Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: June 27, 2015 01:10PM

Three years ago today, sithlord told me that he no longer believed the church to be true. I was devastated, and cried my heart out for at least a week. Then I grew angry and determined to save him from his folly. Three weeks later, I was exmo as well.

A lot has happened in those three years:

1) We lost most of our "friends". We discovered that the majority of Mormons are "friendly" as long as you remain loyal to the tribe.

2) We made lots of new friends, thanks to a large and active exmo group in the Portland area.

3) Sithlord's family was ecstatic, since they are nevermo. My family has been a mixed bag. I came from a family that's a great example of Mormonism gone wrong. I cut contact with almost all of them a couple of weeks ago.

4) We became grandparents of an adorable little girl, who will be two in October. We were estranged from our oldest son for a time, but things are great now. We have five sons, and the other four are out!

5) Sithlord's mother died suddenly last year. It was a shock to us all, but she left a great legacy of many acts of service, as well as two fine sons.

6) I got accepted to grad school, which I start this fall. I'll be a therapist when I finish.

7) I've taken my life back! No more obedience. I have done a great job learning self care, and following pursuits that make me happy. Sithlord is my biggest cheerleader! I can't thank him enough for having the courage to leave the church!

Freedom tastes fabulous!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: June 27, 2015 01:21PM

Thanks for sharing. My life has improved greatly since leaving LDS, Inc. as well.

I have a sister who has drifted away from Mormonism and now has found an Evangelical group who speaks in tongues. She has been diagnosed by the family therapist as a classic narcissist. It pains me but I just cannot take her any more. We aren't precisely "estranged" but we live in the same city and meet only for Christmas and birthdays to exchange gifts. That's enough for me. It takes strength to cut that cord with family but your own health and safety along with that of your immediate family takes priority. My sister's daughter had to insist that my sister not babysit the child. She agonized over this but just couldn't allow my sister to possibly treat her own child the way she was treated.

Twojedis, good luck with the degree. I hope you are able to help lots of people, especially those abused by LDS, Inc.

Posted by: straightoutacumorah ( )
Date: June 27, 2015 02:11PM

Its been just a little over 3 years for myself as well. I remember reading a lot of your posts as I was dealing with getting out myself. I am glad to hear your recovery is going well :)

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: June 27, 2015 02:17PM

So that's what that cheering was that I heard while driving on I-205 to Damascus (OR) yesterday evening.

May the Force be with you, always.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: June 27, 2015 02:18PM

I'm very happy for you twojedis. I'm glad you are enjoying your freedom so much.

I've always liked reading your posts.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: June 27, 2015 04:24PM

A grandparent, and starting grad school! That's fantastic. I've often thought that I'd like to branch out and do something different, but felt too far along in life to do it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: June 27, 2015 05:20PM

Glad to hear things are going so well for you and your family. Wish we were closer so we could eat more steaks. Our youngest two - one is starting grad school and the other will be a senior. He is studying for the MCAT.

We moved to be closer to the grand kids. TSCC has not discovered us yet at our new home. Our daughter has a next door neighbor in the cult so every new set of missionaries gets the suggestion to meet and great.

You are going to be a really good therapist. So excited for you.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: June 27, 2015 05:33PM

Everyone says that when I tell them of my plans. I hope to do a lot of good in the world.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 04, 2015 08:32PM

You already have. Two years ago I posted as Phillipafarewll and you were kind and encouraging. I always remembered you and your kindness to me. I'm grateful to be out and for support from you and all the posters here at RfM.Good luck with your schooling!

Posted by: goodeye ( )
Date: August 05, 2015 08:34AM

If you don't mind me asking what helped you see the "light" (as it were) after your husband told you that he no longer believed in the church?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2015 08:35AM by goodeye.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: August 05, 2015 08:41AM

Can I meet you and the sithlord next time I'm visiting Portland? I have wanted to meet you and others from Portland these many years. I don't know when that will be again. I live and work some 3,000 miles away now, but I have a very active TBM sister over by Bob's Red Mill, and will try to be visiting her within a year.

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: August 05, 2015 02:30PM

Congratulations on being free, on your family and on beginning grad school. You will be a fabulous therapist!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 05, 2015 02:37PM

You hit the ground running! You go girl. So proud of you and Sithlord.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.