Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 03:10PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 03:28PM

Here's the link to "My Plan":
https://www.lds.org/callings/missionary/my-plan?lang=eng
This is something to be excited about! It means the church is losing the RM's and they are desperate to hold on to them.

Posted by: tamboruco ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 05:03PM

To keep a ponzi scheme going you need continual revenue streams. It's all about keeping tithe payers in the pews. I am guessing churchco is looking to develop the land in Florida because of pressing needs for cash. I would not be surprised to see churchco start dumping seminaries, instituties and even some of the schools.

My mission to South America actually started me on my journey out and this was before the DNA information started hitting. My point here is that for many missionaries, the mission causes them to start questioning the church instead of binding them more fully to it. So - keep'em in the groove with another plan to keep the blinders on. Obviously the mission isn't the effective indoctrination tool that it was in years past.

My mission president instructed me to be married within six months of my release. I remember this counsel vividly. I assume that there are some dramatic statistics that tie inactivity in the church directly to postponement of marriage.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 05:06PM

From the link:

"1. My Plan includes eight learning experiences. The first is completed after receiving a mission call but prior to arriving at the MTC."...

"2. As they complete their post-mission plans at the end of their missions, missionaries are invited to share those plans with their parents, home stake presidents, and bishops."...

"3. Returned missionaries are spiritually strengthened when parents and stake and ward leaders nurture them and follow up on the goals and commitments they have made. Stake presidents and bishops should prayerfully consider how to watch over and minister to returned missionaries in their respective areas."...

"4. Every Church member can play a role in encouraging returning missionaries toward continued conversion and service."...

Posted by: lvskeptic ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 04:45PM

I notice that the MP automatically has access to My Plan for each missionary. I know that my MP would have been the last person on this planet that I would have shared anything real with.

Date: July 15, 2015 04:50PM

It sounds kinda creepy...

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 04:51PM

wow, another MORmON program ( just like FHE ) intended to supposedly help insulate the MORmON member from the damaging consequences of being a MORmON member..... I bet that will work really well !!!!!!

Date: July 15, 2015 05:07PM

Just like their current push to have TBM's "keep the Sabbath Day Holy" will do!???

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 05:13PM

This is ridiculous and annoying as hell to read about. So not only does a missionary document what goals they know are expected to list(even though they don't mean it).
They have to list post mission goals for what? School, Marriage, housing plans? Exactly what they want control over. The SP and Bish want to help guide these "adults" after their time served? They don't help anyone but manipulate them to make decisions that are church approved.
Well I will do my good duty to make sure every missionary I know is thinking WTF. Overstepping by LDS leaders for sure..I think they are scared and trying to get ahead of any control damage.Stupid plan though.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 12:13AM

"....online course designed to help missionaries develop post-mission goals."

Most RM's are probably wondering how they will be able to afford and get into college after wasting two years as a missionary and wasting all their spare money. Most missionaries I knew were penniless after their mission unless Mom and Pop paid it all.

This sounds like a nursery school level course designed to hide the fact they are using the same old indoctrination propaganda to get returned missionaries dating, married, and producing Mormon offspring ASAP. Oh, and stay worthy, worthy, worthy and obedient, obedient, obedient.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 05:41PM

"How can we stop the bleed of RMs? Help them set their goals--marriage, marriage, marriage, trap them, trap them, trap them." Good plan.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 06:35PM

Okay, I'm confused. I thought the church lowered the age for missionaries as a way to keep young adults in the church. So why do they need another program to keep RM's in the church? That's what they lowered the age for.

Let's look at some real facts. The church has nothing to offer single members. If you're not passed your sell by date (age 30), you're put in a separate meat-market singles ward where your only goal is to find someone to marry. Too bad more and more people are finding themselves single either by divorce or never marrying, or living with someone without being married.

The church says it'a all about families. But it certainly doesn't want families with two moms or two dads. It may tolerate a family where only one parent is a member of the church, but makes it very clear, you're not the ideal lds family either. The church has a very narrow view of what the perfect member is.

What does the church actually do for families? Other than suck the time, money and vitality out of them?

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 07:05PM

I saw this and it is just more indoctrination... Here's the plan:

1. Primary
2. YW/YM/Scouting
3. Seminary
4. Mission RIGHT after High School (YM)
5. Mission before marriage (YW)
6. MY PLAN
7. Temple marriage/Sealing (depends on if legal marriages will continue in US temples
8. Children
9. Callings
10. WE OWN YOU MOTHER FUCKERS!

There must be damage control lessons covered in My Plan for missionaries who had an overall negative experience on their mission, and which may have introduced topics that made them question the truth claims of TSCC.

Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 11:06PM

This is not "My Plan"....it's "Our Plan We Have For You"
An extension of the all too common and already existing plan mentioned by Doubting Thomas all good TBM's must go through.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 07:11PM

A post-mission plan *could* be a useful tool if it helped a missionary plan for education, military service, or a job hunt. Instead, it sounds like just another tool for guilt. I could see a RM's bishop reviewing the plan and saying, "But you *promised* to faithfully attend church, keep the WoW, pay tithes, etc."

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 07:18PM

Two things strike me after reading through the LDS.org page on this plan:

1. Missionaries are leaving the TSCC when they come home at a higher rate than is acceptable. A friend who was called as a mission president confirmed this to me when he told me his number one goal was to increase the activity level of missionaries LEAVING this mission he was about to take over. CRAZY!

This idea sounds like the invention of a consulting firm.

Problem - Too many missionaries are going inactive after coming home.

Answer - MY PLAN (Thanks to a consulting firm and NOT revelation to a member of the BIG 15.)

2. It is AMAZING to me how the LDS.org site describes returning missionaries. You would think these YM and YW would be the strongest members of the TSCC. Instead the site makes them out to be similar to inactive members that need to be watched over and guided to safety.

It really is bizarre and just one more way TSCC will be intruding into members non-spiritual lives.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 16, 2015 12:22AM

Sounds like these kids are growing-up on their missions and opening their eyes to the great big world out there. When they come home they are not happy to go back to being kids. They had a taste of No-Mo culture and liked it. It sort of reminds me of Eve tasting of the apple and having to leave the garden. It's kind of difficult to put kids back in the "obey like a child" mindset when they've spent a few years outside the Morridor. This is an interesting phenomena. Makes me wonder if they will change the missionary age back so the kids will have a year of BYU indoctrination before being let loose in the wide world of reality.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 07:59PM

This sounds suspiciously like a further journey into the "big brother syndrome"

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 08:06PM

And the sheep will eat it up like it's inspired!!!

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 09:36PM

More inspired drivel to further indoctrinate the poor guy.

Posted by: wretchedman ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 10:49PM

They forgot to add a rule to avoid Google and especially never ever Google book of Abraham or Joseph Smith polygamy or really anything related to mormonism. In fact, just stick to lds.org if you want to use the internet, but don't pay attention to those essays that somehow got on there. You know what, just avoid the internet altogether and get married as soon as possible so you don't become a menace.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 10:57PM

Perfect, they stunt their development for two years, then convince them they can't possibly manage their own lives.

This stranglehold will backfire, like all their other inspired programs of torture and control. =) Yay!

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 11:12PM

Here's the plan TSCC DOES NOT want RM's to follow:

1. Read the CES Letter.

2. Read everything on MormonThink.com

3. Read everything on Richard Packham's site

4. Read the "Changing World of Mormonism" @ http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/changecontents.htm

5. Read "The Value of a Returned Missionary" @ https://www.lds.org/pages/areapresidency/2012/august?lang=eng&country=au

In that article it states: . . . "Consider this important point: a young man who faithfully serves a mission will likely marry in the temple and a raise a righteous family. His children, and their children, will also likely grow up to be active faithful members of the Church. [Here's the important point] In three generations that young returned missionary’s posterity will probably account for over eighteen active adult tithe-paying members."

Conclusion: It's all about the money. A good majority will then leave TSCC.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 11:39PM

Good plan :)

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 10:57PM

TSCC IS "myplan" is tell us all your secrets so we will know how many guns to draw on you.

IT'S A CARD GAME!

TMC: show us your cards. We want/ NEED to know if we need to draw another one or fold.

Posted by: HopiBon! ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 11:17PM

So you just gave 2 years to selling this arguably lousy product. You think you're an adult now and can finally start to make your own choices?

Think again.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 11:52PM

irritating = putting your personal life on hold for two years while serving a mission,

aggravation beyond comprehension to the brink of having suicide begin to sound appealing = finally completing a mission, being exhausted, thinking you can relax a little bit because you are finally paid up on your dues to THE church for a while, then being informed that a mission was just a preparatory boot camp phase on the way to breaking you in so THE church could really begin more fully using you for the rest of your life.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: July 15, 2015 11:33PM

Their morale is not good after coming off being owned by the Cult 24/7 while on their mission, so the Cult's answer is to continue a program after the mission to own them 24/7.

The TBMs don't need it. It may keep a couple fence sitters, but will drive the questioners even further away. The Cult's answer is to grab more tightly, and hope to keep a few fence sitters by keeping them busy and not giving them time to think.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: July 30, 2015 02:12PM

"My Plan" my ass!

It's the "churches plan" for the individual to secure long term profit gain.

Individual goals, dreams and life plans be damned!

Bu calling it "My" plan it replaces the church with the individual and makes them think its a personal effort.

It's the same as having Jesus Christ in the name of the church.

"see we are Christians, the name is even in our name".

"It's my personal plan, not the churches. See "my" means it's mine, not the church".

Keep them children for life and dependent on the parent which is the church, and that plan gets policed continually by those who will "nurture" the RM.

Nurture of course has a different meaning inside the church than outside.

Orwellian. Not a cult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2015 02:18PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: July 31, 2015 11:22PM

I remember being a young married and thinking, they are nuts! I'd go to church and hear...

Pay a full tithe.

Get married.

Get out of debt/stay out of debt.

Get an education.

Buy a home.

Wives should stay at home.

Have many children and do it now.

Even as a good TBM, I knew they should add attain world peace to the list--it was impossible to do all the things they were pushing. Now they've added scrubbing toilets. The thing is, they know that guilt traps people.

I feel for my TBM niece who is a genius. She finished her full ride bachelors degree in math. Then she married her RM and promptly had three kids. They live in a tiny trailer and she's one bitter, unhappy woman.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.