hard to make the Book of Mormon not completely crumble but why the hell would they mean Tarpirs or that sheep actually meant Turkeys???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 02:21PM

Well, what else can they do? They know full well that Joseph knew very little about ancient America. How can they save something that at this point is clearly impossible to save.

DNA and American Archaeology have pretty much finished off Joseph's fictional creation. With it's history in shreds, all that's left is a book of bible quotations.

Posted by: whiteandelightsome ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 02:50PM

I know but do the apologists have ANY good reason as to why they would were down horses?

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 02:58PM

I, quite frankly, don't know as they have any acceptable reason for what they do. I could never be that intellectually dishonest. They have to be blind, stupid or feel that "lying for the Lard" will someday be rewarded.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 02:22PM

They wouldn't, if there were any Nephites.
The apologist spin on "horses" contradicts reports of how the BoM was "translated," with Smith reading the English text from his magic rock in his hat, and the magically appearing text not going away until it was written down exactly as shown to him.
So either "god" who was doing the magic rock writing didn't know a horse from a tapir, or the "translation" didn't go as the reports claimed.
Or, of course, it's all made up.

My vote is for option #3.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 02:28PM

Also played down is all the wonderful interplay between mighty prophet of ghawd Spencer "don't call me Spence!" Kimball and the Navajo Lamanites he saw turning white! "Here is proof!" he would say!

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 03:16PM

Because Jehovah made the Nephites use code words for certain items in order to test OUR faith. For example, horses are not really horses, steel is not really steel, Cumorah is not really Cumorah, compasses are not really compasses, swords are not really swords, "translate" is not the same as "translate", ad nauseum. You have to be like Tapir Dan and read the BofM with your spiritual eyes, and you too can find the hidden code words!

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 09:16PM

That's about it as far as BOM vocabulary is concerned. And then there's the logic and the syntax. The logic tells you that God commands and God punishes, both in unreasonable ways. The repetitive syntax lulls you into carnal security, leading you to believe that the book is true.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 08:39PM

Every time I see the pig-like tapirs at the zoo, I think of the BOM and giggle.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.