Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cahomegrown ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 10:26AM

I left the golden state 4 years ago, seeking lower cost of living, better schools, job and family opportunities, etc. Bought a house in a lovely neighborhood...in Happy Valley.
It's been good, really..the original reasons for moving here have been a success.
It's also been hard: I've never lived in a place where what religion you are or aren't is the first topic.
The lovely neighbors still wave, but ever since my husband told the missionaries that our family isn't ever going to convert the love bombing changed. We literally are the only non members in our neighborhood - and it's mentioned, a lot.
"We're so glad you're here! Are you SURE your daughter doesn't want to go to camp with us? Are you SURE your son doesn't want to go to EFY? Are you SURE you don't want to join us at church for______?"
Yes, we're sure.
When I first came to this forum, it was to try to understand our environment better, and it's helped very much. Having a place to vent, ask questions, has been a big blessing- thank you!

We've been able to help support those who are leaving TSSTC, help kids who are questioning (breaks my heart how many will be going on Missions, for fear of shunning or rejection) and provide an example of a normal good family that isn't in the shackles of Mormonism.
What a poignant time to be here in Utah, watching this story unfold!
I hold up my French vanilla coffee and say, "cheers"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 11:06AM

You are a brave individual, and must have very resilient children!

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 11:08AM

Happy anniversary! I hope you stay, Utah needs you :)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 05:31PM

Curiosity question: Do your kids have any mormon BFFs?

Posted by: Cahomegrown ( )
Date: August 01, 2015 06:27PM

Yes, we are brave, like pioneers even! Thank you brandywine, it's tough, but SOMEONE has to take a coffee cup into the PTA meetings!
Fortunately for the kids, they blend in easily.
Answer to elder dog: Their first BFF's were the Stake President's daughter and the Bishop's son. And yes, 99% of their friends are LDS (according to my son who's going to be a senior: all the non mo's are the "goth kids")
Our families never made it to actual friendship, (obvious reason) but being part of the same school activities, it's a pleasant acquaintance type relationship now. Both were pretty hard core on the invitations in the beginning.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.