Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: whywait ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 10:13PM

My co-workers divorce from his husband is expected to be final tomorrow. The two were college students and just out of the closet when gay marriage became legal in New York.

They celebrated by getting married. They moved to Atlanta after graduation and the marriage quickly failed. Georgia did not recognize gay marriage and therefore did not grant gay divorce.

At any rate, they were able to file papers when gay marriage became legal and will be divorced tomorrow. His lawyer thinks it will be the first gay divorce in Georgia.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lush ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 10:16PM

Straight people problems am I right!

Date: August 03, 2015 10:19PM

Of course straight people have a major divorce problem.

If you are asking if they had a problem caused by straight people, I don't think so. Their problem was one shared by many straight people, i.e. rushing into a marriage just because they could.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 10:24PM

+1

Posted by: lush ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 10:24PM

No I was just making a pointless comment!

I support gay marriage. Defenders of traditional marriage like to claim gay marriage will destroy traditional marriage. Know what destroys traditional marriage? Divorce, not ss couples getting married.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2015 10:31PM by lush.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 10:26PM

Regarding pointless comments, you have to know where you've been in order to know where you're going. Or in the alternative, if you don't know where you're going, you can never get lost.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: August 03, 2015 11:36PM

One issue I read about is that some states are considering ending benefits for partners now that marriage is available for gays.

This means that some gays must come out and get married to continue getting benefits. And in some states, there are no laws prohibiting discrimination against them, so they might well lose their jobs and homes if they have to marry.

Oh what a tangled web the govt weaves.

Date: August 03, 2015 11:41PM

My company is ending domestic partner benefits. Those were available because gay marriage was not recognized in most state's where we have offices. They were only available to gay employees.

Now that gay marriage is an option, the company will accept no new gay domestic partner benefit couples after Nov. 1. And starting Jan. 1, 2017, we will eliminate all domestic partner benefits.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 12:43AM

I would give anything to have a domesticated partner. Mine is sooooo effing wild!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.