Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 07, 2015 11:02PM

yet another dishonest puff piece.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 07:43AM

Not a puff piece at all. They are obviously getting push-back from hard-core TBMs claiming that some information on LDS.org is written by "liberal media" INSIDE the Church, and is not reflective of the mind and will of the Q15, which in effect says it did not come from the Lard.

Interestingly, it was not the Gospel Topics essays that were mentioned as trouble spots, but the Church accepting the BSA policy of allowing gay Scouts, and the Church's call for immigration reform. Otterson said that yes indeed, everything on LDS.org is thoroughly vetted and approved by GAs. Apparently the KKK wing of Mormonism, that is, the hard core homophobes and xenophobes, do not like what they are hearing, and are murmuring against the Brethren.

The Boise Rescue comments by Oaks and Turley also came down hard on murmuring from the so-called conservative wing of Mormonism. There was heavy emphasis the GAs being the only ones authorized to lead and guide the church.

There's trouble in paradise when the nut-job-devout murmur.

Some of Otterson's other comments were interesting too. He commented that the Q15 do not receive huge salaries. I tend to agree with him, though "huge" is a pretty flexible term. I think they get a few hundred thousand and some serious perks, like free tuition and use of vacation properties. But secret mansions? Seriously?

He also went into some detail about how women are involved in high level internal administrative decisions in the Church. I thought that was extraordinary. I've been claiming for some time here that LDS Inc will have to give women at all levels of the Church more administrative rights and responsibilities. This, IMHO, is clearly part of that.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 08:23AM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some of Otterson's other comments were interesting too. He commented that the Q15 do not receive huge salaries.

Not huge is a relative term. Perhaps they are not huge compared to similar salaries for the CEO/top 15 of any other major corporation. Plus, they likely get at least the same amount of allowances and perks as those of a mission president. And those have been documented.

> He also went into some detail about how women are involved in high level internal administrative decisions in the Church.

That would mean that women would have to actually hold high level administrative positions in the church. Who would that be, exactly? The facilities manager? The head of IT? Anyone?

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 12:44PM

How would he know? He doesn't have any idea. That information is confidential and he only knows enough to refute speculation.

Posted by: Canuck guy ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 11:53AM

I had thought the rogue comment was more connected to the BSA decision, which seemed to be rather petulant and self-absorbed and not a very measured response, and had drawn criticism suggesting the PR department had perhaps got carried away where the GAs would have been more careful. Now I guess we know that, no, the GAs would not have been more careful, they were happy with the message conveyed that I thought sounded a bit like a temper tantrum.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 12:33PM

My uncle was the official church spokesman for a number of years. I asked him once how much of his official statements he crafted, and how much of them came directly from the "brethren." He smiled, and said, "Oh, sometimes I write the rough drafts, but *everything* comes from or is approved by them. If I ever said anything they hadn't already approved, I'd be dumped in a heartbeat."

So I tend to take it that if Otterson said it, the "brethren" have approved it.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 12:47PM

I totally agree with that and "the brethren" are the top 6 or 7 "apostles." The FNG's don't have any pull and don't get a final say on anything.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 12:35PM

If, as Otterson suggests, the salary is not a big deal. And these guys are taking such a huge pay cut. Why not make the compensation public? You can publish what they were making before if you like. But when you're talking about an organization that makes families, young people just starting out in life, and retirees to make massive sacrifices to "serve"--I don't see why these self-righteous starched shirts are exempt from the same kind of sacrifices.

The comments about women were kind of odd. It seems like feminism is only making modest inroads as a luxury for the women at the top of the structure in contemporary Mormonism. Still, an advisory board pleading the case to the brethren is different than being in charge.

Mr. Ottersen points to the strident tone as what went wrong for LDS, Inc. on LGBT issues, but not the underlying policies and doctrine. What does he think led to the strident rhetoric? If your doctrine (read "teaching" this is not a magical word that defines definition) and policy is that homosexual acts are a malignant and serious sin, what in hell's name do you expect in terms of rhetoric to come forward?

It's almost as if there is an upper class of people running LDS, Inc. who, at this juncture, are almost barefacedly in on the con. They are in an all out brawl trying to keep the ship of Mormonism afloat with a combination of concessions to satisfy liberals and strident assertions of authority to satisfy the conservatives. This must upset the TBMs, who are unaware of this little war to avoid embarrassment in the public discourse and see the church move away from a previous position, or what they thought (perhaps with good reason) was the LDS position.

I don't envy the PR team's job, but of course I think they should all quit and get a drink.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 05:35PM

snowball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If, as Otterson suggests, the salary is not a big
> deal. And these guys are taking such a huge pay
> cut. Why not make the compensation public? You
> can publish what they were making before if you
> like.

LD$ Inc and its MORmONISM has NOTHING to hide !!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUcyR7Qv_1o

> It's almost as if there is an upper class of
> people running LDS, Inc. who, at this juncture,
> are almost barefacedly in on the con. They are
> in an all out brawl trying to keep the ship of
> Mormonism afloat with a combination of concessions
> to satisfy liberals and strident assertions of
> authority to satisfy the conservatives.

and it is not working on other end, so everybody ends up upset, there is a MORmON PR winner for everyone.

> This must
> upset the TBMs, who are unaware of this little war
> to avoid embarrassment in the public discourse and
> see the church move away from a previous position,
> or what they thought (perhaps with good reason)
> was the LDS position.
>
> I don't envy the PR team's job,

Riding their sinking MORmON ship to the bottom, It could not happen to a more deserving bunch of MORmON @$$holes and ASSpostHOLES

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 01:44PM

Rogue!??? What do they mean by that???

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 02:50PM

I don't know. Ask Sarah Palin.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 02:30PM

<<Every word the LDS Church's Public Affairs Department issues on behalf of the Utah-based faith has been vetted and approved by higher Mormon authorities, the church's top spokesman said Friday.>>

But will the 1st Presidency actually affix their signatures to every word from the PR guys? Mmmmmmmmm, no.

Posted by: antilehinephi ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 02:35PM

Where's TSM the prophet, SEER, and revelator in all of this?

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 02:41PM

LDS is going rouge . . . as in "putting lipstick on a pig."

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 04:09PM

+1

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 03:37PM

Otterson was a journalist in England before he became employed by the cult. A real oxymoron here.....a journalist is trained to observe and report FACTS, as in who, what, where, why and when.
It is my not so humble opinion that a person making the switch of employments as Otterson did, does not now deserve to be called a journalist.

He is a former journalist who is now going against the rules of the trade that he was taught.

....and all for Fame and, probably, money.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 03:47PM

The brethren and their huge monetary sacrifices. Please. They knew the trade off and willingly signed up for the prestige, power and perks, such as lifetime security for them, and their families, book royalties, all expenses and medical paid...

BKP was a teacher. He and his family ended up wealthy... If they continue griping about the sacrifice, quit, due to "financial hardship." These men are worshipped everywhere they go. If they have regret, it is that their peers left them in the dust-career wise, and nobody outside of Mormonism knows, or cares who they are.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 03:56PM

These guys are each making big bucks. Their excuse when I used to be a member, coming from lay members was "They did so well as private businessmen, they deserve to be recompensed comparable to what they had been earning prior to taking over their GA jobs (or PR jobs, etc.)

From a journalist to a PR spokesman for LDS Inc, for sure, would come with a commanding high salary to make it worth his while.

And the G15? Since none of their salaries are made public, they can blow smoke every day until Sunday, and really believe the dumb ass lay members are too ignorant to care how well or how much or where their tithing dollars are really going.

CEO's in comparable positions of not-for-profits, and churches, including the Catholic, are earning between $400,000-$1,000,000 plus in base salaries, and perks. The G15 earns at least that, and more considering their massive investments and stock portfolios.

Without any transparency, we will never know their true net worth. LDS top echelon is full of smoke and screens, and tomfoolery to try and make anyone believe they are not getting wealthy off of the fraud of Mormonism. They fooled my parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, and so on.

Damn, and millions of others who worked hard all their lives giving endlessly to the church to prop up these puppeteers so they could continue to railroad us into the ground into never ending subservience to the corporate fraud that we knew and trusted as the "only true church."

Date: August 08, 2015 07:35PM

THE book deal with LD$ Inc's Deseret Book alone when a person becomes a MORmON ASSpostHOLE of THE (MORmON) church is worth Millions of dollars, far exceeding any supposed paltry salary that the MORmON ASSpostHOLIC BreathUrine also receive. Its a guaranteed thing, THE ASSpostHOLE does not have to do a thing except lend his name to the MORmON screed that will be printed / published and peddled to the gullible MORmON membership. IF he feels exceptionally ambitious then he can even actually write some chapters.

and Thus we see how irritating that it really was to the MORmON
ASSpostHOLES when their uppity Underling Paul Dunn was selling more books through Deseret Book than they were. The situation became even more aggravated when Paul's stories were exposed as overly fanciful faith promoting tales (LIES).

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 04:50PM

This article made my blood pressure rise. Otterson is one smooth talking PR Pawn who sums up the subjects he takes on very well. I think he is lying through his teeth, and he does it just like ole smooth talkin' Joey.

It makes me more than livid that the cult is too chicken to do the talking themselves, and have lawyers always on hand to make sure that, should some slip-up occur, they can jump in and cover the a** of whoever goofed.

AND, it all works on the sweat, tears, and kind hearts of the peons they continually trample. Who gives a shit if Rosie's kids have to stay alone at night while she works just as long as she pays her 10%?

Who cares? It's for damn sure none of the BlackSuits do or the elite who work for them.

My ranting? Well, it probably is not over.

The cult?, well I hope it goes to hell soon.

Date: August 08, 2015 05:24PM

Rest ASSured, MORmONS !!!!!

Every Official manipulative MORmON BS PR Yarn fed to you by the LD$ Inc PR dept is approved by the top MORmON leaders of LD$ Inc.

Or in other words, every LIE fed to you by disgusting sanctimonious @$$holes like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=butD2ubhknY

has been approved by the even more disgusting sanctimonious MORmON ASSpostHOLES like these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srILFPwAAuU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CiyrZd-kB0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxmNEX61PhI

Posted by: antilehinephi ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 07:36PM

Why didn't an apostle roll out the photo of the rock?

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 07:41PM

Plausible deniability. You know, in case the whole thing backfired.

Kathleen

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.