Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 01:52PM

Yup a real solid lead....

"So this week we were trying to find and talk to the 3 solid potential families in this area, so we drove out a ways to where one lived and found out that the dad is in jail, and the rest of the family is in Red Deer... So that was a bummer. But hopefully we will be able to find more solid potentials this week."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 01:55PM

So heart warming...NOT. Can't imagine a mission in "The Chuck".

RB

Posted by: Imbolc ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 03:07PM

To a missionary, every potential investigator is "solid", I've noticed. No matter how tenuous. If they say hi to someone on the street, they say, "Hey, we came across several solid potentials today." As though it means something. And even some of their actual investigators, if they can be called that, are "solid" if they give them the time of day. Of course, these are the same people who dodge them, break appointments, can't be reached for weeks on end. I guess it is a requirement to make everything that happens every day sound positive. Just think what kind of blogs we could really enjoy if missionaries were given free reign to write without proscriptions.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 05:58PM

Another complex issue I've seen reduced to a simple solution, followed immediately by a baptism:

Sr. Hernandez & Sra. Gomez have been living together for ten years and have three children, but were never formally wed. But they commit to baptism so then they have to be chivied to get all the paperwork they'll need to get married! I've seen a number of weekly letters with photos of the wedding, followed by photos of the baptism the next day.

I know why they don't have to wait for a period of time (so they can pump up that month's 'tisms), but what's the pretext for absolving them of the their 'sins'?

Same with drinking and smoking! They only have to say they're a few days 'clean', and into the fount they go!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 06:04PM

Looks like the situation hasn't improved since my years in the Alberta-Saskatchewan mission in the early '70s. Except I doubt the current mission president is as big an @sshole as mine was.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.