Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Britboy ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 08:04AM

Ive always wondered why the church didnt produce a modern English language version of the BOM? I thought it would make it simplier and help converts. I just goggled , Book of Mormon modern english version, There are several produced by individuals. I started reading one and just burst out laughing! It sounds like some ten year olds fairy story! Its so basic and just plain poor! I now know why it hasnt been translated in to modern english! Its only the KJV english that makes it sound religious! Even less would be fooled by old Joes nonsense!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sonofabish ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 09:11AM

The "old English" has some things that are just hard to read such as "discover unto". The word show would have been just as effective, nay, more effective. It was common for te time
Period for writers to take several paragraphs to say a simple thing though as many were paid by the word.

Posted by: the investigator ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 10:31AM

i would like to see one in plain English without the needless repetition in the same paragraph. It would probably be shorter than the CES letter.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 11:06AM

Exactly...remove all the fluff and it's painfully obvious how stupid the book is. The King James English doesn't add anything, so removing it doesn't change the meaning, imagery, etc... It just helps you realize that the BoM is one of the worst books ever written. I think most 23-25 year olds today could write better, more complex stories.

Posted by: the1itwas2 ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 04:30PM

I noticed the same thing reading the BoM in other languages. It's 1 a lot easier to understand and 2 a lot more obvious how dumb it is. The Finnish translation by far is laughably simple. I was reading it fluently by my third semester of the language when I could barely keep up with the simplest newspaper articles.

Posted by: wannabfree ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 06:42PM

The gift of tongues! Hellelujah! <needs sarcasm font, not a typo>

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 04:33PM

Several years ago after my TBM family moved to Idaho, we tried reading the BOM aloud nightly as a family. It was written so badly that I and my TBM parents often said the correct English words over what was written!! Needless to say my TBM parent's didn't try that one again !!! Thank Goodness!!

Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 05:19PM

https://en.wikisource.org/w/index.php?title=Book_of_Mormon_(Plain_English_Version)&oldid=5456280

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2015 05:21PM by generationofvipers.

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 06:39PM

A number of years back I attempted to produce a modern English version of the BofM for the Restoration Fellowship in Jesus Christ. I got about 3/4 of the way done and it still put me to sleep. "And it came to pass" accounted for between 20 and 30% of the total words. The BofM was a magic shrinking sleeping aide.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 07:07PM

It's amazing what fluff language, elegant paper, and leather binding will do for otherwise stupid words.

Posted by: danielson ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 07:23PM

Back when I was a teenager I got into an argument about this. A Christian friend of mine gave me a NIV bible, and my dad was pissed! He's not even very TBM, either. He told me that the King James Version is the only acceptable version of the bible. It just seemed so ridiculous to me that God would want us to study his 'word' in incomprehensible medieval language. Now I totally get why the BoM isn't in modern English - the bible language is the only thing that gives it a veneer of legitimacy, even if it's a thin one. Also never got why you're supposed to pray in medieval tongue either? They say it's out of 'respect'? More ludicrous jackoff rules to follow for no apparent reason.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.